Replacing keyframes on the timeline

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
druitre

Re: Replacing keyframes on the timeline

Post by druitre » 03 Jul 2013, 14:18

Hi Jho (and Sonictk), I think to keep things clear it would be better to not call the thing with the green bar 'copying', all you're doing is creating a NEW key (but not at the position you're currently at). It's called 'Keying the Current Values at a Different Frame ' in the manual.

As Gustavo points out, the issue is that select-moving (dragging) keys is a swift way to re-order (chunks of) animation but currently the chance is big you'll screw up your animation in a major way without noticing it. I don't see why it has this default of not replacing or merging keys, while in all other modes it does.

I'll report it as a bug.

sonictk

Re: Replacing keyframes on the timeline

Post by sonictk » 03 Jul 2013, 15:22

Mm, usually when I move one pose I just copy it from a frame and to another frame, then delete the earlier pose. If I have to move regions of keys I never use the timeline, I always use the graph editor because I'm used to moving my frames via absolute offsets, not moving them manually. I like to key on 2s or 1s like traditional-style. Plus in Maya when moving keys on the timeline it sometimes doesn't snap to frames so it's a habit I picked up from there.

The shortcut system should be revisited a little though yea.