I had some time to look at it before work found me again
Here are some thoughts/notes:
Part 1 - Sunlight system:
- A tonemapper is now added to the renderpass in SI2011, and that is heavily changing the values for the lighting. Be sure to turn check your gamma correction in the preferences or tonemapper.
- The system is different from XSI 701, and now properly interlinked with sky.
- No value slider for the brightness for the sun. This is controlled by the position of the sunlight. Higher is brighter, lower less bright.
- Also the brightnes of the sky color changes when moving the sun. Like the real thing
- FG has to be turned on for the Sun/Sky system to work properly.
- Shadow is turned on by default in Sun/Sky system
Part 2 - Volume Spotlight:
- You don't have to use the Area Light option for Soft shadows in SI2011. You can also use the Raytraces Soft Shadows option now with some low values forSoftness ands samples.
- Or still use the Area Light option and change it's values so it looks good.
- The volume/tonemapper combo is more or less broken, or never meant to work together. It's like mixing old and new.
You can test it though on a new scene without any Sun/Sky system or mia_tonemapper to the pass.
- Volume property. the values needed are way smaller now than the ones needed in the PPG or video. Start off with something like .04 for the Reflectance to get something similar.
- But it's better to use something like the parti_vol shader on the pass>volume to get similar results. Try creating a separate pass for this, so you can tweak it later in a comp.
I'll have a look later on, but I have to get to work now
hope it helps,