Controlling Reflections Evenly

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
Falam

Controlling Reflections Evenly

Post by Falam » 07 Feb 2013, 03:20

When applying an environment map to a image for reflections, there is one issue that I have, that is controlling how it is applied. For example, one half of the object shows more of the 'sky' of the image, while the other half doesn't, can I get one half to reflect the same as the other half, I hope you understand what I mean ? :)

Edit: I forgot to include that I know there are texture options within the texture node rather the texture source node, but these options can't do what I want to described above and if they can, well then I'll tip my hat to you :)

MedAnimator_X

Re: Controlling Reflections Evenly

Post by MedAnimator_X » 07 Feb 2013, 22:43

I would just map the image you want to reflect onto a sphere and adjust the UVs so the part you want to reflect on both side of the object has it's UVs overlapped on the sphere. That should work, right?

NNois

Post by NNois » 07 Feb 2013, 23:45

hi,
easy !
for this you need:
- Or a imagemap/weight map to dict which part of you object is with ENV_A or ENV_B
- Or to follow your post an incidence map (in Z direction if you are facing Z) to dict which part of you object is with ENV_A or ENV_B
then plug this to the weight port of a mix2color
- in each color plug an environment shader
- plug your reflmap in that and, voila ;-)
- you can set your reflections as you like
/ or by pluging a copy of your imageclip in the ENV_B and editing it in the imageclip PPG (to mirror it)

image is better than a poor bad english speaker
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-02-07 at 23.43.13.png

Falam

Post by Falam » 09 Feb 2013, 06:28

NNois wrote:hi,
easy !
for this you need:
- Or a imagemap/weight map to dict which part of you object is with ENV_A or ENV_B
- Or to follow your post an incidence map (in Z direction if you are facing Z) to dict which part of you object is with ENV_A or ENV_B
then plug this to the weight port of a mix2color
- in each color plug an environment shader
- plug your reflmap in that and, voila ;-)
- you can set your reflections as you like
/ or by pluging a copy of your imageclip in the ENV_B and editing it in the imageclip PPG (to mirror it)

image is better than a poor bad english speaker
That is awesome, thank you :)