Global Variables for Simulation Controls

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
jmquintela

Global Variables for Simulation Controls

Post by jmquintela » 08 Oct 2013, 17:18

Hi
I have a Simulation_rigg Compound under a Modeling stack... it's just a collection of booleans made to control simulation and cache playback... so all the other ice trees are conected to this compound by calling it's variables like " Simulation_Rigg--->.pointcloud.Simulate_Lv_00--->if conditionals --->execute...
My problem is that many time the variables goes red and i have to rewrite them on each compound connected to them...soo it's not a robust solution to work with, I mean it's great when it's working but to do this refreshing variables each time when I open the scene it's too much work...
My question the is whats the most robust solution to write a Global Variable Rigg and enshure me that the variables will not break???.
thanks in advance :)

caledonian_tartan

Re: Global Variables for Simulation Controls

Post by caledonian_tartan » 08 Oct 2013, 17:28

I have a Simulation_rigg Compound under a Modeling stack
under what kind of object?
null/curve/pointcloud

i can't remember right but i think using a empty pointcloud instead of a null as a ice tree resident could avoid this.
(i definitely read something about this... where is it...?)
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

jmquintela

Post by jmquintela » 08 Oct 2013, 17:36

The simulation Rigg ice tree is under an Empty PointCloud in fact :)

jmquintela

Post by jmquintela » 08 Oct 2013, 17:53

I think a script that can look for this variables under all the ice trees that rewrite them , like a "refresh" button can be the solution, so the script will do the updating.... For this what kind of functions I could use?..

csaez

Post by csaez » 09 Oct 2013, 08:37

Have you tried querying the 'variables' from a centralized custom parameter set instead of ICE attributes?

caledonian_tartan

Post by caledonian_tartan » 09 Oct 2013, 09:21

what if you connect a "Log Values" Node before setting the booleans.
with that you make shure the values are beeing set.
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

jmquintela

Post by jmquintela » 09 Oct 2013, 16:08

thanks, I will try that ;)

jmquintela

Post by jmquintela » 10 Oct 2013, 03:36

Csaez, I haven't try yet that path, like the momentum Global Variables, I guess Should work but I'm trying for the love of ice to find a way with an ice tree, but I'm about to quit....
I try the Log Values and still the compounds gets disconnected some times, but if I rename the variables they work again, it's anoying.... I do a Simulation_rigg--->GET DATA inname-->.pointcloud.Simulate_Lv_00 --->if conditional. and the get data variable works for "pointcloud.Simulate_Lv_00" or ".pointcloud.Simulate_Lv_00" or "Simulate_Lv_00" or ".Simulate_Lv_00" , I don't know what's the correct way to do it ... I would like to create an Ice workflow so no expression setting and extra stuff need to be done, just a compound on a pointcloud, and this pointcloud connected on any ice tree that needs to, simple stuff...
thanks.
Attachments
simrigg.jpg

jmquintela

Post by jmquintela » 14 Oct 2013, 03:26

Sooo the question in escence is, what's a robust way to set global variables in ice on a compound basis?? thre is a way or not?

and the second question for a custom parameter set, what's the robust way to set variables inside xsi in general?.
How Can I implement something like momentum simulation variables, that it's created for every ice tree..what kind of scripting can handle that?

by the way , maybe a fast and good solution could be a script that can collect all simulation RIgg variables from the ice trees on the scene, and just rename it back, and the ice tree is connected again, this REFRESHING button could be much much usefull to keep this glabal variables working on ice under developing tree, where you connect and recconnect things constantly... but I guess that the script that look accross the ice trees variables should be phyton or Vb ??...