Instance On Curve

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Generate Instance On Curve 1.3Author: Julien Carmagnac
Updated June 2013 (info) — Based on a part of the »Create Copies along Curve« Compound of Felix Geremus, I try with this tool to cover many possible situation as possible with copies on curves. It work with multiple curves, even merged, and generate as many point cloud as necessary. We can easily edit all of then with the Multi Edit PPG.

The 1.2 update adds these new features and functions: Exposed »accuracy« parameter Adjust scale with real space in X,Y Or Z Delete Last Instance on open Curve Delete Neighbors with distance Random scale on X,Y,Z independently Offset scale on X,Y,Z independently Create from preset Save preset Randomize Update instances

Demonstration videos available here (V1.0) and here (V1.1) and here (V1.2).

Note that the download in the first post of the si-community thread isn't the most current version. Look further down in the thread to find it.

local backup: InstanceOnCurve_v1.3.xsiaddon

julca

Instance On Curve

Post by julca » 28 Oct 2012, 17:46

Hey,

I create this compound based on a part of the "Create Copies along Curve" Compound of Felix Geremus.
I try with this tool to cover many situation as possible with copies on curves.

It work with multiple curves, even merged, and generate as many point cloud as necessary.
We can easily edit all of then with the Multi Edit PPG.

I package this on an xsiaddon for better integration.
Hope you like it.

You can watch a quick demonstration here :

Julca edit: Update (version 1.3) can be found here
Last edited by julca on 03 May 2013, 23:19, edited 2 times in total.

ActionArt

Re: Instance On Curve

Post by ActionArt » 29 Oct 2012, 14:34

Nice! Thanks for sharing! :-bd

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 29 Oct 2012, 15:30

Great work, thanks!
- H -

julca

Post by julca » 29 Oct 2012, 18:55

I'm glad you like it,
Thank you. :)

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 29 Oct 2012, 19:03

Goody

Downloaded, thankyou.

Mossman

Post by Mossman » 31 Oct 2012, 12:01

Very nice! looks way more flexible than my original compound!

julca

Post by julca » 03 Nov 2012, 14:20

Thanks for yours comments !
Mossman, your original compound has been very useful here :-bd .

Now I update "Instance On Curve" compound with some corrections and additions :
  • - add delete percentage
    - correct inverse/randomize direction when it is use with offsets
    - add next influence (for direction)
    - add rnd roll local (local roll random)
    - add roll add local (increment roll in local mode)
    - add offset twist
    - add offset roll
    - add offset roll local
    - add stick to surface options with align param
I would like to apologize for the size of the property, I try to minimize as mush as possible the number of the parameters :-.

You can watch examples of use here :
Attachments
InstanceOnCurve_v1.1.rar
InstanceOnCurve addon v1.1
(25.04 KiB) Downloaded 532 times

Rork

Post by Rork » 03 Nov 2012, 16:08

That pretty sweet! :ymhug:

An option in the menu that would merge all instances into one big mesh, would be a really cool addition.
For rendering, or just for plain scene interaction speed.

It's great to see people picking up on stuff from other people, adding things to it and sharing it back to the community again.

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

PrvtHudson

Post by PrvtHudson » 03 Nov 2012, 18:16

Thank you :)

angelous4x

Post by angelous4x » 04 Nov 2012, 02:05

Damn, this is freakin great. Good Job :-bd

nuverian

Post by nuverian » 04 Nov 2012, 03:53

Looks awesome and thanks a lot :-)
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net

julca

Post by julca » 05 Nov 2012, 14:36

Thanks for comments !
Rork wrote:An option in the menu that would merge all instances into one big mesh, would be a really cool addition.
Rork, I think that the possibility to merge all instances into one big mesh would be a global option/tool, not specific to a tool.
But yes, it's a good idea !

Falam

Post by Falam » 10 Nov 2012, 02:39

julca wrote:Thanks for comments !
Rork wrote:An option in the menu that would merge all instances into one big mesh, would be a really cool addition.
Rork, I think that the possibility to merge all instances into one big mesh would be a global option/tool, not specific to a tool.
But yes, it's a good idea !
This is a good idea, I was just asking myself this after freezing a mesh today. Why does the author always have a null parented to the object. I have a question, will update with images, shortly.

If I could freeze the mesh I could delete some polygons and it would be nice if I could prevent the overlaps.

julca

Post by julca » 11 Nov 2012, 12:29

Falam wrote:This is a good idea, I was just asking myself this after freezing a mesh today. Why does the author always have a null parented to the object.
In the case of Instance on Curve, it's a model that is created to store the construction elements (curve(s) path, object(s) to duplicate, group ("Samples") to store/manage objet(s) to duplicate).
For better visibility and understanding it's necessary, especially when several systems are created.

Or, if you talk about each model on object to duplicate, it's not necessary for single mesh but as you know you can instanciate a model which contains several objects.

Falam wrote:If I could freeze the mesh I could delete some polygons and it would be nice if I could prevent the overlaps.
There are some tools to convert a point cloud to a mesh object : viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1579

Falam

Post by Falam » 11 Nov 2012, 16:59

julca wrote:
Falam wrote:This is a good idea, I was just asking myself this after freezing a mesh today. Why does the author always have a null parented to the object.
In the case of Instance on Curve, it's a model that is created to store the construction elements (curve(s) path, object(s) to duplicate, group ("Samples") to store/manage objet(s) to duplicate).
For better visibility and understanding it's necessary, especially when several systems are created.

Or, if you talk about each model on object to duplicate, it's not necessary for single mesh but as you know you can instanciate a model which contains several objects.

What your saying is it's better if I create a model out of all my objects before using Instance on Curve if I'm going to use multiple objects but for single meshes it's not, I just want to be clear we are on the same page :)
Falam wrote:If I could freeze the mesh I could delete some polygons and it would be nice if I could prevent the overlaps.
There are some tools to convert a point cloud to a mesh object : viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1579

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 13 Nov 2012, 15:28

Hello!
First of all thanks a lot for this tool, it is working nicely to me and very helpful..
while i was tryin to create some animation I found out a little problem I am facing, and I was wandering what could cause this.
Basically I have instanced a MotionTool pointcloud on a curve, the problem is Mental Ray doesnt render the instanced pointcloud, while 3delight renders it just fine. Any idea how to fix this or what could cause this?

The setup is pretty straightforward, i've created a basic motion tool setup with "Create Instance Array" -> Linear
Then i've created a curve and selected both pointcloud and the curve and used "Instance on Curve" thats it

here are some screens

This is the setup with the pointcloud instanced
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/3186/72237313.jpg

Mental Ray render
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7973/mentalray.jpg

3delight render
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9882/3delight.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Max