3delight tests

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Blob StrokesAuthor: Anto Matkovic
Here's a small ICE compound used to generate these 'blob-strokes'. I had something like this before, but I really wasn't so excited by the speed of generation. Now with 3delight, it's definitely feasible, updates are performed immediately. The compound creates particles on curve list, evenly distributed, count is relative to particular sub-curve length (still, you'll need to take care of curve re-parametrization). It's also able to perform 'write on' on one-after-another subcurve (by sub-curve, or normalized by sub-curve length). In short, you can 'draw' 3d strokes with it, by animating the slider value. There are a few additional parameters. [..] contd. under si-community link

local backup: Emit Blobs From CurveList.xsicompound
3DelightAuthor: dna research
v4.0.41 updated Feb 21st 2015. 3Delight is a fast, high quality, RenderMan®-compliant renderer designed to produce photo-realistic images in demanding production environments. The renderer was introduced to the public in the year 2000 after being used for more than a year as the sole renderer in a sister production company. It is now widely used and earning a reputation as a benchmark in rendering technology. [..] (cont'd on product page)

DNA research recently released the 4.0.41 upgrade along with making the free license now support up to 8-core CPUs. Highlights from the changelog: Volumetric Smoke and Shards Any shader as light source projection Exposure, Gamma Controls Mesh Light support ESC to stop render. Last year's big 4.0 update introduced features such as: support for deep EXR files Native MARI textures support Improved sampling of environment maps Added the physically plausible 3Delight Material "Continuous rendering" is now enabled by default Up to x2 acceleration in hair/fur rendering Memory usage is down 30% when using the path tracer Skin shader for 3Delight for Softimage Motion Map property is now supported

A list of movie project rendered with the 3Delight renderer. As mentioned the product is free of charge for the first 8-core license. Additional quad-core licenses are available for 400$ each and unlimited multi-core licenses for 900$ each. Yearly support and updates 190$/290$ resp.

Comments on work in progress
Mathaeus

3delight tests

Post by Mathaeus » 19 Feb 2011, 15:24

Hi,

These few pictures were done mainly to help my own knowledge. I'd believe it's just a start, and I won't be only poster here :)

The thread is *not* for comparison with another renderers, it's just for sharing our experiences with 3delight.

For now, it's mainly about 'native' subsurface scattering in 3dl. 3delight has a built in 'physically plausible' Subsurface light transport.'Physically plausible' here exactly means that you can use built-in presets (apple, chicken, cream, marble, skin, milk..) and get desired look. Final look reminds to some well known MR shaders, such as Daniel Rind's Diffusion or Mark Davies Subscatter.
There a few advantages too. 3delight's subsurface is able to utilize the IBL lighting too, it's able to avoid unwanted effect of 'cavities' (for example, eye holes on typical 3d character), and it's faster.

'Skim Milk' preset... render time is from 2 to 6 minutes.
bigger picture...

Custom 'deep blue ice setting, not exactly sure is it a correct ice..render time is from 5 to 15 minutes.
bigger picture...

'Marble' preset on curtains
bigger picture...

Subsurface adds a bit more of indirect lighting. Anyway, most of indirect lighting is bounced from floor. There is only one direct light for sun.
As it is noticeable, there is just one 'bounce'. It would be interesting to make some 'multiple bouncing' procedure. Render time: from 4 to 15 minutes.
Fast setup is as much 'simple' lighting (shadow maps instead of ray trace area, about 8 for point based color bleeding shading rate). Quality setup would be default 2 for shading rate, area shadows. Here's fast setup.

To allow presets from 3dl subsurface attribute, I've used a bit of custom shader, slightly modified sl sample from 3delight's doc's, plus screen composite for diffuse, specular and environment reflection.
As it is for now, 3dl subsurface presets are accessible only on standard XSI shaders, but it seems they are a bit limited (I think it's only 'forward' shading normal, instead of 'all directions'). Interfaces for mi_sss_skin stuff seems to be just a painting over fixed preset, as those PPGs doesn't provide interface for scattering values, IOR, so on.

kosyan

Re: 3delight tests

Post by kosyan » 19 Feb 2011, 16:57

How about ICE Strands or staff hair with IBL and color bleeding?

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 19 Feb 2011, 20:59

those are really nice tests!
can you share a bit how you did the ice rendering? it looks great to me, nice looking and shading, i would be interested in knowing a bit more :D
i'm tryin to give a look at 3Delight too but i find it really awkward and lack of "how to", especially on shading, lights/shadows and illumination in general..

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 20 Feb 2011, 01:21

Kosyan,

that's how IBL and point-based AO looks like, at least my first attempt. IBL and point-based AO, that works with default Hair Shader - even I had to exaggerate hair color a bit.
Render time for 768*1024 is about 4-10 minutes, at point cloud shading rates 16-2. Anyway, I think that good old light rig with DSM (deep shadow map) is still a working horse...
At some long-range DSM bias, about 0.1 or more, I was been able to got a quite nice 'translucency' effect.

