Softimage still worth it as Modeling package?

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
panupat

Softimage still worth it as Modeling package?

Post by panupat » 05 Jun 2015, 07:04

Do you think XSI is still worth it to invest in even though Autodesk had killed it? I've been a long time admirer of XSI but sadly never had a chance to play with it. My studio is strictly Maya and I seriously want to move away from it for my personal projects.

I imagine even if 2015 is the last version it will ever release but that should be fine if I use it strictly as a modeling tool right?

I've been trying to hard to make the switch to Modo for years in my attempt to move away from Autodesk, but, something about it just doesn't click with how my brain works. Houdini does feel right for me, but my love is to model cool robots and mechs and not creating dust/fire/water.

Many cool hard surface models seemed to come out of 3DS MAX users but, gawd, no, I don't want to touch that thing.

julius

Re: Softimage still worth it as Modeling package?

Post by julius » 05 Jun 2015, 09:02

I worked as a senior modeler with both Softimage and Maya : in my opinion, Softimage is better by far. Try it and you won't model in maya anymore for your personal projects... I would say more, you won't do anything in maya ! ;)

Rork

Post by Rork » 05 Jun 2015, 11:49

Agreed.

Even in Maya 2016 the modeling tools are still behind SI. Even some of my "die-hard Maya using" friends agree on this ;-)
I dare to say modeling in Softimage is one of the most pleasant among all 3D apps.

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 05 Jun 2015, 12:14

Agree with previous opinions :) While Maya 2016 has more tools than SI, general organization is still nowhere close. Ctrl or Shift just to get the RMB context menu, when you get it, it's top is dispersed around. For many sliders, no way to scroll the value, no even helpers in Max spinner style. On top of everything, construction history should be better called 'construction archeology', you need to have ten years of generalist experience, just to be able to get out something useful.
For hard modeling, using only polygons (unless you're nostalgic to Nurbs from pre-subds age 15 years ago, like me), tools like bevel looks like toy, compared to SI bevel from 2003 or around. Actually I can't understand what on the earth is so great with NEX thing.
Definitively *there is* something wrong with entire community of few hundred of thousands.
Anyway, imho, Maya 2016 is still the best modeling tool in this 'post-apocalyptic' 3d world, when they did what they did with SI.

panupat

Post by panupat » 05 Jun 2015, 12:27

Thank you for the reassurance guy!

Had XSI modeling tool changed much from 2012 to 2015? I should be able to pick up any version to enjoy it's modeling power right?

A little concern - after 2017 what will happen to the existing XSI installation? Will they stop working altogether?

Rork

Post by Rork » 05 Jun 2015, 12:41

No...
Yes...
No....

;-)
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 05 Jun 2015, 14:52

panupat wrote:Do you think XSI is still worth it to invest in even though Autodesk had killed it? I've been a long time admirer of XSI but sadly never had a chance to play with it. My studio is strictly Maya and I seriously want to move away from it for my personal projects.
By the way, if studio is 'strictly Maya', maybe it's better to do not swim against the river, especially in these days. Fighting for cause was easier in days of XSI Foundation and times of Avid as an strong company. Anyway, your choice...

panupat

Post by panupat » 05 Jun 2015, 15:01

hey Math, thanks for chiming in. I'm not looking to go against the tide, I'm merely looking for an alternative to use on my own personal things :)

luceric

Post by luceric » 05 Jun 2015, 15:23

if you just want to model in something else than the big apps, I would recommend Silo. It's very similar to XSI modelling, it even has the supra/sticky keys.

panupat

Post by panupat » 05 Jun 2015, 15:46

thanks Luceric. That's an app I totally forgot about. Interesting it's still having an update... 2.3.1... anyone tried that?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 06 Jun 2015, 01:17

panupat wrote:That's an app I totally forgot about. Interesting it's still having an update... 2.3.1... anyone tried that?
Silo has no operators, has no stack. For some reason, it's popular in Maya community but no one user of Blender, Max or SI will find something really great. Actually 'Silo love' always been a proven method to recognize Mayans. Perhaps it reflects an ugly old school consideration, where modeler is an idiot who don't know and don't need to know for construction history and such things.

Anyway, to take it from positive side, tools and technology in latest Maya are impressive, there are some nice options like tilde key for temporary activation of move tool. But, to get it so so streamlined, I'm afraid this won't go without digging into MELs. