Smoke - Cache particles? emFluids

Discussions about simulation, hair and cloth in SOFTIMAGE©
kampffmeyer

Re: Smoke - Cache particles? emFluids

Post by kampffmeyer » 16 May 2019, 16:18

Dear Oli,
I might have found the solution. By coincidence I found the TimeWarp Basic operator.
I can plug it into the icetree directly without any other core, grid or other nodes. I can browse the path of the sim cache, set mode to Use Custom Frame and put an animation on it. This way I could also do a time ramp, different speed etc!
Attached a screen shot. This is so cool!
I think I now have everything to finish my short animation. I'll post it when it's done. Waiting for the music at the moment.

Thanks to you all, guys, for the help!

Best
Wolfram
Attachments
Smoke_Cache05_TimeWarp.jpg

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 16 May 2019, 16:24

Hey Wolfram..there are also nodes to create a string and pipe that string into the path port of the loader.
That might also help to off set the animation by building the path by feet..and should be easy..

If you store VDBs and read them with Arnold or RS, you can easyily ofsett the clouds..

cheers,
oli

kampffmeyer

Post by kampffmeyer » 16 May 2019, 16:30

Hi Oli, sorry, I didn't understand the last part. How and why would I create a string? Sorry, I only touched the surface of ICE and I'm not able to do any scripting. Never worked with VDBs. I'm happy that the .bafl files work now :-)
And rendering I do with emFluid5 Renderer because I didn't manage to get the clouds rendered with Redshift unfortunately (I think this would - in theory - work somehow with VDB, but I never managed to understand all this).
But before I steal any more of your time I'll do the offset with shifting animation curves. It works totally fine for me and this little project. :-)
Thanks!
Wolfram

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 16 May 2019, 16:36

like that..?
Attachments
Path.JPG
String_to_Path.scn
(824 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 16 May 2019, 16:38

and yes..that would need VDBs..not that hrd actually ;) Anyway, what ever does the job for you!

cheers,
oli

kampffmeyer

Post by kampffmeyer » 29 May 2019, 13:11

Hello Guys,
now another question popped out.
For rendering the fluids I'm chosing emFluid5 Renderer.
But for making a shadow pass I can't get the shadow receiver rendered. And if I switch to another renderer (mental ray, redshift) the fluids are only sweet little blocks and quite... edgy.
Is there a emFluid renderer material I can give the shadow receiver so I can get the cloud's shadows? Or another work-around?

I managed to render it with mental ray by giving the cloud a mental ray volume shader. The cast shadow looks quite crappy this way, but at least I can use a pre-set Shadow Pass :-)
But I also see the cloud itself and can't hide it with a override (primary rays off) for some reason. Do you have an idea?
I tried to edit the Particle Renderer and set global density low and Shadow Adjust high. It makes the cloud less visible, but it's not the most elegant solution :-)

Thanks for your help!
Best
Wolfram