Rendertimes with Ryzen 9

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
starcow

Rendertimes with Ryzen 9

Post by starcow » 30 Jul 2019, 12:02

Does anyone know how much the rendering speed will benefit from the cores of the new Ryzen?
I vary between a Ryzen 7 3700X with 8 cores and a Ryzen 9 3900X with 12 cores.
For the time being, I still render under Mental Ray, but will probably switch to Red Shift in the future.
Is the extra charge worthwhile on a Ryzen 9 regarding the Rendertimes?

Cheers, starcow

MKXSI

Re: Rendertimes with Ryzen 9

Post by MKXSI » 30 Jul 2019, 14:15

Isnt Red Shift GPU Render Engine only?

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 30 Jul 2019, 17:49

FYI Redshift is only GPU and the dev is stopped only few bug fix, no IPR, no internal denoiding ....

"There were recently a good few complaints in the forums regarding Redshift’s Softimage support. Some of these had to do with the lack of RenderView (which is hard or even impossible to support in XSI), others had to do with omissions in our online documentation and others about missing recently-introduced features like custom AOVs and per-light AOVs.

As I’m sure most of you already know, the Softimage market has dropped to almost nothing - which is hardly surprising considering it has been EOL’d for a good two years now. We’ve been trying to maintain support for it for the last few years and, in some cases, doing so even though we knew that we wouldn’t really see a return for our investment. We did it because the XSI community really embraced Redshift in its early days so we felt we had to give something back. So things like new render options and new shaders were also appearing on Softimage.

But the recent forum complaints have now put us in a very difficult position: on one hand, we’re happy to keep maintaining the core/shaders and render options but, on the other hand, we have some angry XSI users who demand that all features appear for it. We’re *not* saying that these complaints are unreasonable but the sad reality is that we can no longer provide the same level of support for XSI!

Today, Nic responded to a few posts (and some emails, too) related to XSI support. Our plan is to add custom AOVs and per-light AOV support to XSI. But, I’m afraid, these two features will mark the end of Redshift’s support for XSI.. I’m sorry for the bad news but the recent events forced our hand.

Moving forward, we’ll keep including XSI versions in the installer and will keep introducing new render options and shaders, because these require very little extra work. But features that require more plugin-specific work (this includes Trace Sets and Cryptomatte) are not going to be appearing on XSI, unfortunately. Furthermore, we’ll put notices in various web pages notifying people that XSI support is deprecated (which means “still there but unsupported”)."
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

bvmadjen

Post by bvmadjen » 20 Nov 2019, 23:28

tl:dr - redshift is dropping support because of money and a loud angry minority of XSI users wanting some issues fixed that were probably ignored.

not surprising.