kristinka hair

Discussions about simulation, hair and cloth in SOFTIMAGE©
wayfarer

kristinka hair

Post by wayfarer » 23 Jul 2012, 19:45

hi, any body know what is transform null in simulation_one_point example?
and should i use "kh3 deform hair" node in this example, cause my character is far from world origin and walk around.
i set an expression for point cloud and mesh_emitter too put them in world origin, and it's worked for short hairs with no simulation but i don't know what should i do with this one, i try to parent mesh_emitter to my character head bone and parent nurbs_filter and point cloud to my character neck, but it dosen't work, it's too complicated for my knowledge, any help will be appreciated. thankyou

Mathaeus

Re: kristinka hair

Post by Mathaeus » 23 Jul 2012, 21:17

hello wayfarer,

"world origin" exactly means: if you un-parent your point cloud, to be under scene root, by selecting it, you should see into MCP: scale 1,1,1 rotate 0,0,0 translate 0,0,0. Same applies to emitter.
If ICE point cloud and emitter are parented, all parents should be at world origin, too.
COG could be anywhere (COG = center of geometry, or "visual" center). "Transform null" does not represent anything meaningful, here.

Unfortunately you can't foolish ICE by moving the point cloud back. In ICE, getting the position from location, overrides local transform. Getting the position by measuring the distance, takes the local transforms into account - for example, by factory "modulate by null" nodes, against moved ICE tree carrier. If you move ICE point cloud, emitted from location, particles will stay on emitter, but 'point position' attribute will have a negative offset. In short, if I'd want to allow local transforms, I'd need to create a special "modulate by null" node, as well as tons of delta compensations inside the kH nodes. All that probably won't work with extra plugins, exports and so.

If "having a character moved", means only skeleton that is moved, but SI model is at world origin, you just need to un-parent the ICE point cloud and emitter, down to root of model. If SI model is moved, then you have a problem. If second, maybe you can parent the ICE point cloud, emitter and everything else related to ICE hair, under another model which is at world origin.

Honestly I don't know what are consequences of having SI model, enveloped mesh, ICE point cloud.... not at world origin. Since I had to deal with various exports from SI, since XSI 4, I've learned to always keep these things at world origin ( otherwise, a lot of things jumping all around, even long before ICE times).

Cheers

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer » 25 Jul 2012, 08:14

thank you Mathaeus, i really appreciate you generous help, i wanna use simulation_one_point hair in my character, and ok, i try not to move my emdl root with my character so i can fix point cloud in world origin but my character walk around, could you give me step by step instruction based on simulation_one_point? which part should be parent to head bone? where is the place for point cloud in hierarchy, and is it necessary to use "kh3 deform hair" in my case?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 25 Jul 2012, 16:58

well no problem for step by step... however I need to say that in last three years, no one remote advice worked with this stuff. At least, when it comes to deformation or simulation. Nice number of static hairdos, movement only by people who already are able to do similar ICE system, more or less...
And I really have no idea how to make it simpler, still in bounds of free stuff.

Anyway if you want to break the barrier, here are a few simulation setups - a long post from 31.december.

Basically, it's comparable with shape keys/morphing : all styling before 'kH Deform Hair' node belongs to 'base shape' (you can call it reference pose too) - this one is here to stay unchanged, in order to provide info to SI, from where to start. Deformed emitter is a kind of shape key.
If there is a simulation, no need for 'kh deform hair'. First frame of simulation is a 'base shape'.

As I said, point cloud should stay at world origin, together with all parents of point cloud. Of course, this considers *only* SRT of point cloud (do not select and move it). Strands can go anywhere, just as enveloped mesh.

I think it would be nice for us to go to mentioned thread, for any further.

Cheers

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer » 28 Jul 2012, 07:08

thank you man, i go to that thread for future