XSI Base down?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
dwigfor

XSI Base down?

Post by dwigfor » 01 Oct 2012, 12:28

I can't get it to load... Anyone else experiencing issues?

Finally time to put it to rest?

cheeseburger

Re: XSI Base down?

Post by cheeseburger » 01 Oct 2012, 15:07

Hi, yeah me too. It's such a shame. I don't know who's running it now, but they should make some sort of official announcement about it.
I heard it was running on old technology or code but this ridiculous. Why not pipe all other info, links and other stuff over here ? (half joking)
I must say I prefer this place for it's ui etc

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 Oct 2012, 10:04

cheeseburger wrote:Why not pipe all other info, links and other stuff over here ? (half joking)
If it were as simple as some people make it sound... :D

About 24 hours after I personally first encountered the problem, I'm unhappy to report the xsibase.com is still down (presumed MIA). Several DNS check websites claim there is a problem with resolving the DNS (or alternatively claim the domain name doesn't exist at all)
The plot thickens... :(
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 02 Oct 2012, 10:53

I don't think there was anything on XSIBase that was so essential or even relevant to the current tech and features in Softimage these days. The links were out of date, same with tutorials, plugins, etc. The only things that were moderately decent were the section for people looking for work or job postings along with the interviews.

I find the Softimage list, http://www.rray.de/xsi/, and si-community really the best resources these days.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 02 Oct 2012, 16:25

Sadly it looks like it's permanent this time. I've been asking for access to the database but think it's too late. Its time had come I guess, and I'm glad that si-community seems to be an active, thriving replacement.

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 02 Oct 2012, 17:04

I've just searched on Google for posts on a problem I'm having with referenced models. Dozens of hits appear, all linking to XSI base. All of this information is definitely essential and relevant. If the site is dead then fair enough but the database is crucial. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that it still exists in some form somewhere. I find it hard to believe that nobody has XSI base backed up, even in a stripped down form.

I need a cigarette and I don't even smoke :-s :ympray: :-ss

rray

Post by rray » 02 Oct 2012, 17:58

Kind of a sad end. Matt, kudos for trying to make backup of the db, there were quite a few gems in there.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Kerro Perro

Post by Kerro Perro » 02 Oct 2012, 18:41

Yeah i have to agree that the knowledge lost is indeed valuable - i think that it's of little use to you Eric because you're a very experienced user but i've had it come up in google as the only answer to a very specific question many times...

I think the "fall-out" from this will be a lot more nooby questions being asked over here - not a huge problem but a shame that they could've been answered with a simple google search..

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 03 Oct 2012, 10:46

Agree with Ray there were some gems in there, a lot of workarounds, and some esoteric solutions, and mainly everything not ice related. After all its not just a plugin.

Agreed to a sad way to end, cant help thinking how the digital and analog world are similar. You get the wrong virus, even if people try to help, the patient just cant be saved.

Time to believe in either Phoenix's or Zombies?

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 03 Oct 2012, 14:09

I think XSIBase has fallen victim to the fact that Google has way too much power/influence on the web!

I had this happen with an old website I'd developed years ago. All of a sudden Google scanned it, found some old code it didn't like, and flagged it as a security risk! Because most browsers refer to this Google flag when you visit a website, they all started blocking it!

It wasn't a security risk, and it didn't have any malware on it, but because of Google, I had to remove the whole site, tweak the code, re-upload it, link a Google Webmaster account to it and finally request a re-evaluation!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 03 Oct 2012, 14:34

luceric wrote:unfortunately they are not unjustly getting flagged by google; the forum pops up a hidden window that links to a russian web site. luckily that other russian malware site seems to have has been taken down. But the forum still has been hacked and not fixed.
(Quoted from here)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 03 Oct 2012, 14:49

In that case, it's probably a good thing ;)

Still think Google has too much influence and power on the web though!

Sil3

Post by Sil3 » 03 Oct 2012, 19:05

This is one of the reasons why I save every webpage if it has info that I need/use.

I have dozens of XSI webpages in .mht format in case I need to revisit something and because their search was simply awfull, I got the habit of saving them for later read if the Topic interested me even if I wasn't searching for that specific subject :)

Xsibase had tons of info and not everything in Softimage needs ICE ;)

Falam

Post by Falam » 03 Oct 2012, 19:15

Why wasn't there a backup of the database for XSI Base ? It could have been put online as a reference. Even if the site comes back, it's been mangled a few times, what would come of the site this time around, really is questionable.

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 03 Oct 2012, 19:28

Shed a tear as I removed xsibase from my favorites bar this mourning, er morning....... :((

Kerro Perro

Post by Kerro Perro » 03 Oct 2012, 20:31

Sil3 wrote:This is one of the reasons why I save every webpage if it has info that I need/use.

I have dozens of XSI webpages in .mht format in case I need to revisit something and because their search was simply awfull, I got the habit of saving them for later read if the Topic interested me even if I wasn't searching for that specific subject :)

Xsibase had tons of info and not everything in Softimage needs ICE ;)
Damn that's a good habit - i'll probably start doing that too! How many you got? Enough to make it a useful zip?