3delight tests

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Blob StrokesAuthor: Anto Matkovic
Here's a small ICE compound used to generate these 'blob-strokes'. I had something like this before, but I really wasn't so excited by the speed of generation. Now with 3delight, it's definitely feasible, updates are performed immediately. The compound creates particles on curve list, evenly distributed, count is relative to particular sub-curve length (still, you'll need to take care of curve re-parametrization). It's also able to perform 'write on' on one-after-another subcurve (by sub-curve, or normalized by sub-curve length). In short, you can 'draw' 3d strokes with it, by animating the slider value. There are a few additional parameters. [..] contd. under si-community link

local backup: Emit Blobs From CurveList.xsicompound
3DelightAuthor: dna research
v4.0.41 updated Feb 21st 2015. 3Delight is a fast, high quality, RenderMan®-compliant renderer designed to produce photo-realistic images in demanding production environments. The renderer was introduced to the public in the year 2000 after being used for more than a year as the sole renderer in a sister production company. It is now widely used and earning a reputation as a benchmark in rendering technology. [..] (cont'd on product page)

DNA research recently released the 4.0.41 upgrade along with making the free license now support up to 8-core CPUs. Highlights from the changelog: Volumetric Smoke and Shards Any shader as light source projection Exposure, Gamma Controls Mesh Light support ESC to stop render. Last year's big 4.0 update introduced features such as: support for deep EXR files Native MARI textures support Improved sampling of environment maps Added the physically plausible 3Delight Material "Continuous rendering" is now enabled by default Up to x2 acceleration in hair/fur rendering Memory usage is down 30% when using the path tracer Skin shader for 3Delight for Softimage Motion Map property is now supported

A list of movie project rendered with the 3Delight renderer. As mentioned the product is free of charge for the first 8-core license. Additional quad-core licenses are available for 400$ each and unlimited multi-core licenses for 900$ each. Yearly support and updates 190$/290$ resp.

Comments on work in progress
Nizar

Re: 3delight tests

Post by Nizar » 03 May 2011, 11:00

Agree, impressive, and like really mush the '50 scifi style you use.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 03 May 2011, 16:44

Great job as usual! I really like the overall design of the character, especially the suit. Very nice renders!

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 15 May 2011, 01:10

Thank You guys!

so that's a final image. I've added a bit of EmFluid. As I heard from experienced people in this field, there should be a city in the background, or some smoke instead :). Particles were rendered as 'lightweight' point particles, as 3delight automatically uses this mode with point particle shape.

Cheers

huge picture...

shadow_ex_

Post by shadow_ex_ » 15 May 2011, 08:12

great character^^

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 16 May 2011, 20:01

That's looking great!

I'm still sitting here with no 3Delight. I keep getting the error 5050 licence error and can't figure it out. I've posted many times on their forum but they seem to have no intention of helping which doesn't bode well if I purchased a license and then needed support.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 16 May 2011, 20:44

Thank You!

Well I'm probably the last person on this planet with some usable knowledge about networks and services, but anyway: that I know, exactly the same message can appear if a free version of standalone 3delight is running in the same time with free plugin for SI (which seems to be logical, otherwise four cores would be allowed).
But I think you don't have a standalone 3delight installed. So my very wild guessing, is that SI plugin recognizes *something* as 'another copy of itself'. Now, what this is... I don't know.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 16 May 2011, 21:27

@ActionArt - Could it be there is still a rogue "license.dat" or "rendermn.ini" on your computer from an earlier install?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 16 May 2011, 21:34

Like you say, I think it must think that something else is 3Delight or there is a stray file from a previous version but I don't know what or where it is. I've tried everything I can think of.

I have SI 2011 and 2012 installed but 2011 doesn't have 3Delight installed and I've searched the whole system for any files that might be related. This is the only computer in the shop with SI on it. I also tried putting it on 2011 but got the same thing.

@Harazi - There doesn't seem to be unless it's hiding really well.

caledonian_tartan

Post by caledonian_tartan » 18 May 2011, 20:34

i REALLY like 3delight and i'm rendering some hair/fur right now with shadow maps. but processing those takes quite a bit of time...
is there a way to save shadowmaps like FG maps? so that it writes them once and then could just read the maps...
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 18 May 2011, 21:59

caledonian_tartan wrote:i REALLY like 3delight and i'm rendering some hair/fur right now with shadow maps. but processing those takes quite a bit of time...
is there a way to save shadowmaps like FG maps? so that it writes them once and then could just read the maps...
well that should be 'render shadow maps' option in global render options, you just turn it off, once shadow map is generated. If you want just one shadow map across multiple frames, remove [frame] from shadow map name - of course this assumes non-moving objects.
There is also a 3delight 'light property' for settings per individual light.

