How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
adrencg

How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by adrencg » 20 Apr 2013, 18:37

I've crashed 2014 more times in 30 minutes than I have with 2013 in the last few weeks. After a crash, and restoration of the scene, it destroys the ICE tree upon recovery.

Who has been using it extensively? Are you ready to call it a wash and go back to 2013 yet, like I am?

EricTRocks

Re: How are you guys doing with 2014? It seems very buggy to me.

Post by EricTRocks » 20 Apr 2013, 23:28

I haven't noticed any issues. What are you setting up?
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 21 Apr 2013, 16:47

EricTRocks wrote:I haven't noticed any issues. What are you setting up?
A lot of my crashes are happening when modifying ICE trees --- syflex in particular. Other times I just get random crashes when clicking on anything.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 21 Apr 2013, 17:21

I've been using Syflex a lot and it's been stable for me. No crashing.
Eric Thivierge

origin

Post by origin » 22 Apr 2013, 18:05

Only used it for modeling (96 hours so far), counted 3 crashes, all after applying Apply Thickness op (1 hang caused file corrupt)

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 22 Apr 2013, 19:46

Another bug here: While looking through a stereo camera in anaglyph mode or any other modes other than center, enabling multi-sampling in high quality causes some unwanted geometric shapes to be shown and only solution to escape from the situation is to change the camera and return back to the stereo camera.

Chris Chia

Post by Chris Chia » 23 Apr 2013, 04:44

adrencg wrote:
EricTRocks wrote:I haven't noticed any issues. What are you setting up?
A lot of my crashes are happening when modifying ICE trees --- syflex in particular. Other times I just get random crashes when clicking on anything.
origin wrote:Only used it for modeling (96 hours so far), counted 3 crashes, all after applying Apply Thickness op (1 hang caused file corrupt)

Hi Origin and Adren,
Do you guys have repro steps?
Please send it fast as we need to investigate this (while we are still working on SP1)

Regards,
Chris

Chris Chia

Post by Chris Chia » 23 Apr 2013, 04:45

adrencg wrote:I've crashed 2014 more times in 30 minutes than I have with 2013 in the last few weeks. After a crash, and restoration of the scene, it destroys the ICE tree upon recovery.

Who has been using it extensively? Are you ready to call it a wash and go back to 2013 yet, like I am?
I am particularly interested in this... you mean you have crashes in 2014 (and not in 2013) with the same repro steps?

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 23 Apr 2013, 15:38

Chris Chia wrote:
adrencg wrote:I've crashed 2014 more times in 30 minutes than I have with 2013 in the last few weeks. After a crash, and restoration of the scene, it destroys the ICE tree upon recovery.

I am particularly interested in this... you mean you have crashes in 2014 (and not in 2013) with the same repro steps?
There's no way I could remember exactly what I was doing at this point...but I'll pay attention to see if it happens again.

There's a possibility the crashes may be connected to my license server stopping suddenly(theory). One thing I do know is that after I recovered from the crash, the ICE tree was destroyed -- i.e. disconnected and missing nodes. It looked kind of like that old bug when the shader tree would be haywire after loading a scene.

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 23 Apr 2013, 17:37

I just had a crash when trying to move a group of polygons that were marked as a cluster.

Upon scene recovery, all ICE trees were boffed. So, I can reload the last version which makes me lose some work -- but at least the ICE trees are intact.

That seems like something you can look into without a specific set of steps to duplicate. No matter what caused the crash, the ICE trees are always bad upon recovery. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but all of these ICe trees contained Syflex. This is pretty bad, because it seems like I'm guaranteed a crash from some random, unique thing if I work for any amount of time in 2014. It all feels very 3 years ago.

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 23 Apr 2013, 18:19

Something is really off with Syflex.

Now I can't get any Syflex cloth to work at all. I noticed that the Syflex Cloth PPG is different now when I click node. There's no sim settings on the top part, only the stiffness damping etc is visible. I might need to re-install 2014 to hopefully get it to work again.

Or I might just forget 2014 and go back to 2013 sp1. I can't work with this quirky software. It's a shame, because the only reason I even downloaded 2014 was to get the new features of Syflex for weight maps.

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 23 Apr 2013, 18:49

Unfortunately, syflex still doesn't do what I hoped it would, which is to allow the new weight values to be driven over time, reacting to changes in the scene and allowing for all the interaction that makes ICE a great framework.
It just takes the values at frame 1 and bakes it in throughout the shot as per the old syflex.
Also. When you paint the active map for the cloth, it ignores any previous deformation in the stack such as envelopes, so you still can't, for example have a half cloth simmed blended with half enveloped clothing item. (without doing the old mimic workaround)

It's a shame. I was really excited about syflex too. Still. At least it's still a bit better than it was.
Maybe by 2016 it will have all the features we hoped it would have initially.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 23 Apr 2013, 21:07

Have you taken a look at the "Apply Syflex Cloth Node" to see if you could use that instead to have envelope / syflex on the same mesh. I'm using the mimic node currently myself for having only parts enveloped. A simple workflow needs to be demonstrated somewhere either from the devs or the Syflex dev for this type of stuff.
Eric Thivierge

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 23 Apr 2013, 21:25

From my tests the factory Syflex Cloth node works well with the mimic node being much better performance than using the new "Simulate Syflex Cloth" and "Apply Syflex Cloth" nodes with a linear interpolate between the syflex and a get point position. The latter does work though to read the envelope positions.
Eric Thivierge

Chris Chia

Post by Chris Chia » 24 Apr 2013, 08:30

adrencg wrote:Something is really off with Syflex.

Now I can't get any Syflex cloth to work at all. I noticed that the Syflex Cloth PPG is different now when I click node. There's no sim settings on the top part, only the stiffness damping etc is visible. I might need to re-install 2014 to hopefully get it to work again.

Or I might just forget 2014 and go back to 2013 sp1. I can't work with this quirky software. It's a shame, because the only reason I even downloaded 2014 was to get the new features of Syflex for weight maps.

Make sure the preference folder is clean as it has some ICE node caching mechanism in it.
And when you said there's no sim settings on the top part, are you using Version 2.0 of the Syflex Cloth?
Make sure you see the Weightmap and Points port under the new Active Area|

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 24 Apr 2013, 19:03

Chris Chia wrote:
adrencg wrote:Something is really off with Syflex.

Make sure the preference folder is clean as it has some ICE node caching mechanism in it.
And when you said there's no sim settings on the top part, are you using Version 2.0 of the Syflex Cloth?
Make sure you see the Weightmap and Points port under the new Active Area|
I started 2014 again today and now the new Syflex node is back. I'm glad it works again, but I'm a little disturbed by this quirky behavior. I'm scared to work in 2014 now, because once I start saving some scenes it won't be possible to go back to 2013.