Record movements

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
iamVFX

Re: Record movements

Post by iamVFX » 13 Oct 2014, 01:37

One guy asked me what's about this app, I'll copy my answer here because you should understand the context:

"I dropped Softimage exactly at that time because of its rusty SDK and absolutely horrible to the point of being called garbage Python "API". Thanks god I started learning programming back then, with each study I realized more how miserable Softimage experience was. Don't get me wrong, other packages not that better either, THEY'RE JUST NOT FUN AT ALL. I mean, what the fuck people, we're doing COMPUTER GRAPHICS, world building, creature creation, we bring non-living things to life, why it's not that fun as it sounds? It should be, like this animation from mouse in Softimage which interests you STILL AFTER 2 FUCKING YEARS.

Back on track. Fuck all this stupidity of "professional" computer graphics field, we can do better, I know how I can do better for myself, don't particularly give a fuck what others may think on this, these people should just look at the fucking world and count how many people doing 3D and how many people actually interact with 3D through video games. Why we are limited with these HOLD ALT AND LEFT MOUSE BUTTON TO ROTATE CAMERA when millions of people feel super comfortable with camera in first person shooter games?

So I was thinking lately how to BRING FUN BACK to animation. Not creating a tool for "professional TDs", whoever that is, not making a plugin for "Maya/Houdini/Whatever", but making a tool for NORMAL people without much of experience in "professional" field, maybe with less ambitious goals but who want to have fun doing animation. Have you heard of Garry's Mod? 80% chance you have. Even kids do animation with it, generating millions of views on youtube. That's how low barrier should be set. And it doesn't matter I will set it or someone else, it should happen sooner or later. Let's try sooner, as sooner as possible."

EDIT: Sorry, I have to unsubscribe from this thread so that I won't read stupid messages from people who think they're know what they're doing with computers. Email me if you're interested, move along if not.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 13 Oct 2014, 04:08

On the list, Sebestian pointed-out how convoluted a hair plugin was in Maya,

(with half a dozen things that you have to know for it to be okay, which you could never figure out by simple trial and error.)
and how that was the same as Maya in general.

While to be fair, hair is also a perfect example of soft in general, where things aren't necessarily all ready to go, but are also but one serious thought and a half away (whith perhaps the help of bits and parts of existing setups) to getting to more than just decent result, sometimes resulting with a workflow/result that blows (at least most of) everything out of the water (once again)
With the hurdles being more of a question of finding new combinations than learning how to do hardcore scripting/programming.

The recent orangutang is but one example of that, and I recall seeing really incredible and ridiculously straight-forward (proprietary) styling/dynamics with almost flawless looking renders (using Hair as but one example)

But, for me personally, if I still have a thing about (officially) discontinued software, it would be that if it (truly) died, I feel that, what you call 'fun', (which I equate to 'sanity' when going towards end goals when doing 3D) would die along with it.

That and how it most probably will very-much remain a pinnacle of usability/efficiency years from now,
(when doing things otherwise being more or less complicated/convoluted or long, at varying but considerable degrees)
as long as the only other one, would be the only other one that's up to it (generally speaking as a 'replacement').

I think (objectively I believe) that for those that have the freedom to choose what they use, that SI overall remains and likely will remain by a consideraqble margin, the 'best' choice (most efficient for many things.. as before) to translate what is imagined into pixels :]

But maybe we should we say screw it? and go for that only other thing?

While there may certainly be good reason to do so, many would rather do something else in these (especially manipulated) conditions (and that includes myself)

So if I still have hope, maybe it's just me not wanting to quit 3D entirely (knowing that SI can evolve without AD, but not without a community)
while I don't think it's just me, or that it's being unreasonable.

(especially seeing how ice continues to surpass itself in what people end-up doing with it )

Otherwise, good luck with your app! sounds neat!

cheers,

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 13 Oct 2014, 10:40

The only application that i could say i had fun most is Sketchup. In Softimage is working with M key, parts of ICE. In Cinema 4D with deformers, in 3DsMax working with MassFX.

druitre

Post by druitre » 14 Oct 2014, 10:24

@ iamvfx: just mailed you

- Jasper

luceric

Post by luceric » 14 Oct 2014, 16:19

iamVFX wrote:EDIT: Sorry, I have to unsubscribe from this thread so that I won't read stupid messages from people who think they're know what they're doing with computers. Email me if you're interested, move along if not.
AKA the nuclear option to participating in a conversation.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 14 Oct 2014, 20:15

Which I would assume being mostly due to Softimage itself getting Nuked,
with the changing to other (related) fields seemingly being fairly common ground in reaction to that unwelcome (considerably inconsiderate) move.

(with seemingly the full support of employees holding the company line all the way t'il the end (without question), and seemingly incapable of taking or doing any sort self-criticism)

at least this chitty-chatter contributes to making the latest active topics page roughly a page long..

vektrex

Post by vektrex » 25 Feb 2016, 19:18

Is it possible to give a try at the app Constantine wrote?
Thx.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 26 Feb 2016, 16:10

This also works great!

DirectTrans
http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... irectTrans

Link to addon:
DirectTrans1.0.0.xsiaddon

You can say thank-you on his vimeo page if you like it :)
https://vimeo.com/147971266

Human body (2)
(3) effects
(4) car RIG

01: DirectTrans features

This tool is a tool Softimage hand motion create a speed keyframe.

You can create animation including the timing becomes animation do the thing you DirectTrans so in a short period of time.
Developed under the concept and the tools to create a motion at the speed of thought.

02: how to use the DirectTrans
Select the object (1)
(2) press the Rec button and starts "real time capture".
(3) "real-time capture" running to freely manipulate the subject.
(4) "real-time capture' race at a Plot, press button.

03: more information
-Compatible version
softimage2015
I suspect softimage7.5~softimage2014 is moving.

-Distribution format
Free of charge (donations are welcome. )

Download
DirectTrans1.0.0.xsiaddon right click link to save

-Setup
→ "main" install "file"-> "addons"-> "installation".

-How to start
"Main"-> "view"-> will launch a "DirectTrans toolbar" from the "toolbar".
Or Animate module-> [tools] → starts directly from the device.

04: Supplement
It is more convenient because you can start with one-button device driver in the standard feature of SOFTIMAGE, burn key features, is the "DirectTrans" setting is required, including the management of.

We can accommodate various animations in conjunction with constraints and ICE and use.

I want to release future there is enough response, DirectTrans a great rig.

SoftImage is closed, so there is now, I'm starting point now.
Bought new licenses of MAYA wiht softimage2016 and...
Aiming for softimage can be used permanently in the struggle.

vektrex

Post by vektrex » 26 Feb 2016, 16:21

Seems great, thank you.
I missed that post.
Cheers.