VrayRT for Softimage

New plugins, tools etc.
Bullit

VrayRT for Softimage

Post by Bullit » 12 Feb 2014, 16:51

McNistor

Re: VrayRT for Softimage

Post by McNistor » 12 Feb 2014, 18:49

yeah... kinda late to the party. At least for some people if not most.
One extra option can't hurt though.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

angelous4x

Post by angelous4x » 12 Feb 2014, 23:07

I was very excited to have Vray come over to softimage, But I have been using vray for the last few months now. and i got to say. I am not very happy.

its very buggy and at times unpredictable. "normals" and other render elements some times brakes for an unknown reason. inconsistent render times for a simple shaders. and not to mention that it doesn't use custom ice data, no custom ice color data, scalars or vectors you would want to use in a render tree.

Vray does have some options that are very helpful, the multi-channel exr, vray camera shader. and frame buffer render window. but i think in order to compete with Arnold or Redshift it has alot to improve on. Redshift has been out from about a year and it is a more reliable rendering software with a final release coming soon. as for customer support any time i would send an email chaos group would take a few days to get back, and not be very helpful. and when they did get back i would have already found a hack or work around. while the Redshift team sometime got to back to me with in the same day if not mins after sending an email.

that would be a nice poll to have

what is your prefered rendering software.
Arnold
mental ray
Redshift
Vray
Last edited by angelous4x on 13 Feb 2014, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

gdebello

Post by gdebello » 13 Feb 2014, 00:39

We had a copy of VRay for Softimage for two of our computers. We recently just stopped using it because of the inconsistent render times, not the greatest support and very buggy as well. We actually just switched to Guerrilla Render this week but still using Mental Ray for most of the work.

Glen
I use Softimage for game development. Is there really anything else?
http://www.gdebello.blogspot.com

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 13 Feb 2014, 03:47

Wow ! Why's Soft getting all the attention now all of a sudden ??

ace63

Post by ace63 » 13 Feb 2014, 15:04

I cannot agree about the "bad support" parts - whenever I had problems the chaos group guys have been super helpful and fast.

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 13 Feb 2014, 18:28

ace63 wrote:I cannot agree about the "bad support" parts - whenever I had problems the chaos group guys have been super helpful and fast.
I've found the same :) but I must also agree that I'm still finding really obvious stuff that somehow slipped past the beta testers :(

luceric

Post by luceric » 13 Feb 2014, 22:15

wow, this thread is not going the way I would have expected. (Vray sucks now?)

Side topic: I had never heard of Guerilla Render before. are you using that with Softimage?

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 13 Feb 2014, 22:40

luceric wrote:wow, this thread is not going the way I would have expected. (Vray sucks now?)
Vray most certainly does not suck! I am very happy with the speed and quality of it! I was just pointing out that there are some annoying bugs that really should have been picked up during the beta testing. To be fair though, it does seem that limitations in the SDK and a lack of support from Autodesk hasn't helped the developers.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 14 Feb 2014, 18:04

luceric wrote:wow, this thread is not going the way I would have expected. (Vray sucks now?)
People were talking about Vray's implementation into Softimage, the plugin that is, not the actual engine.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

jamination

Post by jamination » 14 Feb 2014, 20:22

I have trouble using it day to day as I always find some issue with ice that keeps me from doing so.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions