World Units conversion using ICE

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

World Units conversionAuthor: Daniel Brassard
The node is used to convert unit lengths into several world length units: SI units, kilometres, metres, decimetres, centimetres, millimetres, miles, yards, feet, or inches. The node can be expanded as required using the properties of the unit length input combo list of the node to suit your needs. The node is based on two values for the conversion: one (1) SI unit equal to 10 centimetres, and one (1) inch equal to 2.54 centimetres.

The node uses an input value and a combo box to convert the value in two ways: Convert the input value from SI units to the user selected unit (meter, inch, etc) in the combo box, and/or Convert the input value from the user selected unit of conversion (input combo box) to a new value in SI units.

Visit the si-community thread where Daniel show different use cases of these nodes.

local backup: Unit_Scaler.xsicompound / Units_Converter.xsicompound

Daniel Brassard

World Units conversion using ICE

Post by Daniel Brassard » 05 Sep 2013, 04:53

Hello Community,

A while back I made a unit conversion node that I used to scale a basic cube on the ICE Topology Cube thread.

http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... =41&t=1467

I had the chance to revisit this subject lately and modified the node to do several conversions. Combined with other nodes; I have found this little node very useful. Maybe you will too.

Attached is the Unit Converter node. This node can replace or supplement my original node provided with my ICE Topo pack.

http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... =19&t=2269

Description

The node is used to convert unit lengths into several world length units: SI units, kilometres, metres, decimetres, centimetres, millimetres, miles, yards, feet, or inches. The node can be expanded as required using the properties of the unit length input combo list of the node to suit your needs.

The node is based on two values for the conversion:

• one (1) SI unit equal to 10 centimetres, and
• one (1) inch equal to 2.54 centimetres.

The node uses an input value and a combo box to convert the value in two ways:
• Convert the input value from SI units to the user selected unit (meter, inch, etc) in the combo box, and/or
• Convert the input value from the user selected unit of conversion (input combo box) to a new value in SI units.
Attachments
Unit_Scaler.xsicompound
(10.75 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Units_Converter.xsicompound
(5.25 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Last edited by Daniel Brassard on 05 Sep 2013, 05:22, edited 2 times in total.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Daniel Brassard

Re: Wolrd Units conversion using ICE

Post by Daniel Brassard » 05 Sep 2013, 04:57

The following is a few images showing the use of the unit converter compound node and it's internal ICE tree. I show also the unit_length property page with the combo box populated.
Attachments
Unit_Converter01.jpg
Unit_Converter02.jpg
Unit_Converter03.jpg
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 05 Sep 2013, 04:59

Usage

Using this node, we can do quite a few things. Here are some basic application of the node.

Convert an input value from a user selected dimension to SI Units
• Enter a value to convert
• Select a unit of conversion (meter, inches, etc.) in the combo box
• Connect the “Unit_to_SI” output port value to a set data node (temp) and display the value. You will see the new value (in SI Units) displayed in the viewport. You can use this value to scale an object from real world units to SI units or to display real world measurement in SI units. As an example 5 metres in SI Units would be 50 SI Units (because it takes 10 SI units per metre).

Convert an input value from SI Units to a user selected dimension
• Enter a value to convert
• Select a unit of conversion (metre, inches, etc) in the combo box
• Connect the “SI_to_Unit” output port value to a set data node (temp) and display the value. You will see the new value (in World Units) displayed in the viewport. You can use this value to scale an object from SI Units to real world units. As an example: 9 SI units in centimetres would be 90 centimetres (because one SI unit equal to 10 centimetres).
Last edited by Daniel Brassard on 05 Sep 2013, 14:52, edited 6 times in total.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 05 Sep 2013, 05:00

Converting an input from one world unit to another

For this we will chain two conversion nodes:
• Connect the output port “Unit_to_SI” of the first node to the input value port of the second node.
• Select a unit of conversion in the combo box of the first node (from say metres)
• Select a unit of conversion in the combo box of the second node (to say inches)
• Enter a value to convert in the first node
• Connect the “SI_to_Unit” output port value to a set data node (temp) and display the value. You will see the new value (in World Units) displayed in the viewport. You can use this value to convert or scale an object from one world unit to another easily.
Attachments
Unit_Converter04.jpg
Last edited by Daniel Brassard on 05 Sep 2013, 15:07, edited 2 times in total.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 05 Sep 2013, 05:05

Creating a reference object

Sometime we need an object as reference to create assets that match real world measurement. Unfortunately, Softimage does not create assets in real world measurements but in SI units. Knowing our world will match the outside is important, especially for simulation and light effects when rendering. We can convert manually to a world units if we know that one SI unit is equal to 10 centimetres but there must be an easier way.

Using the unit conversion node, we can create a compound that would scale a unit object like a cube for reference that we can use to scale other objects in the scene. Let’s do that.

• Create a unit cube in the viewport
• Create an ICETree on the cube and attache the unit scaler compound

You can now scale the cube at will in various world units. I made the unit scaler compound to scale in various units in x, y or z. Try it ... using a unit cube to start, make a window pane of 90 centimetre wide by 1 meter tall, 9mm thick. It's that easy!

I have provided the Unit scaler compound as well for you to try.
Attachments
Unit_Scaler01.jpg
Unit_Scaler02.jpg
Last edited by Daniel Brassard on 05 Sep 2013, 14:15, edited 2 times in total.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 05 Sep 2013, 05:08

Scaling an object coming from another DCC application

Often we are provided with an asset coming from another DCC application (Maya, 3DMax, Modo, C4D, etc.) and the scale of the asset does not match the SI unit of Softimage (the object is too large or too small). This is because the other DCC application uses a different unit scale than Softimage. We could scale the asset directly but are you sure it match (where is my calculator…dammit!) We could also use the unit conversion node or the unit scaler node to scale the asset for us.

[*]select your object
[*]create an ICE Tree
[*]Connect the unit scaler to the ICE Tree
[*]Adjust the units and scale to your taste.

I hope you will find this node useful. Happy Modeling!
Last edited by Daniel Brassard on 05 Sep 2013, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Falam

Post by Falam » 05 Sep 2013, 05:14

Thanks, I'm going to give it a try tomorrow, I'm not up to it mentally today :) I like the name you used whether unintentionally or intentionally, Wolrd Units Conversion :)