mSymm 2 : Symmetrize Tools

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

m|Symm2 2.0Author: Martin Yara
Updated September 2014 with support for multiple objects. mSymm2 provides a number of features for modeling with Symmetry: Symmetrize Polygon, Weights and UV with one click Realign points symmetry Select Mirror Components UV Mirroring Subtracts polygons and clusters and merges them back without losing properties.

Download page includes detailed usage instructions (Note: Top of that page is japanese/bottom is english). Introduction availale on vimeo - Video of an earlier beta version.

local backup: mSymm.xsiaddon
m|CombineAuthor: Martin Yara
Allows to quickly merge objects respecting hierarchy and enveloping. Video introduction. Details from the si-community thread (link below):

An update to my old and simple mCombine tool. It merges, reparent, renames, matches center, copy animation, copy envelope, vertex colors, and re-paints weight colors (matching them to their bone color) [..] Custom Preference Menu: You can access this menu through the SI Preferences window, or by pressing ctrl or alt or shift and clicking in "m.Combine Polygons". It now also supports groups, layers and partitions.

You can also use it as a custom command: mCombine ( objects, tolerance, moveCenter, copyAnimation, Gator, ReColor )

Ex: mCombine ( "cube, cube1", 0.1 , true, false, true, true ). It will merge cube with cube1 with a weld tolerance of 0.1, move the center to match cube1 center, it won't copy any animation even if cube1 is animated, it will acquire cube1 properties like envelope and vertex colors through gator and it will re-color points and weight maps to match their deformers wire colors.

local backup: mCombine.xsiaddon

New plugins, tools etc.
myara

mSymm 2 : Symmetrize Tools

Post by myara » 07 Apr 2012, 10:18

I've been working in this plugin for a few weeks in my free time, but I just can't make it work stable.
After a lot of combinations this is the most stable version so I'm releasing it as a beta.
It may be somewhat useful and I would appreciate some feedback too.

It may still be unstable so save your scene before using it !

The script version seems to be more stable. It hasn't crashed my SI yet. So I'm also including a script version inside the Addon Folder that should be something like this:
C:\Users\myara\Autodesk\Softimage_2012\Addons\mSymm\Application\Plugins

mSymm2_script_Xneg and mSymm2_script_Xpos

They are basicaly the same with different options, one to mirror to -x and the other to +x.
Open them with an editor if you want to change something and execute it from your script editor or create a button in your main shelf. These are the most stable versions so if you have problems with the PPG and still want to use it, give these a try.

http://myara.web.fc2.com/mSymm2.html

How to execute it:
You'll find a "Symm 2.0" button in your Model / Modify / Poly.Mesh menu

Version Compatibility
v7.0 and above

Warning :
This plugins deletes half of the model, applies symmetry polygon, and then mirror weights.
Therefore, you may lose some cluster based constrains, index based shape deformers, operators, etc.
Last edited by myara on 11 Apr 2012, 10:05, edited 2 times in total.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: mSymm 2 : Symmetrize Tools

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Apr 2012, 12:55

Interesting. Any specific "known"/reproducible behavior that makes it crash? :-\
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

myara

Post by myara » 07 Apr 2012, 15:29

So far I haven't been able to isolate the problem because SI doesn't give me any error message when it crashes. In the previous "alpha" versions it used to crash SI with the 3rd or 4th click while i could run the script version 20 times without problems.
In this version it seems more stable surviving my "stress tests" (clicking it as much as possible). But still I can't guarantee 100% stability.
M.Yara

myara

Post by myara » 09 Apr 2012, 09:37

I've updated the plugin (let's say beta 2), now it seems more stable even with commands (now you can undo).

I'm not 100% sure but it seems that if you use the automatic "Mirror All UVs", the probabilities that SI crashes can increment exponentially. Without "Mirror All UVs" I haven't had a single crash yet but I'll keep testing it.
M.Yara

crude

Post by crude » 12 Apr 2012, 10:14

cool, - thanks for your effort ! Good for the next modeling session :D

myara

Post by myara » 23 Apr 2012, 18:49

beta4 released. It seems quite stable now :)
M.Yara

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 23 Apr 2012, 19:19

I'll try it soon. Right now I'm caught into some non-modeling/texturing stuff, but I'll come back with some feedback after I'll manage to do a few tests.

Edit1:
It crashed in a few mins of using. I don't know how to reproduce it yet.
If I may make a suggestion: mirroring along Z and Y could be helpful in some situations.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

myara

Post by myara » 24 Apr 2012, 16:21

Damn, so it still unstable...! It hasn't crashed yet here, but I'll keep testing. Was it the beta4 version?
Thanks for your feedback I really appreciate it.

I don't know If I'll ever need them but yes I was thinking in Mirror X and Y too. I'll add that too if I ever get the Mirror X function stable.
M.Yara

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 26 Apr 2012, 20:58

Seems really nice! I will test tomorrow and give you some feedback. Thanks for sharing :)

myara

Post by myara » 27 Apr 2012, 05:27

Thanks. In the beta 4 I was focusing only in the main symmetry tool and it was stable (I think), but there were still problems with the second tab functions. I think I got it stable and working in my beta 5 (updated 2 days ago).

There are still some minor bugs, meaning it's not working like I want sometimes but at least it isn't crashing SI.
Now I can finally start to polish the code and hopefully release a final version soon.
M.Yara

j3st3r

Post by j3st3r » 30 Apr 2012, 16:08

Sorry to say, but every second use crashes XSI (2013)...

myara

Post by myara » 30 Apr 2012, 16:31

Thanks for your comment. Can you tell me which version did you try?

I'm aware that previous versions were pretty unstable but I think I got rid of the problem in the beta 5. At least I'm using it without havin a crash yet.
M.Yara

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 04 May 2012, 14:47

Hi Martin,

Just a quick question, is this nearing the final release or is there a lot more work to be done?

Sorry, im not finding too much time to have a proper look at it, so i must ask.

Thanks

myara

Post by myara » 04 May 2012, 16:58

Sorry but I really can't answer that. I think it is stable now in the beta 5 so I just need to polish the code and add some things I want, but I just don't have the time right now, I'll try to do it a few weeks later. Meanwhile I'm still testing it, using the beta5 version in my current project. If this version survives my tests and I manage to have some free time, I'll finish it ASAP.

Thanks for posting
M.Yara

myara

Post by myara » 26 Jun 2012, 18:41

A new version beta 7.

I dropped beta 6, rewrote a lot of the code, add some tools and delete some other.
I decided to write the combine and separate tools as a separate addon.

mCombine & mSeparate

mSymm 2 beta7
Stable so far:

I'm still testing it, but it seems pretty stable.
I'll do some more tests, write a simple manual and if everything goes fine, finally a release.

DOWNLOAD:
https://dc616.4shared.com/download/dC2O ... m.xsiaddon

To do:
- Write a Manual.
- Select mirror components takes the original position of the components only with points.
With edges and polygons it takes the current position even if it has been deformed.
(It is in my low priority todo list)
M.Yara

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 27 Jun 2012, 09:55

You have my love :) thanks!