How to cut edge like MAYA's Multi-Cut tool ?

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
anyheart

How to cut edge like MAYA's Multi-Cut tool ?

Post by anyheart » 24 Dec 2018, 13:58

Softimage's cut edge and split edge tool is good,but sometimes not efficient enough,how to cut edge across multiple edges by two clicks :D
Attachments
SI_Multi_Cut.jpg

myara

Re: How to cut edge like MAYA's Multi-Cut tool ?

Post by myara » 24 Dec 2018, 14:26

For that you in softimage you use the Knife tool. The only problem is that you need to select the faces you want to cut, otherwise it will cut the entire object.

Maya’s multi cut tool is very useful and a huge improvement over the interactive cut tool, has some cool feature such as symmetry and cut, but it is still too unreliable (I haven’t used 2018 yet so I don’t know if that has changed)
Softimage’s add edge on the other hand is flawless, and it allows you to cut over a face without the need of clicking over edges.
Last edited by myara on 25 Dec 2018, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

rray

Post by rray » 24 Dec 2018, 15:37

Have been missing exactly this so often. Knife (aka Slice Polygons Tool) with point or edge snap indeed does come quite close though, few more steps involved but actually much more powerful.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

anyheart

Post by anyheart » 24 Dec 2018, 16:06

Thank you for your advice,Myara and rray

I use the Knife tool to do this for now,but sometimes you just want it more fast and more efficient :D

anyheart

Post by anyheart » 22 Feb 2019, 14:11

rray wrote: 24 Dec 2018, 15:37 Have been missing exactly this so often. Knife (aka Slice Polygons Tool) with point or edge snap indeed does come quite close though, few more steps involved but actually much more powerful.
myara wrote: 24 Dec 2018, 14:26 For that you in softimage you use the Knife tool. The only problem is that you need to select the faces you want to cut, otherwise it will cut the entire object.

Maya’s multi cut tool is very useful and a huge improvement over the interactive cut tool, has some cool feature such as symmetry and cut, but it is still too unreliable (I haven’t used 2018 yet so I don’t know if that has changed)
Softimage’s add edge on the other hand is flawless, and it allows you to cut over a face without the need of clicking over edges.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7016

Hi rray,myara,hope it helps.