However if you're using colored shadows, it seems that color is saved too.

caledonian_tartan

Post by caledonian_tartan » 19 May 2011, 10:12

NICE! thank you.
that assumes non-moving objects AND cameras, right?
I don't completely understand what could be changed without the need of regenerating the maps.
I think tuning a hairshader or lights intensity should work with the same map, but things like changing the length of the hair or the position of the lights needs to generate new maps, right?
it's not too well documented in the SI manuals...

EDIT: 3delight Manual:
A good use of this toggle is to set
it to ‘off’ after rendering the shadows once (since when lights do not move,
there is no need to re-generate shadows). There is a more fine-grained control
over shadow map generation in the light properties page (see Section 4.4 [Light
Properties], page 24).
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 19 May 2011, 12:21

caledonian_tartan wrote:NICE! thank you.
that assumes non-moving objects AND cameras, right?
without 'AND cameras' - you can move the camera..... you can try it, just render a small scene with a few objects, turn of 'render shadow maps', hide some objects, render it again..
there's another option under 'Diagnostic', 'display shadow maps with i-display' or something like that, that will show your shadow maps, just after creation. btw, shadow maps are some kind of z-depth images, rendered from lights, instead of 'final' camera.

caledonian_tartan

Post by caledonian_tartan » 19 May 2011, 15:56

i remebered something about the z-depth-like creation and thought this comes from the camera... nonsense.
you're absolutely right. it comes frome the lights! makes much more sense... \:D/
thanks for your answer. i must admit that my question deserved a RTFM...
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 22 May 2011, 15:18

never mind...

btw, in latest 3dl download, 3.08, point-based color bleeding works with IBL too, with hair as well. A good reason for new tests....

now a shameless plug (but somehow I'm not sure how many SI-community visits the Area too :) ) - latest image is on Area front page for a while. Back to topic, here's a few more details about hair shading, that I already posted on Area. Really nothing so smart, some images were already posted here, but anyway:

Lighting is a light rig with deep shadow maps. On some places, there's ray-traced ambient occlusion - but hair is excluded from AO.
I intentionally went with as much uniform and simple setup - the goal was to get the same lighting setup for entire character. Dust, background and smoke are separate passes, but character is a just one.
So that's a sunlight with 4096 DSM, back light with 2048, about 20 lights for dome lighting, with 1024 DSM. All lights had enabled both diffuse and specular lighting. I've tweaked shadows to get as much low bias and low smoothing - except back light which has a bit longer bias, in order to get translucency effect. Translucency is not so pronounced here because of type of hairdo, but not big deal to get with more 'spreading' hairdos, like this one, or this. I've used only two lights for these two.
Hair shader is a standard, out-of-the-box one, I think it's what is usually called 'shave'. Again, I've been able to go with more advanced shading model as a custom Renderman shader, but I wanted to keep everything as much simple. Some recipe for bright hair is to use colored shadows, a bit darker and more saturated than diffuse color.

I've noticed that hair density has a significant influence, too high density can do a 'melted' shading. So there are a lot of tweaks to avoid this. Let's say, 'clump' effect at the end of hairs isn't an interpolation between guides and hairs, it's a proportional scaling along existing hair shape - as hairs are closer to guides, they are longer. There are five or six mixes between different ways of 'hair grouping', I think. At the end, there is about 30k hairs, all at 0.15 pixel size. By following guidelines from docs, size is the same along hair length - but transparency is varying, from about 0.1 at roots to 0.5 at tips, full transparency just at tips.
There are another small enhancements, for example. specular intensity is randomized along hairs.

happy '3d-lighting' :)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 May 2011, 16:55

Very nice and informative as usual... \m/
As to your "plug": I don't know if many people who would still admit to visit the Area
("the place where black holes go to die..."),
like myself ( :-$ ), visit it by way of the front page
(I only go there - by bookmark - to enjoy the welcoming warmth of the Softimage forum directly).
So it's good you've pointed it out...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 22 May 2011, 17:19

nice renders and tests. one thing that could be a problem is the lightdome with 20 lights and its very high dsm resolution. from my experience its possible that you get a shimmering effect of the hair shadows in animation (besides rendetime issues with such high dsm's and more complex hair setups). have you tryed to use pc based ao on it? what is the difference in rendertime compared to a dsm lightrig?