About Color bleeding, I got it using standard XSI shaders. For example, plug the Hair Renderer into the color input of Constant Shader. It seems there isn't connection from Hair Shader to indirect diffuse shading in 3dl, as it is for now. Tips for color bleding:
- set ambient to black in shader PPG too, regardless of global ambience
- for hiding the 'bounce cards' for camera ray, render with 'reuse point cloud', just hide them then..
- generally for hair, do not use variable thickens/strand size. 3delight seems to became allergic about that...

Maximus, if you want to play with 'native' 3dl subsurface, for now, all what I can offer is a custom, very basic Renderman shader (no textured scattering, no color bleeding, so on..). You'll have to compile it. There are nicer ways, but that's still WIP for me. So how to do that:
1: copy this sl file to to your XSI project folder, let's say in 3delight folder.
2: navigate to folder where shaderdl.exe is (something like users\...... \\Addons\3DelightForSoftimage\Application\bin\nt-x86-64 - or nt-x86 for 32bit systems)
3: drag and drop sl file to shaderdl.exe - new file with same name, but with 'sdl' extension should appear
4: in Softimage, apply 3dl properties, like in image
5: load sdl file as Renderman surface shader (still, you'll be able to use displacement from Render tree)
6: draw render region and play with parameters. If you notice artifacts, lower the shading rate. For 'native' subsurface, keep colors at white or gray.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 20 Feb 2011, 02:14

Thanks a lot for the shader!!
I'm tryin to get started with 3delight but at the moment it doesnt anything else than crashing or resetting the shaders, no idea whats wrong with it..maybe its a heavy beta..
Its really frustrating.

anyway thanks again for help, i'll try tomorrow again..got like 3 crashes in a row!

shadow_ex_

Post by shadow_ex_ » 20 Feb 2011, 02:21

great stuff here,i really like the materials!!!
well done

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 20 Feb 2011, 03:43

Maximus wrote: I'm tryin to get started with 3delight but at the moment it doesnt anything else than crashing or resetting the shaders, no idea whats wrong with it..maybe its a heavy beta..
A common issue is a 'minus' character somewhere in shader name, texture name, render pass name (because it's used by env shader). For example, 'my-blinn-two' is a no-no. 'my_blinn_two' is OK. I don't even need to say that 'minus' was a my bad habit for a years ...

And, this one is with a 'calm' environment map, and for AO, "hitsides" set to "both" (custom shader, again....) - but that's is how point-based AO should look like... still, very nice render time

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 21 Feb 2011, 00:41

So, that's a bit lighter point-based AO, together with IBL. IBL has no shadows. Beside usual methods, I got the lighter AO by supplying thinner strands into point cloud generation, then rendering at desired thickness/size with 'reuse' option. Render time is about 10 min for 768x1024 - a bit unbelievable for AO on hair.

I'm planning the next update for next weekend. Thank you all for comments!

origin

Post by origin » 21 Feb 2011, 10:23

My hair tests with polish bison
Attachments
bison
bison
zubr2.jpg (159.28 KiB) Viewed 17718 times
Bison bonasus
Bison bonasus
zubr.jpg (186.81 KiB) Viewed 17718 times

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 Feb 2011, 10:33

Impressive. B-)
Did you use any "external" Renderman shaders or plain "out of the box" 3Delight translated shaders?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

origin

Post by origin » 21 Feb 2011, 11:49

Just standard xsi hair shader. I don't know anything about renderman shader programming.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 21 Feb 2011, 21:28

origin wrote:My hair tests with polish bison
Great! Well I really don't feel 'alone' :) in this thread, anymore...

Btw, all my Renderman knowledge is based on 'Smart Copy-Paste technology (TM)' :). Definitively not enough for great stuff, but for adding a small changes here and there, more than enough. I'd believe that for 'thin' stuff, strands, leaves and so on, point based AO should consider 'both' faces.

luceric

Post by luceric » 22 Feb 2011, 01:03

what's the render time on that Bison, and where is the asset from?

origin

Post by origin » 22 Feb 2011, 09:26

It's my model for a client (vodka ad), rendertime around 15 minutes for 3k AFAIR (2 cores).

CiaranM

Post by CiaranM » 22 Feb 2011, 10:10

Nice bison!

milanvasek

Post by milanvasek » 22 Feb 2011, 13:45

bison is cool. and those SSS tests as well.

i did this a long time ago with version 2 i guess. a lot of displacement (simple grid and subdivided cubes) and hair and dof...

and some characters i did with 3delight:

http://www.milanvasek.com/newimgs/3d/ellieweb.jpg
http://www.milanvasek.com/wp-content/up ... rd_web.jpg

hopefully i'll put here more recent stuff soon
Milan Vasek
ceramic artist & softimage fan
http://www.milanvasek.com