Trigger by name(s) or partial name(s)

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Bullit

Trigger by name(s) or partial name(s)

Post by Bullit » 17 Mar 2013, 19:37

Is it possible to do it? I am thinking of an effect triggered by volume geometry but that the volume only trigger over objects with a certain name(s) or prefix/suffix. Maybe possible with strings?

fabricio.chamon

Re: Trigger by name(s) or partial name(s)

Post by fabricio.chamon » 18 Mar 2013, 20:59

this is one way... but the "name" must reside on an icetree attribute for each object that will participate in your effect.
icetree screenshot
icetree screenshot

grahamef

Post by grahamef » 18 Mar 2013, 22:01

Wouldn't it be easier to use a group instead of a naming convention?

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 18 Mar 2013, 22:35

Thanks Fabricio. A bit strange that name isn't one of attributes, but maybe i am not seeing the whole issue.

@ grahamef
Maybe can be done, i didn't thought of groups, an example: Let's imagine a bookshelf full of books but we want only that crime books are acted by null1 and say science fiction books are acted later by null2 and all are mixed up in the shelf and should affected by same ICEtree but at discretion of each null animation. Is this possible with groups?

grahamef

Post by grahamef » 18 Mar 2013, 23:11

Bullit wrote: @ grahamef
Maybe can be done, i didn't thought of groups, an example: Let's imagine a bookshelf full of books but we want only that crime books are acted by null1 and say science fiction books are acted later by null2 and all are mixed up in the shelf and should affected by same ICEtree but at discretion of each null animation. Is this possible with groups?
Ah sorry, no. I must have read quickly and thought you were asking about the other way around. Unfortunately you can't set data on groups.

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 18 Mar 2013, 23:12

Maybe just tag the different books with an attribute...
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 19 Mar 2013, 01:24

Ah sorry, no. I must have read quickly and thought you were asking about the other way around. Unfortunately you can't set data on groups.
It's me who should have say sorry since i didn't explained the case :). The objective is to check if ICE is good to do motion graphics when there is a dominant plane : Bookshelf's, buildings walls, windows, guards, bridges, a sequence of trees, signs on a road, etc. but where there are many objects - hundreds- that should have same Icetree particles...
Maybe just tag the different books with an attribute
Thanks, will look into it.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 28 Mar 2013, 07:16

One further question - i am still trying to have not tag all objects - is it possible to get only the IDs of crime books particles? For example if i make a group to just select them easier and extract the ID info and then use them in the ice tree to just SRT those?

grahamef

Post by grahamef » 28 Mar 2013, 18:11

OK, so the "objects" that need to be treated differently are actually particle instances? In that case it should be relatively easy. Store the value that you use to drive the Index port of the Instance Shape node as a custom attribute called e.g. ShapeID. Now you can use that attribute to filter, or to drive a Select Case node, etc.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 28 Mar 2013, 19:54

Thanks. Yes both, those that i want to move now and those that i want to move later are instances from same ice tree- i am using this Emitting from a Group of Objects by Stephen Blair https://vimeo.com/27586271

Edit: link corrected.

I don't think it will work since the value came with those that i want to move and those they i don't want to move, they are both instances of same emission or i am making a mistake? I need to get some, not all, instances to just act on them. If i get a group of the objects that make those instances can i get their ID from point cloud?

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 30 Mar 2013, 01:01

I also have found this comment from origin:
yes, but it's not possible (?) to get data from .shape attribute (maybe with custom node?)
(when you try to make user-friendly compound, with only shape attribute exposed)
or when you put a group in instance shape node, you can't retrieve group id of object.
I hope I make sense with my pseudo english
http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... =45&t=2741

grahamef

Post by grahamef » 03 Apr 2013, 00:19

Store a custom integer attribute based on the shape that each particle is using. For example, if you are using a group for your instance masters, then store whatever is plugged into the Instance Shape node's Index port. Then you can use that integer to distinguish between differently-shaped particles.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 03 Apr 2013, 01:57

That seems a good idea an integer per shape. But i don't have instance masters defined, i think you mean a sole group with one of each objects isn't it? I have a bunch of objects and a modified emit particle per object on group based on Stephen Blair video that gives a particle to each object. In the position each object is. But i will look to check if it is possible with my setup. Thanks for the idea.

I think i got it:

Instance shape>build array from set>get element index>find in array> if> icetree
In If True i put the SRT setup. I have obviously selected the correct index value in Find in array.

Is this the right way? at least seems to be working.
Remain a problem what will be the way to get more than one index value? The brute force way will be a Find in array per index and an And node.

Disregard. It is not working. The get element index get's unique index value per instance.
Btw in Index port of Instance node it is Get Point ID.