knit the strand

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Knit Strand ProAuthor: Anto Matkovic
This plugin by Kristinka Hair author Anto Matkovic is a newer version of the 2009 release »Knit the Stand«, which generates realistic procedural fabric by interweaving ICE strands following the UV lines of a given NURBS surface. For increased realism it supports customizable weaving patterns, position noise, tip flattening etc..

The new version adds some major features: better distribution, now strand size always fits between neighboring strands, whatever deformation is used lighter in render time: strand segments are generated sparingly, also there are built-in strand resolution attributes default is spread in X-Z plane. NURBS surface is optional, strands will fit to NURBS only if NURBS is connected diagonal distribution, like common fabrics. Should be much faster than old one. Fitting on strand size rely on simple, 'parallel' computation, not on geometry query by distance.

Thumnail image above (large version) was created by Piotrek Marczak using the old version of this plugin. Follow the 5+ page thread on si-community (Note: Download of new version is on page 4 of that thread).

local backup: knit_strand_pro.rar

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
ActionArt

Re: knit the strand

Post by ActionArt » 10 Apr 2012, 17:43

I'm surprised nobody commented on this yet. Looks pretty interesting. Will have to give it a try.

Thanks Mathaeus!

bradworst

Post by bradworst » 10 Apr 2012, 19:59

Of course i am interested!!!

awesome!!

nbreslow

Post by nbreslow » 10 Apr 2012, 23:29

Hi,

First - amazing stuff, love the concept and execution. I have the Pro compound setup and tested and it works great. I was hoping you might have an updated workflow for converting the strands to a mesh?

I have gone over the older posts but have not been able to reproduce the steps, mainly because I can't seem to find the mt_ice_StrandExtrude compound anywhere (despite having Kristinka 3, the old HM Strand Nodes from the ice tutorial, searching everywhere). I also have extracted "Knit Strand Prepare MT_Extrusion" but that doesn't seem to work either. Any guidance would be deeply appreciated and thanks again!

-Nick B.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 11 Apr 2012, 22:48

Thank you guys,

there is an update on same link, new one has built-in attributes for MT/Melena strand extrusion. Of course you'll need appropriate version of Melena installed.
If so, procedure should be: select point cloud, run "create ICE strand extrusion" or like.
Theoretically, out of the box strand extrusion from v 2012 and more, should work too. Didn't tried this, anyway.

cheers

origin

Post by origin » 11 Apr 2012, 23:17

knit the strand in action /with hand tweaking afterwards/
Attachments
wishboneWood0005.jpg
foldingRope0005.jpg
foldingDark0003.jpg

nbreslow

Post by nbreslow » 11 Apr 2012, 23:57

Works like a charm - this is really awesome. Extrusion working, color working, nice stuff. Thanks for sharing it and I am off to put it to good use.

PS - Origin, sweet stuff - very cool use. Any tips for those of us just getting going with it?

Thanks,

-Nick

origin

Post by origin » 13 Apr 2012, 22:12

sorry that was done some time ago so I dont really remember details.
I think the most annoying thing was nurbs mesh manipulation cause of how lame nurbs in SI are (workaround create nurbs from polymesh and manipulate the source polymesh instead)
as for extruding strands I think I used Fabricios or Guillaume's ice compounds.

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 13 Apr 2012, 23:21

origin: ^:)^
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

nbreslow

Post by nbreslow » 16 Apr 2012, 18:53

origin wrote:sorry that was done some time ago so I dont really remember details.
I think the most annoying thing was nurbs mesh manipulation cause of how lame nurbs in SI are (workaround create nurbs from polymesh and manipulate the source polymesh instead)
as for extruding strands I think I used Fabricios or Guillaume's ice compounds.

I am going to give it a crack this week. Will see what I come up with. Thanks again!

-Nick

hidalgo

Post by hidalgo » 16 May 2012, 17:37

whats the procedure if there is one, to change the pattern to look for example like wool or another type of fabric similar?
thanks

Hidalgo

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 16 May 2012, 20:49

hidalgo wrote:whats the procedure if there is one, to change the pattern to look for example like wool or another type of fabric similar?
thanks

Hidalgo
hi,

there is no built-in procedure for wool. Which wool, btw. It's build on what's called a 'modulo trick'. This method, occasionally, allows the enough pleasant creation of simple patterns, result of this method occasionally reminds to something from real world. For something more complex, I think the best way is manual creation of entire pattern, leaving only variations to ICE, but this isn't a short procedure, anymore.

cheers

hidalgo

Post by hidalgo » 16 May 2012, 21:23

ouch got it, thats bad couse i have some animated cloth that where screaming for your compound :D

only thing is that cage deforming the nurbs (with your pattern) to the polymesh with syflex seems not working, i guess that your methode of creating the cloth from nurbs then exporting it to mesh and add that as a shape key might be the only way.

thanks for the info will try something out.

Hidalgo

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 17 May 2012, 00:59

hidalgo wrote:ouch got it, thats bad couse i have some animated cloth that where screaming for your compound :D

only thing is that cage deforming the nurbs (with your pattern) to the polymesh with syflex seems not working, i guess that your methode of creating the cloth from nurbs then exporting it to mesh and add that as a shape key might be the only way.

thanks for the info will try something out.

Hidalgo
latest setup is able to render the displacement/bump texture - that's what I would do when it comes to cloth.

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 24 Apr 2013, 17:29

Mathaeus wrote: Image
It appears that you got the strands to form diagonal patterns. How is this done? I can only seem to get them horizontal and vertical.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 24 Apr 2013, 17:59

Btw there is some new compounds available:

http://staplex.ru/?p=589

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 24 Apr 2013, 20:49

Chris_TC wrote:
Mathaeus wrote: Image
It appears that you got the strands to form diagonal patterns. How is this done? I can only seem to get them horizontal and vertical.
Hi,
latest one is variation of what's displayed in first picture. Another pics were created by another set of compounds, downloadable on page 3 of this thread, link is bellow this pic.
Generally all of them are variations of early ICE samples by Helge Mathee - strand array is defined in advance, saved as attribute (' strand ratio' or something), then this attribute is used for re-mapping in many ways, including both components of 2d vector, used as input for UV to location node.

Didn't tried stuff from link posted by Bullit - but it looks like much more advanced than mine, from 2009.