leanring ICE rigid bodies

Discussions about simulation, hair and cloth in SOFTIMAGE©
julius

leanring ICE rigid bodies

Post by julius » 16 Apr 2013, 21:45

hi all,

I'm learning ICE rigid bodies with a brickwall destruction, and don't find how to apply a specific mass, apply gravity and so on to obstacles...
It's so easy for particles, but for obstacles, I don't understand : the "simulate bullet rigid bodies" doesn't have any port about that.

Can anyone give me the tip please ?

Thanks

gustavoeb

Re: leanring ICE rigid bodies

Post by gustavoeb » 17 Apr 2013, 00:46

Obstacles are passive bodies... so they tend to be... passive.
If you want to add some other objects that interact with your wall in a true bidirectional way you should do so by adding them to the icetree as particles
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

julius

Post by julius » 17 Apr 2013, 15:55

ok, thanks, I did'nt know that obstacles couldn't be active...

julius

Post by julius » 17 Apr 2013, 23:07

Hi again,

I come back with a more general question about soft and rigid bodies in softimage : is it worth to learn the original non ICE system ? or ICE totally replace the old one ?

Thanks

grahamef

Post by grahamef » 17 Apr 2013, 23:47

It depends on what you are trying to do. The non-ICE rigid bodies allows for more accuracy (exact shape for both active and passive objects) but it requires more objects in the scene so it makes sense if you have not-too-many large-ish objects to simulate, e.g., barrels falling and rolling. ICE particle-based rigid bodies are less accurate (at best convex hull for particles and exact shape for obstacles if you are using Bullet, or at best bounding box/sphere for particles and convex hull for obstacles if you are not using Bullet) so it makes sense for small-ish debris, etc., that doesn't get too close to the camera.

julius

Post by julius » 18 Apr 2013, 00:04

ok, thanks. So the old system is still usefull !
It's strange that the ICE one can't take the exact shape into account... Seem's to be an essential feature.