Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.1.3Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.1.3 released August 2023 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. This update is a complete rewrite for the latest Cycles version from 2023 and has support for the following Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following buil-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE poitcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passe Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. Note: This distribution does not contains libraries for gpu rendering. You can download it from here. Unpack the archive and place lib folder to the /Sycles_2_1_2/Application/Plugins/ folder near the file config.ini All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
Shekn

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Shekn » 26 Jul 2017, 19:01

Small update - version 1.3.1. Download here: https://ssoftadd.github.io/syclesPage.html
Or simply replace the file with the same name by this dll: https://ssoftadd.github.io/download/cyclesRenderer.dll

This update fix only error of the wrong caching of a pointiness attribute.

nospitters

Post by nospitters » 25 Aug 2017, 19:10

hi shekn,

really great integration of cycles...thank you.
tried myself before to integrate cycles in si but without success...
just dowloaded it an tried first installing in xsi 2013sp1 but not worked, then in 2015sp1 and it worked.
now testing ice strand rendering and everything works great. makes a lot of fun.
what about xsi-hair? is that possible to implement too?

concerning gpu rendering support, can you explain a little more why exactly this wont work in xsi?
would be really great to have this option...there are not sooo many great gpu path tracer for xsi out there...
The Soulcage Department
http://www.soulcage-department.de

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 25 Aug 2017, 19:49

huh! I totally missed this!

So Octane, and now also Cycles!

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 25 Aug 2017, 20:03

also...

HDRMaster plugin demo

HDR Master is a part of the Cycles addon - Cycles render integration into Softimage.
And Kudos for what indeed seems like an excellent integration!

:-bd

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 26 Aug 2017, 17:16

Thank you guys.

It seems I found a way to integrate Cycles GPU rendering. I will try to do it in the next update (whenever it will be). About XSI internal hairs, I think that it is possible to integrate it too.

Draise

Post by Draise » 26 Aug 2017, 18:55

:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

I have used Cycles in Blender and with my 6 gig card Gtx1060, compaired to my i7 I get a faster calculation by around x4 times. This is.. good news! I also have a new contract I can do in SI, so I will definately test this out.

nospitters

Post by nospitters » 26 Aug 2017, 21:14

gpu support would be fantastic....
looking forward for the update...
The Soulcage Department
http://www.soulcage-department.de

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 05 Oct 2017, 20:12

Next update 1.4. Download here: https://ssoftadd.github.io/download/Sycles_1.4.xsiaddon

What's New:
1. Compiled with the version of Cycles from Blender 2.79. In particular, some render parameters have been added (and some have been removed). In most cases this is technical parameters.
2. Added denoising feature and Shadow Catcher property to polygonmesh object.
3. Standard XSI-hairs render support.
4. GPU rendering. The device for rendering can be specified on the Performance - Additional Settings - Device of the render parameters.
5. Two new tutorials on the manual (23 and 24) about how to render standard XSI-hairs and how to use Ray Visibility.

For testing GPU-rendering I used Nvidia card. I don't know how it will work on Radeon. So, if somebody can test Radeon - it will be great. But there are no guarantee that everything will be fine.

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 05 Oct 2017, 20:34

Wow! Great upfate and thanks for sharing!! ^:)^

rray

Post by rray » 05 Oct 2017, 20:45

Great stuff! 5 mental ray years passing in 1 month :)
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Draise

Post by Draise » 05 Oct 2017, 21:02

This is like a whole new update to softimage this week. First amazing uv update and now a new renderengine free and potentially included with SI! The denoiser is a huge time saver.

funky75

Post by funky75 » 06 Oct 2017, 15:12

Hi guys,
Good job for the author!!
But I'm experiencing some rendering bugs...
Render is alternate black lines..

Any one in same case?

Edit : Tile size seems to be the prooblem...
Last edited by funky75 on 06 Oct 2017, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

rray

Post by rray » 06 Oct 2017, 15:41

Hi funky yes had the same issue, it worked with tile size 1 but that's probably slowing the render down. With denoiser I get rgb patterns.

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 06 Oct 2017, 16:27

It's bad. Please, post here the screenshot with render result and render parameters. It's better to screen all tabs of parameters settings.

rray

Post by rray » 06 Oct 2017, 17:53

Something to do with tiles but hard to tell. Can do test some different HW tonight.

without denoise:

with denoise:

options (all at default)

rray

Post by rray » 06 Oct 2017, 18:01

with bigger tile sizes (here 256X256) you see tiny versions of the image repeated: