select invisible points

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
wesserbro

select invisible points

Post by wesserbro » 18 Oct 2016, 16:09

Hi, all! I was wondering if you can select nurbs control points behind the actual surface without turning on xray (which just makes a mess in viewport).
EDIT: in tweak mode

myara

Re: select invisible points

Post by myara » 24 Oct 2016, 11:06

Not Possible.

But you could set Xray in your Object's Display Properties to 0.999 so it will be almost non transparent but Move Tool will see the components in the back.
I don't really see the point though. If you can't see it you won't be able to manipulate it accurately.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 24 Oct 2016, 12:56

By the way, old trick is to assign a semi transparent material. I've used that for other purposes, like nurbs surface as guide for hair styling, somehow worked better than any other option. Should be possible to select points behind, too.

myara

Post by myara » 24 Oct 2016, 13:02

The effect should be very similar.

Using a semi-transparent was a way to simulate XRay Transparent per Objects when it didn't existed back then.

BTW, I forgot, change your XRay to Transparent or Overlay.
Display Settings don't have a Mode Option for XRay. The XRay Mode is a Camera Property.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

wesserbro

Post by wesserbro » 24 Oct 2016, 13:06

myara wrote:Not Possible.

But you could set Xray in your Object's Display Properties to 0.999 so it will be almost non transparent but Move Tool will see the components in the back.
I don't really see the point though. If you can't see it you won't be able to manipulate it accurately.
You can still predict where the point is and then it gets highlighted in tweak mode.
With setting xray to 0,8 -0,9 its even better: you can see the point and do not get the cluttered viewport. Nice )

But, i get this alpha sorting issue, with both xray and transparent material suggested by Mathaeus...
sort_issue.jpg
EDIT: found this on the forum: "It seems like XSI doesn't do any depth-sorting by itself.... what a pity", 2009.
Is this still legit for newer versions?