So...general thoughts and experiences with SI2013.

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: So...general thoughts and experiences with SI2013.

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Apr 2012, 17:05

Is this a real question or more of a rethorical one? :-?
(I can't tell, as I haven't tried any of them yet)

edit - but judging from the comments on this page @ Stephen Blair's Support Blog,
I think I see what you might mean...
:(
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 25 Apr 2012, 17:16

Hirazi Blue wrote:(I can't tell, as I haven't tried any of them yet)
Almost everyone of them cause instant crash of the package.

How can you add a function to the final product without even running it?
Hirazi Blue wrote:edit - but judging from the comments on this page @ Stephen Blair's Support Blog,
print Application.GetObjectFromID2(0)

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 25 Apr 2012, 18:14

In order to be not too harsh just want to say that partial gator is actually pretty cool feature. It solves problems of the several objects with a different poly counts

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 26 Apr 2012, 16:39

iamVFX wrote:
Hirazi Blue wrote:(I can't tell, as I haven't tried any of them yet)
Almost everyone of them cause instant crash of the package.

How can you add a function to the final product without even running it?
Hirazi Blue wrote:edit - but judging from the comments on this page @ Stephen Blair's Support Blog,
print Application.GetObjectFromID2(0)
Logged it. And blogged it at ex-si support where I show how to check the ID first to workaround the crash.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 26 Apr 2012, 18:48

xsisupport wrote:Logged it. And blogged it at ex-si support where I show how to check the ID first to workaround the crash.
Thanks, Steve. But it's not only GetObjectFromID2

or GetPortFromName2

or GetGeometry3

it's also Layout.FindView2

GetPortFromIndex2

GetPropertyFromName2

and GetLocalPropertyFromName2 (that property is actually exists but function cause crash still)

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 27 Apr 2012, 19:09

Hey, I'm totally off-topic here, but I don't feel like opening a new thread just for this:
is there any way to bind to a hotkey the option switch Extrude/Duplicate in the drop-down "duplicated items > polygons" from Duplicate Options preferences?
I find myself switching quite often while modeling and I really hate buttons so dragging the command script line onto a toolbar to create a button is my last option, but I'll do it if there's no other way.
Thanks!
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

myara

Post by myara » 27 Apr 2012, 20:42

McNistor wrote:Hey, I'm totally off-topic here, but I don't feel like opening a new thread just for this:
is there any way to bind to a hotkey the option switch Extrude/Duplicate in the drop-down "duplicated items > polygons" from Duplicate Options preferences?
I find myself switching quite often while modeling and I really hate buttons so dragging the command script line onto a toolbar to create a button is my last option, but I'll do it if there's no other way.
Thanks!
If you know that you are TOTALLY OFFTOPIC then why do you post HERE?

Anyway you'll need to write a script, make it a command to assign it a key.

I though I could also use that so I wrote it.

Code: Select all

// JScript
var prefs = Application.Preferences;
CurrentValue = (GetUserPref("duplicate.polygons") );
prefs.SetPreferenceValue( "duplicate.polygons", 1 - CurrentValue  );
var modelog = CurrentValue == 1 ? "Duplicate" : "Extrude"
logmessage (modelog)
It will toggle between Duplicate and Extrude every time you run it and log the current mode.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 28 Apr 2012, 00:00

myara wrote:
McNistor wrote:Hey, I'm totally off-topic here, but I don't feel like opening a new thread just for this:
Thanks!
If you know that you are TOTALLY OFFTOPIC then why do you post HERE?

Anyway you'll need to write a script, make it a command to assign it a key.

I though I could also use that so I wrote it.

Code: Select all

// JScript
var prefs = Application.Preferences;
CurrentValue = (GetUserPref("duplicate.polygons") );
prefs.SetPreferenceValue( "duplicate.polygons", 1 - CurrentValue  );
var modelog = CurrentValue == 1 ? "Duplicate" : "Extrude"
logmessage (modelog)
It will toggle between Duplicate and Extrude every time you run it and log the current mode.
I just said, so that I won't open a new thread for what I believe to be a "not so important" thing.
Now that you're asked me even though I mentioned my reason and replying to your question, goes deeper into off-topic. Kudos for that! :ymapplause:
Gee, people need to relax... I thought I was tensed up...
Thanks for the code.
This thread http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php? ... adid=44096 helped me assign a key to the button for whoever is interested in this and is as "knowledgeable" as me. Mapped it to the useless hotkey 'R'

Edit: now that I think about this and look at the topic title, I'm not so sure anymore that I'm TOTALLY off-topic...
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Apr 2012, 10:38

I agree it wasn't "totally off-topic" (although it would easily have warranted its own thread). But myara's reaction was "understandable" as you yourself explicitly stated "I'm totally off-topic here" at the beginning of your post. myara, however, did try to help, so I'd say there is no actual harm done here... It's true, however, we all should relax a little...
;)

PS - And no, this isn't a reprimand, this is yet another attempt to clear the air... :-s
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 28 Apr 2012, 12:15

Back on topic...

