Sycloth and Syflesh no proper collision

Discussions about simulation, hair and cloth in SOFTIMAGE©
Caveman

Sycloth and Syflesh no proper collision

Post by Caveman » 07 Apr 2011, 10:16

Hi! guys. The collision between Syflesh and Sycloth isn't working correctly. The cloth interacts properly to the collision when, collision is applied to the cloth only, and not to the flesh. But when I try to collide the flesh with the cloth, although they collide the cloth doesn't seem to show any impact of the collision. I have lowered the stiffness and damping of the cloth and checked but it was the same. Any suggestion?

I have attached the file.

Cheers
Attachments
SyflexFlesh.rar
(67.75 KiB) Downloaded 192 times

Caveman

Re: Sycloth and Syflesh no proper collision

Post by Caveman » 07 Apr 2011, 18:18

No help? :((

origin

Post by origin » 07 Apr 2011, 20:10

im not syflex expert but heres working scene. i didnt bother to fix your settings but recreated it with syflex default settings. one thing i learned that these damn 0,00001 values are very sensitive...one bad change and syflex explodes.
Attachments
SyflexFlesh.rar
(95.7 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 08 Apr 2011, 05:30

origin wrote:im not syflex expert but heres working scene. i didnt bother to fix your settings but recreated it with syflex default settings. one thing i learned that these damn 0,00001 values are very sensitive...one bad change and syflex explodes.
Hi origin thanks for replying. :)) I could not figure out what you have fixed? The Ball needs to be the flesh and the Trampoline below it needs to be the cloth. :D You did the opposite. And although the ball hits the cloth the cloth is not reacting to the collision, just like I said in my post. When both of them interacts correctly the ball would pull the cloth with it to a certain extent and then the cloth would recoil and pull the ball back. But this is not happening in your and mine scenes.

You will have to add the collide mesh to both of them for the interaction to happen, which you haven't. You have applied the collide mesh to the ball only, not to the trampoline.

Without changing any of your settings, let the trampoline settle down, then set a current state for it and then check if the cloth reacts to the collision. It won't react.

Is this is a bug or what? ~x(
Last edited by Caveman on 08 Apr 2011, 09:10, edited 2 times in total.

origin

Post by origin » 08 Apr 2011, 07:28

i see. this is what i got after i played your scene. which shows that syflex inter cloth collisions are not bidirectional...
Attachments
flsh.JPG
flsh.JPG (28.51 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 08 Apr 2011, 09:03

Yes. I have not set the ball to collide with the cloth to show that the cloth stretches like it is intended. But once I set the ball to collide with the cloth the previous collision gets overridden. This is definitely a bug or maybe I am not doing it the right way.

How come no one ever notice this? :-l
Last edited by Caveman on 08 Apr 2011, 09:36, edited 2 times in total.

origin

Post by origin » 08 Apr 2011, 09:15

like i said...not bidirectional...dont think it's a bug but limitation of syflex. only one cloth in pair can have active collision mod. in your example soft/rigid body solver would be better.

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 08 Apr 2011, 09:39

It would seem like I keep comparing Softimage with Maya, but if Syflex can allow that same thing in Maya why not in Softimage? X(

One other major nag, that I have found is.

If after a simulation, we want to increase the subdivision of the mesh, the simulation would still be using the previous mesh and apply the subdivision after the simulation is complete. That means, if we simulate a cloth and later find that we need more res, because in the current res we are not getting the desired wrinkles and so we subdivide the mesh thinking that it might increase the details, sadly it won't. We would just get a smoothed result not a detailed result.
:-l

origin

Post by origin » 08 Apr 2011, 10:05

can you show me your result in maya.
doc says nothing about full cloth-cloth collision with both bodies affecting each other, it says only about cloth layering, when one cloth affects the other.
when you create cloth it creates cluster with spring/mass weight maps. you need to update them if you change your base mesh. (get -set cloth points etc..)

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 08 Apr 2011, 10:53

Nope. I don't have Syflex for Maya. But the DT Tutorial DVD from which I am learning shows that it can be done in Maya.