How to convert position animation to singular path animation

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
jacobo

How to convert position animation to singular path animation

Post by jacobo » 01 Mar 2014, 17:01

Hi;

I have an object that has its posx, y, and z animated. I want to be able to extract the path of this animation using, say plot>Curve. Then I want to be able to path constrain another object to this extracted path which is supposed to follow the keyframe animated object, so I need to calculate the path yield of the posx, y and z curves in world space. How can I go about accomplishing this?

Thank you in advance;

AJ

sonictk

Re: How to convert position animation to singular path animation

Post by sonictk » 02 Mar 2014, 18:11

jacobo wrote:Hi;

I have an object that has its posx, y, and z animated. I want to be able to extract the path of this animation using, say plot>Curve. Then I want to be able to path constrain another object to this extracted path which is supposed to follow the keyframe animated object, so I need to calculate the path yield of the posx, y and z curves in world space. How can I go about accomplishing this?

Thank you in advance;

AJ
Hi, not sure if this is an easier solution, but here's what I would do:

1. Select your first object that is going to have a motion path and do Create > Path > Convert pos fcurves to path.
2. Plot the transformations of that object. (Plot > positions)
3. Copy the animation off it (Animation > Copy)
4. Paste it onto your 2nd object.

OR: you can also constrain your 2nd object to that path and animate the path %age parameter to get it to follow along.

Is this what you're trying to do?

jacobo

Re: How to convert position animation to singular path animation

Post by jacobo » 03 Mar 2014, 15:11

Ha Presto!!! :) :) That's exactly what I was looking for, never considered looking under that menu. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

Cheers :) :ymparty:

AJ