animation plotting incorrect results?

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
Manticor

animation plotting incorrect results?

Post by Manticor » 11 Aug 2011, 13:59

Hi

Im having problems plotting animation .When I plot it from imported mocap using motor it comes out with rotation errors in the spine and neck/head areas.
Does anyone know a how to fix this problem?

THanks

M

Manticor

Re: animation plotting incorrect results?

Post by Manticor » 14 Aug 2011, 08:51

Anyone?

Could really do with an answer to this and not succeeding in finding an answer.Seems like every time I post something I NEVER get a reply ...unless Im giving something to the community.
A simple one line answer will do ,someone must know the answer to this.
Softimage Ive found is a fantastic system ...but Ive also found that what others have claimed in other posts that the community is rather an elitist bunch..Im sorry to say.

kitesflyer

Post by kitesflyer » 14 Aug 2011, 10:02

If I understood correctly what you are doing is importing animation to an XSI biped rig using Motor,I think you should try importing bvh and then adjusting the different parts of the body,I have come across situations where the spine(especially lumber 4 in XSI biped) and neck had what is known as a bad rotation angle in XSI,in such a situation the spine rotates around 180 degree and so happens with the neck too.In that case you could also cheek the rig in which you are importing the animation.

ps- I also had the same Idea when I came to one of the XSI forums that it is rather an elitist bunch(so called).Sometimes people are just sarcastic and so they are misunderstood,but sometimes they really are,but this forum has passionate and generous people too,I have been helped by many.
However,I am very friendly and I believe that "An artist may come from anywhere." :)

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 14 Aug 2011, 11:33

Great Ill try that work around.Yes you are correct that the rig Im using has a problem with the neck rotation coming very close to gimbal lock ,Id build another from scratch but its too far into the project to do that.

Hope you have success with your bvh problem.

kitesflyer

Post by kitesflyer » 14 Aug 2011, 19:02

If it is in the middle of a project from my experience what you can do is save the skin weight of the rig as preset and then place nulls on all the joint roots and end eff's of the rig to mark their origin and re run the biped guide and match translation the new guide with the the nulls in place and make the necessary corrections in the neck and spine. Now,re generate the biped rig and for the skinning we already have the preset saved,so import it.for everything else we have Gator.
I generally keep a mother file of the rig saved when I generate the rig from biped guide or from any other guide with all the origin positions marked with nulls.this bad rotation thing has given me enough pain already.

just for curiosity don't you miss a hip control in the XSI biped rig? have you modified it ever and got a hip ctrl in place if done already then good,else I made a few changes to the rig to get 1 in place its simple but effective.I am no great rigger am just an animator,but it works for me.If you wish I can share.:)

All the best with your production

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 15 Aug 2011, 21:01

Well I do have the original guide to recreate the rig but I'm not sure whether I'm using the right type of rig.I'm using the skeleton spine and neck type which is causing the problem but when I used the quat neck type when I drop mocap onto it the head flies up by quite a long way,plus the shadow bulls aren't included for the head and neck on this type so at the time I chose to stick with full skeleton.
I'm a long time max user and used to using charcter studio but then moved over full time to xsi about a year ago.but working with xsi biped is lot more tricky than I'm used to,and lacking copy paste opposite is also a big loss for me.

What rig do you recommend using ? That causes the least amount of errors when plotting? Cos fixing errors every time I plot is wasting time i could be spending doing anims.

Thanks for the help mate.

kitesflyer

Post by kitesflyer » 16 Aug 2011, 06:03

I use skeleton spine and skeleton neck as well.I dislike the Quart spine it flips and the quart neck looks unrealistic and odd on characters.So,for using mocap I use the full skeleton with options that is hands will be children of hips and 2 bone toes.And I use this same rig for keyframing but I position constraint the arm controls so that they do not offset with the upper body control.

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 16 Aug 2011, 20:24

Is there any chance I can look at the rig you use to check the neck position against mine ?

thanks

m

kitesflyer

Post by kitesflyer » 16 Aug 2011, 22:13

ya sure I will use the max biped as the example will that do?I will put it up tomorrow its midnight now in India and I am sleepy i-)
tomorrow sure mate

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 19 Aug 2011, 21:50

Yeah that'd be cool fella .thanks

M

kitesflyer

Post by kitesflyer » 09 Sep 2011, 06:15

Hi friend I am sorry I am late but I have recorded the process here.Cheek out :)

part 1------------------ http://www.vimeo.com/28773650

part 2------------------ http://www.vimeo.com/28565916

Newcomer alert: please use the URL tags - HB

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 15 Sep 2011, 12:13

Hi sidaartha

Thanks for posting the videos nice to add it to the community .
Unfortunately I already know how to do this process as Ive done it quite a lot over the past months.What I couldn't figure out was why the animation was plotting incorrectly from the neck up .
But after trawling through some threads I found that turning the IK off on the head ( ** why would IK be needed on the head anyway???!!!...(.unless its being used for an emu/ostrich character)***) seems to fix nearly all the problems Ive encountered

Thanks once again tho

M

kitesflyer

Post by kitesflyer » 15 Sep 2011, 19:40

I see. Its good to hear though,that your problem is solved somehow.Yes,any joint chain you draw in xsi has ik/fk by default.hehehe even if you don't want it,sometimes it's very troublesome,I saw people having tough time in rigging a robot arm because of the solvers.Anyways,great that your problem is solved.
:)