Freeze transformations in local ?

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
Falam

Freeze transformations in local ?

Post by Falam » 06 Mar 2013, 02:16

How can I freeze SRT (specifically translation) while keeping the objects local coordinates, freezing only works when the center was in global coordinates, when the objects center is in local, freeze, or neutral pose won't work ?

I hope this wasn't answered, I searched for similar on this forum and the net, could be worded different by someone else :)

Falam

Re: Freeze transformations in local ?

Post by Falam » 08 Mar 2013, 19:21

Falam wrote:How can I freeze SRT (specifically translation) while keeping the objects local coordinates, freezing only works when the center was in global coordinates, when the objects center is in local, freeze, or neutral pose won't work ?

I hope this wasn't answered, I searched for similar on this forum and the net, could be worded different by someone else :)
Where I want the box pivot, the box coordinates as you see in the image.

Moving center to vertices, then freezing translation moves the center. I want to freeze the box translation where it is in the first image. There is nothing in the docs I can find on how to overcome this ?

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 08 Mar 2013, 19:31

Set neutral pose.

Falam

Post by Falam » 08 Mar 2013, 21:30

dwigfor wrote:Set neutral pose.
I tried that the translation doesn't reset to 0 !

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 08 Mar 2013, 22:20

You sure? I just double checked to see if I was crazy, and it works as expected....

Are you sure you're looking at Local, and not Global?

Falam

Post by Falam » 09 Mar 2013, 03:13

dwigfor wrote:You sure? I just double checked to see if I was crazy, and it works as expected....

Are you sure you're looking at Local, and not Global?
I'm looking at local, I read the area on this in the docs, there is always room for error, but it is not working.

sonictk

Post by sonictk » 09 Mar 2013, 12:25

Could you post your scene file if possible? I just tested this behaviour as well and it seems to be working. I've also recorded a short video of the process I used.

http://youtu.be/3a_xI0Kyef4

Also, try resetting the pivot instead of moving the center to vertices; I find that more reliable, since center actually creates a 'center' operator that you need to freeze in the stack first
Last edited by sonictk on 09 Mar 2013, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

Falam

Post by Falam » 09 Mar 2013, 17:41

I made a mistake, thank you for the help :)
How can freeze translation for global too, so local and global are the same ?

sonictk

Post by sonictk » 09 Mar 2013, 23:11

I...don't think you can freeze global transformations? This applies to any 3D app, I think. What is happening afaik is that the object is being parented to the world object (at origin) so that you can move it around in local space.