Shape Manager Frustration

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
Shredder565

Shape Manager Frustration

Post by Shredder565 » 02 May 2016, 19:57

How come whenever I make changes to the base model, ALL MY SHAPE MANAGER shapes get mucked up?

I only make shape changes to the turtle face. Yet if I move or weld points on the hand, buckle, feet, shell, the face ALWAYS gets messed up, and I have to do it all over again.
Seriously, this is the TENTH time some minor changes to the body have caused my shape animation to mess up and it's really pissing me off..

sigh..

it's never easy.

julius

Re: Shape Manager Frustration

Post by julius » 02 May 2016, 22:21

Don't know if it's bug, but when you change your base model geometry, duplicate your model first for all your shapes an freeze them. Then if it happen again, apply the shapes to your new geometry.

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 03 May 2016, 09:37

Always best to do shapes after you've finished the model if you can.

Point order changes WILL screw them up. Softimage point order will maintain with some topology operations, but its not magic and some will change it, so if you can in future, do the shapes after modelling is done.

However this is fixable if you have an old scene/Model with the shapes before they messed up, its very easy to transfer them to the new model using Gator or ICE.

Gator is more convenient as it makes the shapes for you and will probably work fine.

The ICE route is a lot more manual and means you have to make the shapes exist first to then write to, but ICE gives you full control over how the transfer should work.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 03 May 2016, 15:46

hmm, more stuff I don't know how to do. I really wish there was a good how to book or something i could have around that shows step by step some of this stuff....

too bad someone else can't buy softimage and continue to develop product for it.