TUTORIAL: Intro to ICE Kinematics

Here you can find ICE tutorials and learning material
dwigfor

Re: TUTORIAL: Intro to ICE Kinematics

Post by dwigfor » 18 Aug 2011, 15:22

TwinSnakes007 wrote:
iamVFX wrote:wow, I didn't even know that rotation is matrix and can provide local transforms. that's cool, thanks!
A rotation is not a matrix, it is a vector [which represents the rotation axis] and a angle [expressed in degrees or radians representing the amount of rotation around the axis].
Sorry for the confusion. I think I even made a comment like "oh I thought I needed to convert that before" while recording it... I run into the problem when multiplying the rotations together, so then I convert the matrix back to rotation. Yes, I believe rotation is a 4D vector (X, Y, Z, W). You can convert rotation into a rotational matrix by plugging "Axis and Angle to Rotation" -> "SRT to Matrix" -> "3x3 Matrix". I did intend to use "Multiply Vector by Matrix", but should have converted it to 3x3 matrix first. I'll have to look into using just a "Multiply" node as TwinSnakes007 mentioned earlier.. Never tried that...

I've got some other tutorials that I'd like to offer, but I ran into a problem with my next one that needs sorting out.. I got some flipping issues when I was creating my Turret setup. Need to open an earlier project to see how I solved it.. I think I may have used ArcTan2 rather than Increment Rotation by 2 Vectors, so I gotta relearn that... :)

Thanks for watching!
-Dave

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 18 Aug 2011, 16:12

xsisupport wrote:I can convert them to mp4 for ya, if you're stuck.
I appreciate the offer, Stephen! Do you need the source files? They're fairly large (probably 6 gig in total).

What resolution does everyone record their videos at?

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 18 Aug 2011, 16:54

dwigfor wrote:
xsisupport wrote:I can convert them to mp4 for ya, if you're stuck.
I appreciate the offer, Stephen! Do you need the source files? They're fairly large (probably 6 gig in total).

What resolution does everyone record their videos at?
I have Camtasia Studio, so I would load the .avi and export it as .mp4.

Or could you just download the .flv from youtube and use that?
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 26 Aug 2011, 10:20

Finally got these up on Vimeo. If someone else needs help with it, I used Adobe Media Encoder and set it to Vimeo HD. Takes a long time for Vimeo to convert it, though... Much longer than Youtube...

ikfk

Post by ikfk » 02 Aug 2012, 11:29

x_x too hard to me, so what is the point of ICE kinematics? what that can do :D

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 02 Aug 2012, 18:11

Why do you need to know this? Let me try to explain a practical use of this. Since creating these tutorials, I wanted to try to create a box representing the camera's view frustum (what can be seen through the camera, with boundaries on the near/far plane. In addition I also create a projection plane from the camera, similar to this: http://julianjohnsonsblog.blogspot.com/ ... -grid.html

In order to keep that grid "parented" to the camera as the camera moves around, you need to multiply the point positions by the camera's global transform (4x4 matrix).
Get Data (self.pointposition) -> Multiply Vector By Matrix -> Set Data (self.pointposition)
camera.kine.global -^

Another example on why you should learn 4x4 matrix.. I was trying to emit points from an object's point positions. When I scaled, rotated, or moved the objects, the points would no longer emit from the object's point positions. To fix this, you need to multiply the point positions by the object's kine.global.

Or say you create a particle simulation and then want to change shape to cylinder shaped points and want to rotate them so they are on their side. Simple. Axis and Angle to Rotation (along Z 90degrees) * Get Data(self.orientation) -> Set Particle Orientation

I've found this stuff to be extremely helpful when working in ICE in general, not just ICE Kinematics. Biggest thing to remember is that the order that you multiply stuff is very important. Child * Parent.

Think about this:
1) You start walking forward 2 steps; you turn right 90 degrees
2) You turn right 90 degrees at start; you walk forward 2 steps.
Both involved walking forward 2 steps and turning 90 degrees, but they result in vastly different end locations.

Hopefully that helps.
-Dave

ChrB

Post by ChrB » 02 Sep 2012, 08:31

Thank you very much for these tutorials - they helped me a lot.
Arnold for the masses!

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 09 Oct 2012, 02:10

Super helpful, Thanks!

Draise

Post by Draise » 08 Jun 2016, 05:35

Thanks for these! Very helpful, and right to the point!