Finaly got a chance to test out 2013. Quick impressions:

modeling:
- Cap hole is much, MUCH faster.
---> not a very good benchmark but found iamVFX's test with torus 80 000 polys = 50sec on 2012SAP; same torus in 2013 takes ONE sec to cap. Good job there.
- Slice between polys seems improved as well but i just cant believe this is what they think a modeling tool should look like.

HQV:
- The interaction is much better than i expected, but the conversion process is slow as hell.
- Its actually useful for light/shadow adjustments.

other:
- Retime tool is alright, but i haven't found a way to make keys respect frame snapping. They just get interpolated so you end up with keys inbetween the frames and have to fix them afterwards (not a huge chore, just right click and execute "move keys to nearest frame" but there should be an option to do this automatically).
- About mixer track color: if you make it possible to set them dark, why not make text appear in inverted color? Not a big deal, just dont get the logic behind this...
- Lots of annoying bugs got fixed, thats good.

Had a chance to look into new maya as well:
- Node editor is a joke. At least it has a [tab] node creation menu (cant forgive softimage devs for ignoring such an obvious feature). Other than that, its far from being user friendly or even useful at this point.
- nHair is very nice, though. Solver is fast, collisions and self collisions seem all accurate and stable. Obviously, you'd need some time to figure it all out but it seems sound.
- ...and found this in the prefs:

Its just mocking you right now, but hopefully its a base for a future softimage interaction model... Or maybe not. Time will tell.
Last edited by bottleofram on 28 Apr 2012, 13:42, edited 2 times in total.

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 28 Apr 2012, 13:18

bottleofram wrote:Image
Ahahahha, that's like a slap in the face. x_x

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 28 Apr 2012, 13:22

Hirazi Blue wrote:I agree it wasn't "totally off-topic" (although it would easily have warranted its own thread). But myara's reaction was "understandable" as you yourself explicitly stated "I'm totally off-topic here" at the beginning of your post. myara, however, did try to help, so I'd say there is no actual harm done here... It's true, however, we all should relax a little...
;)

PS - And no, this isn't a reprimand, this is yet another attempt to clear the air... :-s
I'm not aware of any 2013-specific issues related to creating keyboard shortcuts for scripts.
How To video here: http://xsisupport.wordpress.com/2011/07 ... r-scripts/
You can remove the button after and the command script remains.

A self-installing custom command is the other option.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 29 Apr 2012, 15:16

bottleofram wrote: Had a chance to look into new maya as well:
- Node editor is a joke. At least it has a [tab] node creation menu (cant forgive softimage devs for ignoring such an obvious feature). Other than that, its far from being user friendly or even useful at this point.
...and found this in the prefs:

Its just mocking you right now, but hopefully its a base for a future softimage interaction model... Or maybe not. Time will tell.
The Node Editor in Maya is still in its early stages, its got some way to go before it matches the Hypershade/Hypergraph, but it could get there. I find it ok to use, but at present I use it more of a replacement for Maya's Connection Editor.

Regarding the Interaction Mode pref, it will only show Maya only, because you're not using a Suite. If you had installed a Suite, there would also be a 'Suites mode'. Hence the reason for adding a 3ds Max mode to Softimage. A Maya/Max user, when using a Suite can now use that respective softwares 'mode' across all the products in the Suite. I agree though, it would be good to also see a Softimage mode in there as well.

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 29 Apr 2012, 18:05

Bellsey wrote:Regarding the Interaction Mode pref, it will only show Maya only, because you're not using a Suite. If you had installed a Suite, there would also be a 'Suites mode'. Hence the reason for adding a 3ds Max mode to Softimage. A Maya/Max user, when using a Suite can now use that respective softwares 'mode' across all the products in the Suite.
Makes sense...

Actually, it doesn't. Since you guys now offer an Ultimate Suite, which contains all these packages, a reasonable thing would be to offer a choice. Instead, you have only maya mode in all 3 so basically one group of users is well accommodated...

Yeah, i should stop expecting reason from AD.

(sorry, this is not directed at you)
Last edited by bottleofram on 29 Apr 2012, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 29 Apr 2012, 18:53

bottleofram wrote:
Bellsey wrote:Regarding the Interaction Mode pref, it will only show Maya only, because you're not using a Suite. If you had installed a Suite, there would also be a 'Suites mode'. Hence the reason for adding a 3ds Max mode to Softimage. A Maya/Max user, when using a Suite can now use that respective softwares 'mode' across all the products in the Suite.
Makes sense...

Actually, it doesn't. Since you guys now offer an Ultimate Suite, which contains all this packages, a reasonable thing would be to offer a choice. Instead, you have only maya mode in all 3 so basically one group of users is well accommodated...
Not quite, there is a Max interaction mode as well. Max users can use that interaction mode for the Suite - except Maya. Maya doesn't have a Max user mode at the moment.
I agree though, its not entirely perfect, but its way easier then it used to be.

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 30 Apr 2012, 13:47

Just tried 2013 quickly last night , HQV... does not support animated textures? really?
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.