Automatic Cubic Texture Projection Compound

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Automatic Cubic Texture ProjectionAuthor: si-community user moin
From the si-community post: [..] It sets up the same Cubic texture Projection in World space for all objects that share the shader. It saves you the time to connect and update your texture projections manually, and it makes complex shaders with lots of different texture projections easier to handle.

How it works: use it just like an image node in the render tree. It lets you set up the size of the Texture in scene units, Rotate the texture simultanely on all three axis and lets you apply a gamma correction to the texture(set this to 1 for no gamma correction)

I do architectural Visualisations and I use this or a similar shader mainly for abstract materials like concrete, asphalt, plaster etc. that i have in a predefined library and can put on any scene object without having to think too much about texture projections, wrapping and updating projections after changes to the objects.
[..] cont'd in link above

local backup: AutoCubeTex_101.xsirtcompound

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
moin

Automatic Cubic Texture Projection Compound

Post by moin » 01 Dec 2015, 14:20

Attached you find a compound that i find very helpfull.

It sets up the same Cubic texture Projection in World space for all objects that share the shader.
It saves you the time to connect and update your texture projections manually,
and it makes complex shaders with lots of different texture projections easier to handle.

How it works:
use it just like an image node in the render tree.
It lets you set up the size of the Texture in scene units, Rotate the texture simultanely on all three axis and lets you apply a gamma correction to the texture(set this to 1 for no gamma correction)

I do architectural Visualisations and I use this or a similar shader mainly for abstract materials like concrete, asphalt, plaster etc. that i have in a predefined library and can put on any scene object without having to think too much about texture projections, wrapping and updating projections after changes to the objects.
I also use it frequently in complex shaders with multiple texture maps so i can avoid beeing confused by having too many different texture projections.

downsides:
it is limited in working best with abstract materials on objects that mainly are aligned to the world space system
it does not show its textures in the textured or textured decal mode of the viewport.
you cant use the texture editor with this shader.
as it is a relative complex compund with several nodes, it taxes you in loading time for your scenes. on my computer that would be around a 1/4 second for each shader of this kind.
Attachments
AutoCubeTex_101.xsirtcompound
(38.74 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
AutoCubeA.jpg