cage deformer

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
wesserbro

cage deformer

Post by wesserbro » 26 Sep 2016, 19:08

Hi all! There are some addons and plugins for cage deformation over internet. Almost all of them have some speed and deform quality improvements but seems dont have what i need.
I want the cage object to deform only underlying part of a deformee without painting custom weight maps.
SI_CD.jpg

Mathaeus

Re: cage deformer

Post by Mathaeus » 26 Sep 2016, 20:22

You can apply SI Cage Deformer to set of points, or point cluster created before. Select point cluster in Explorer, deform by cage, select deformer mesh. While is not good idea to add or remove points from that cluster once Cage Deformer is created, I'm not sure does SI re-initializes that change. Performance depends on falloff distance, smaller falloff = faster (and less smoothed).
If there is some ICE variance, usually a spatial query (raycast, get closest location) is used for defining the reference pose, so influence distance possibly depends of distance falloff. In other word, what you want, should be performed automatically. If not, you can use let's say Raycast node to define the influence.

wesserbro

Re: cage deformer

Post by wesserbro » 26 Sep 2016, 22:31

Actually manual point selection and clusters creation is what i'm trying to avoid. Was hoping to get along without ICE.
Edit: And i also need a smooth transition, while seems like CD does not react to clusters weight map, which i was hoping to generate with ICE as a last option...