keying the visibility

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
agrmrs

keying the visibility

Post by agrmrs » 25 Sep 2010, 14:25

hi friends :) i'm trying a little animation this time ........ as u see in the below picture , i need to let this object appeared invisible from point A to point B gradually .......so i think i need to key the visibility of this object from point "A" to point "B" ...... i tried deformers but didn't work since i didn't need to deform the object shape but only needed to key the visibility ......... i'm pretty new to animation in xsi so any help would be great .......thanx a lot :)
Last edited by agrmrs on 11 Feb 2015, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: keying the visibility

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Sep 2010, 14:44

I think, keying the visibility probably isn't what you want, as this only works on a per object basis, AFAIK, turning the visibility for the whole object on or off.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

agrmrs

Post by agrmrs » 25 Sep 2010, 14:52

Hirazi Blue wrote:I think, keying the visibility probably isn't what you want, as this only works on a per object basis, AFAIK, turning the visibility for the whole object on or off.
ohh yes if we turn off it the whole object gets invisible ...... is there any good way to do it ? thanx

irakli_san

Post by irakli_san » 25 Sep 2010, 16:25

1. you can do it with animated gradient map connected to transparency or cutout opacity(for mia material). 2. mm.. or deform shape.
3. ooor.. use boolean and then translate boolean mesh.
4. ooooorrr slice polygons, set action to Delete Polys Above, animate offset %.

these are simplest methods that come to my head

agrmrs

Post by agrmrs » 25 Sep 2010, 16:28

irakli_san wrote:1. you can do it with animated gradient map connected to transparency or cutout opacity(for mia material). 2. mm.. or deform shape.
3. ooor.. use boolean and then translate boolean mesh.
4. ooooorrr slice polygons, set action to Delete Polys Above, animate offset %.

these are simplest methods that come to my head
hi mate actually i slice the plygon surface .....but do no how to set an action to delete that poly and animate the offset ......can u explain me a bit .......thanx a lot :)

agrmrs

Post by agrmrs » 25 Sep 2010, 16:34

hi mate actually in this case i need to make something like ice cracking effect :D mm hope u can remember the film ice age :ymhug: so below u can see my cracks.....but do no how to set an action to delete that poly ( cracks ) and animate the offset ......can u explain me a bit .......thanx a lot :)
Last edited by agrmrs on 05 Jul 2013, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

irakli_san

Post by irakli_san » 25 Sep 2010, 16:36

Look inside Slice Polygons Op of mesh, play with the settings and you'll figure it out

agrmrs

Post by agrmrs » 25 Sep 2010, 17:33

irakli_san wrote:Look inside Slice Polygons Op of mesh, play with the settings and you'll figure it out
thanx mate .........i,ll have a look

agrmrs

Post by agrmrs » 25 Sep 2010, 20:45

i used the slice command and worked fine ...but got a little problem ..... i recorded a little video to show it ........if u can refer the below video u can get a rough idea about that problem .....ur ideas would be much appreciate to solve that prob ....thanx

crack test video
http://www.sendspace.com/file/e2gt4j

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Sep 2010, 20:54

Rotating your grid ever so slightly might solve that problem.

Another thing you could try is the BoolTrace shader.
BoolTrace allows you to render meshes as though they were an intersected boolean.
The shader can be found in the collection you can download from here and the old explanation can still be found here and here (courtesy of the "Wayback Machine" Internet Archive)
;)

To make things clearer: using Booltrace you'd create a second object to substract from the first at render time and you animate the position of that second object (that never shows in the render itself).
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

agrmrs

Post by agrmrs » 25 Sep 2010, 21:50

Hirazi Blue wrote:Rotating your grid ever so slightly might solve that problem.

Another thing you could try is the BoolTrace shader.
BoolTrace allows you to render meshes as though they were an intersected boolean.
The shader can be found in the collection you can download from here and the old explanation can still be found here and here (courtesy of the "Wayback Machine" Internet Archive)
;)

To make things clearer: using Booltrace you'd create a second object to substract from the first at render time and you animate the position of that second object (that never shows in the render itself).
thanx a lot mate .......just checking it :)