Production challange,Import bvh doesnot work

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
kitesflyer

Production challange,Import bvh doesnot work

Post by kitesflyer » 23 Jul 2011, 15:39

This is a challenge I have been facing,need somebody to solve it as this could be a workflow for import export of mocap in softimage and Motionbuilder and cleanup of data exclusively in softimage as well.I want to cleanup the bvh in Softimage and not in Motion builder because I am doing an extensive cleanup on the data and also adding extra animations.I know that cleanup could be done in Motion builder but I want to do it in Softimage as it is my tool.

The following are the steps I am doing :

1.Generating a biped in SI with a shadow rig

2.tagging the biped to import bvh

3.importing bvh on the biped

4.plotting the motion data on the shadow rig

5.exporting the scene as fbx

6.Importing the fbx file to Motionbuilder and characterizing it and creating a control rig

7. plotting data to control rig

8.exporting as bvh

I have attached the images below.note that the bvh when imported in Softimage is a bundle of bones whereas the same bvh when imported in Maya works normally.
part_01a.jpg
part_01a.jpg (161.01 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
the result
the result
part_02a.jpg (228.94 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
Now the problem starts here,as I import this bvh in Softimage as bones it returns an error and no animation is found on the bones but if I import it as hierarchy of nulls it works well.Whereas, the same data opens up in maya normally as joints hierarchy
steps 5 to 8
steps 5 to 8
part_03 a.jpg (236.33 KiB) Viewed 2900 times

Manticor

Re: Production challange,Import bvh doesnot work

Post by Manticor » 14 Aug 2011, 09:26

Use MOTOR to do this.Also make sure you plot your animation to your rig before saving the scene file otherwise it will be corrupt when you re-open it.

kitesflyer

Post by kitesflyer » 14 Aug 2011, 09:39

Hi there -
Thanks for replying in my post,I do use motor for using Mocap in XSI,but the thing with me is that I want to export out bvh files to be used in other programs other than XSI.XSI does not support a bvh export option,also when I take fbx file from XSI to motion builder and then export bvh from that file in Motion builder I get all faulty data as other program like Maya is opening the file but the hierarchy of joints on the bvh is not as the same that a normal bvh file has.It still retains the eff and root from the xsi file.Its giving me nightmares .could you please suggest any option.
All I want is to cleanup mocap in XSI and export it as bvh. :ymdaydream: ~x(

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 14 Aug 2011, 11:19

It seems that the problem you have is in the naming convention used for the bones.There are few variations in the naming conventions ,the standard bvh naming convention is used by programs like motion builder and possibly maya ( I havent had any experience with animation in maya so cant confirm it),3DS max has a completely different naming convention for bvh files.
Open the bvh files of one that works and one that doesn't work and note the differences .Maybe renaming the the bones with string search and replace might fix it.
You could also use BVHacker to check the files.This program not only lets you rename the files but also you can reset the first frame of the animation so it stands in a tpose.
Another route you could try is doing a rig to rig motor transfer and export that to see if that works.
My guess is probably either due to the naming convention used or tpose is missing from first frame.I hope this helps

M

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 14 Aug 2011, 11:22

also exporting problem could be solved using polytrans as a converter.Fragmotion and I think ultimate unwrap can do the conversion too....possible 3D exploration.

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 14 Aug 2011, 11:27

oh and milkshape 3d supports dotxsi import and exports to bvh

kitesflyer

Post by kitesflyer » 14 Aug 2011, 16:57

Hmmm,great lemme try them

Thanks friend,hope you remain regular to this forum :)

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 14 Aug 2011, 17:30

Yeah will definately keep on here.
And thanks for the help about the plotting on my side .

Also was thinking that BVHacker may let you delete the end effector from the bvh file you have ...Im not 100% sure about it tho
Also you can export dotxsi to Polytrans and once its imported in it can also resample your animation using its arctic sampling system and also there are a lot of options to restructure and change the outputfile ...it may take a while of trial and error but Im 90% certain you can get something working spat out of it.

Hope this helps

M

kitesflyer

Post by kitesflyer » 13 Sep 2011, 12:30

Hi
friend,I have downloaded milkshape3D but I can't figure out how to import dotxsi and export .bvh out of it
could you please tell me what options to chose while importing and exporting??
thanks in advance
Kites

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 15 Sep 2011, 12:17

I dont really use milkshape .Ive had a tinker about with it a few times and know it imports/exports bvh .

I think maybe the solution you are wanting is a bit more simple.
You want mocap from xsi to import into maya yes?

In that case build a character in maya export to softimage using crosswalk ....retarget animation from biped to the imported crosswalk skeleton > export out and import back into maya using replace scene elements...its a process I use for getting animation back and forward between max and xsi.I cant see maya being any different.

Hope this helps

Kenny

kitesflyer

Post by kitesflyer » 15 Sep 2011, 19:30

no no I exactly want to import and export .bvh from milkshape.You said now it exports bvh,but how?would be great help if you explain a bit I will manage the rest.
it would save my months of effort if i can do this!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Sep 2011, 10:29

Unless there is some external plugin for Milkshape to export Biovision BVH files that I am not aware of (and cannot find on the internet), Milkshape cannot export bvh files, I'm afraid... There seems to be a Blender plugin that should be able to export BVH, while BVH import is default functionality with Blender AFAIK.

edit: from what I gather, the BVH export is part of Blender 2.5+ also, so there should be no need for an external plugin/script. I, however, do not use Blender myself, so I can't say for certain...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

kitesflyer

Post by kitesflyer » 19 Sep 2011, 09:49

Ok,lemme try blender too.I have to do this some how,I won't quit.
Thanks for your reply Hirazi Blue ~o)

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 19 Sep 2011, 21:15

Im not 100% sure about milkshape.As hirazi states blender should do it.
And also fragmotion will probably be able to do it

http://www.fragmosoft.com/

You can download a 7 day trail but to unlock/activate this demo you have to type in the text of the Lord's prayer....strange protection system.I find it a little odd that the devout christians have to try and force their religions down your throat...3D coat is another example ,where your license is not intended for any lewd,sexual or sacriligous works.

go figure.

edit: after Manticor's next post (see below) I tried to restore this post to its former glory (and added the URL tags.
To avoid further confusion I've changed "unlock it" to "unlock/activate this demo.
Sorry, my bad!!! - HB

kitesflyer

Post by kitesflyer » 20 Sep 2011, 11:06

Thanks Manticor,I am gonna try this thing right now.I will get back here

cheers mate!
kites

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 20 Sep 2011, 14:55

to moderator :-

the unlock was to open the 7 day trial not to unlock the whole software...maybe I should have used the word "äctivate" instead.
Sorry for the misunderstanding

Moderator edit - I stand corrected, but the term "unlocking" was "slightly" confusing,
sorry for my overactive moderating - HB