Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Redshift Renderer 2.5Author: Redshift Rendering Inc.
Version 2.5.32 updated Oct 3rd 2017 / Redshift continues to support the Softimage plugin, posting updates almost weekly. Version 2 added many new features including volumetrics (OpenVDB), nested dielectrics, a new BRDFS response, new SSS models, light baking and a new PBR based redshift material.

From the company's website: Redshift is a powerful GPU-accelerated renderer, built to meet the specific demands of contemporary high-end production rendering. Tailored to support creative individuals and studios of every size, Redshift offers a suite of powerful features and integrates with industry standard CG applications. Biased Rendering: Redshift has the features and uncompromising quality of a CPU renderer, but at GPU rendering speeds. Unlike other GPU renderers out there, Redshift is a biased renderer that allows the user to adjust the quality of individual techniques in order to get the best performance/quality balance for their production. Out-of-Core Architecture: Redshift's efficient memory management allows rendering of scenes containing hundreds of millions of polygons and TBs of texture data. Proxies and Instances: The user can export groups of objects and lights to Redshift Proxy files which can be easily referenced by other scenes. Proxies allow for powerful shader, matte and visibility flag overrides as often required in production. [..] Follow the product link to continue reading.

Pricing information: Price is $500 for a node-locked or $600 for a floating license (5 lic. minimum for floating). Both options include 1 year of maintenance. For other options, see the purchase page.

New plugins, tools etc.
nburtnyk

Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by nburtnyk » 13 Mar 2013, 19:43

Hello si-community!

Today we're very pleased to officially announce the release of Redshift v0.1 Alpha.

Redshift is, to our knowledge, the world's first fully GPU accelerated biased production-quality renderer.

Redshift supports multiple biased global illumination techniques: Brute-Force GI, Irradiance Cache (aka Final Gather), Irradiance Point Cloud (aka Light Cache) and Photon Mapping (GI and Caustics) - all fully GPU accelerated and performing many times faster than similar CPU-based solutions. As a biased renderer, Redshift provides you with the flexibility to tune your settings where it counts to achieve noise-free results faster when compared to unbiased renderers. People familiar with Mental Ray or VRay will feel right at home with Redshift.

A problem that plagues many GPU renderers on the market is that they are limited by the available VRAM on the graphics card (and most systems have significantly less VRAM than main memory). Redshift addresses this by using an out-of-core architecture for geometry and textures allowing you to render scenes with tens of millions of polygons and gigabytes of textures with off-the-shelf, inexpensive hardware.

Redshift currently integrates directly with Softimage 2011 through 2013 and Maya 2011 through 2013 on Windows XP or higher. 3ds Max support is in development. To run Redshift, you'll need an NVidia graphics card supporting compute 1.2 or higher with 1GB VRAM or more.

You can check out our website http://www.redshift3d.com for more information.

We're starting small and looking for interested alpha testers. If you'd like to take Redshift for a spin, visit http://www.redshift3d.com/get-redshift for information on submitting a request for alpha access.
Our goals for alpha are to shake out bugs prior to releasing to a broader audience and to gather feedback from users to help focus our development efforts.

Feature Summary
  • GPU accelerated raytracing, global illumination and shading
    Point-based sub-surface scattering
    Camera and object motion blur (deformation blur coming soon)
    Instances and proxies
    Flexible node-based shader system
    Physically correct shaders, IES lights, physical sun & sky and physical camera
    High quality elliptical texture filtering
You can find a complete feature list on our website

Sample Renders

TwinSnakes007

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 13 Mar 2013, 20:09

:ymhug: I got an email about this (I dont remember signing up for notice), but hey..the more the better, Octane seems like its taking FOREVER to get a SI plugin out.

Anyway, I applied for alpha access to RedShift. Will post some images if they let me in.

-TS-

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 13 Mar 2013, 20:10

Finally!!! Somebody taking what I suspect is the right approach. Every other GPU renderer is "unbiased" it seems and therefore much slower than it needs to be. Really looking forward to how this turns out! ^:)^

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 13 Mar 2013, 23:09

I too was wondering why there wasn't any biased GPU renderers,
and if the GPU memory bottleneck has indeed been dodged, this looks especially promising
nice!

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 14 Mar 2013, 02:21

nice to see something more to come.
but i have to say when reading the features, its like reading the mr feature list. would be interesting to get some more infos about the tech behind. ;)

funky75

Post by funky75 » 14 Mar 2013, 08:56

Why not having mr feature list for half the render time or even less... :)

Nems.

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 14 Mar 2013, 11:21

Thea Render is both biased and unbiased. GPU acceleration is supposedly imminent...

There is nothing on the Redshift site that mentions integration with Softimage.

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 14 Mar 2013, 11:57

SamHowell wrote:Thea Render is both biased and unbiased. GPU acceleration is supposedly imminent...

There is nothing on the Redshift site that mentions integration with Softimage.
Support > FAQs
Redshift integrates directly with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Autodesk Softimage (2011 and higher) and Autodesk Maya (2011 and higher).
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 14 Mar 2013, 12:09

Redshift integrates directly with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Autodesk Softimage (2011 and higher) and Autodesk Maya (2011 and higher).
Lazy me. :^o

Thanks for the correction

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 14 Mar 2013, 15:01

funky75 wrote:Why not having mr feature list for half the render time or even less... :)

Nems.
Exactly. I'd love to have something very similar to MR (leaving behind some of the legacy stuff). There are a lot of features to implement though, so I imagine it will take years to get to that point but at least there's hope.

All of the unbiased render engines have the same issues so it's so nice to see a different approach.

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 14 Mar 2013, 15:58

funky75 wrote:Why not having mr feature list for half the render time or even less... :)

Nems.
i wrote this because you could get the impression its mr based. not only feature wise but also shader naming wise. ;)

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 15 Mar 2013, 14:23

Now this is how it should be...

Huge congrats to this team!!!

Cacoman

Post by Cacoman » 16 Mar 2013, 18:28

I've been testing this baby and I trully believe this is a real option for MR.

And having it alpha tested by us, it's changing the whole game. Arnold still is so closed to regular mortals trying to break through the freelance world or small studios trying to reach big studios performance. That I can see RedShift as my new render engine.

This is the kind of things that also gives Softimage added value. And thanks to the RedShift team to turn to Softimage again to develop you wonderful render. Now that everyother first look at Max and Maya...

Developers like Exocortex, Eric Mootz, etc., are the guys that are bringing back to life Softimage.
To create something that does not exist, to exist.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 17 Mar 2013, 17:27

Put in my alpha application today. This looks really awesome.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 19 Mar 2013, 15:37

this took 21 minutes on my gtx 570.
Pretty impressive, also it is really a dream to work with this, you have mental ray material style and vray similar GI (actually Redshift one is better in my opinion), they did an insane job regarding the integration in Softimage, is seamless. Speed is incredible and support is amazing.
I suggest everyone interested into rendering to drop a line and enter into alpha so we can help them improve!

been years i'm not so happy with a render engine, totally integrated in Soft.

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 19 Mar 2013, 16:10

+1

Exactly what he said. Most promising renderer I've ever tested.