Object "flow" along a path

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
Diurno

Object "flow" along a path

Post by Diurno » 02 Feb 2010, 12:51

Hi all, i was wondering if it's possible to make an object slide along a curve (like a path) but in the same time this object has to deform following the curve.... I've tried with the simple Deform by Curve, but the object won't be aligned with it...

I've made another test here:

Mathaeus

Re: Object "flow" along a path

Post by Mathaeus » 02 Feb 2010, 22:49

For that purpose, you can really try this compound:
http://area.autodesk.com/downloads/plug ... two_curves
It's similar to Softimage Deform by curve operator, but it use another curve as an up vector. Limitation is that compound finds *closest* location to second curve, so you can get wrong up vector if your path overlaps, or some parts of curves are too cloose to each other.

In case where overlaps are problem, you can try this one - it's a slightly modified compound that uses UV to location node, instead of Closest location.

Usage is to create unsimulated ICE tree on mesh, connect compound and curves. Steps accuracy value shoud be a bit higher than your mesh have points along local Z axis, actually you can increase it until mesh stay 'calm'. Compound uses local Z axis of mesh.

About up vectors, for anything serious , it's very good idea to use control objects instead of world axes - unless all movement is performed along plane, parallel to some of these axes.