Blender gets new Dynamic Topology sculpting system

News concerning 3D DCC business

Mathaeus

Re: Blender gets new Dynamic Topology sculpting system

Post by Mathaeus » 04 Jan 2013, 11:41

when we already on this, latest official version has nice "un-subdivide" operator, as an option of "decimate" modifier. Similar to subdivision reversion plugin for Max, it's able to turn the subdivided mesh, back to lower level, together with pushing the vertices back to estimated position of lower level. From my tests, it's not 1:1 with complex models, full of poles, imported from SI or something else, it seems it creates triangles when it don't know what to do. But still does very reliable result.

Falam

Post by Falam » 04 Jan 2013, 13:08

As a Mudbox user, compared to Blender which is free, this is impressive. Although they need to work on the U.I if not now, soon. Autodesk should be lowering prices and subscription fees not raising them, do they think they stand alone, they must.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 05 Jan 2013, 16:09

Without a more solid viewport is useless, too distant by zbrush dynamesh usability.
Although they need to work on the U.I if not now, soon.
Blender GUI was re-designed recently, and I think is very good. IMHO, too many users has wrong expectations when open blender and would like to see a clone of their favourite commercial application (because blender is free, so must be a clone, this is the common idea about). Repeat, blender GUI is very good, can be better? Sure! But also Maya or Modo or 3dsm can improve their GUI.
Can you explain what is wrong in blender gui?

Falam

Post by Falam » 06 Jan 2013, 02:33

Nizar wrote:Without a more solid viewport is useless, too distant by zbrush dynamesh usability.
Although they need to work on the U.I if not now, soon.
Blender GUI was re-designed recently, and I think is very good. IMHO, too many users has wrong expectations when open blender and would like to see a clone of their favourite commercial application (because blender is free, so must be a clone, this is the common idea about). Repeat, blender GUI is very good, can be better? Sure! But also Maya or Modo or 3dsm can improve their GUI.
Can you explain what is wrong in blender gui?
Looking at recent screen shots, I'd say it has improved, it looks similar to Modo, previous version were not so promising. If Blender were to get VRay or Arnold integrated or added you know they could do damage to other commercial programs.

csaez

Post by csaez » 06 Jan 2013, 04:45

Falam wrote:If Blender were to get VRay or Arnold integrated or added you know they could do damage to other commercial programs.
http://www.vray.com/vray_for_blender/
http://rudycortes.com/2011/08/btoa-blender-to-arnold/

:)

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 06 Jan 2013, 09:15

Looking at recent screen shots, I'd say it has improved, it looks similar to Modo, previous version were not so promising. If Blender were to get VRay or Arnold integrated or added you know they could do damage to other commercial programs.
how do you judge by a screenshot? Download blender, look a tutorial (blender tutorial are everywhere) and after this can give a serious critics about blender. Blender workflow and GUI is very logic and organic, and GUI is very nice (IMHO better of Modo), also Cycles is a very fast, with nice output and simple to use render engine. To me blender gui remember more Cinema.

And as said by csaez, Vray integration is very good, Arnold is less then beta, but is on the way.

IMHO, the only issue for adopting blender, for a freelance, is the weak viewport performance (a very poor capabilities in handle heavy flux data), some little issue here and there (i.e. cannot edit two or more different item in the some time) and a not so well improved import/export capabilities.

RichardCulver

Post by RichardCulver » 07 Jan 2013, 15:08

Cycles is very cool. One of my favorite new features. But overall Blender has some serious drawbacks as a solution.

I make a living using it. But it is because I have used it everyday for several years now, I can see the limitations. From what I have seen of the development I can imagine that it will continue to improve and impress. And it will have the "impression" that it is moving in on the competition. But this will be largely a perception rather than a reality for some time to come. The robust tools are simply not there yet.

This is an area where Autodesk still rules.

j3st3r

Post by j3st3r » 07 Jan 2013, 15:51

As a ZBrush user, it's functionality is quite a ripoff of Dynamesh and Sculptris. It's quite nice that a free program has these capabilities but I'm really scared of free programs.

Kerro Perro

Post by Kerro Perro » 07 Jan 2013, 17:09

Lol scared? Why scared? You think it's a scam like "free games"?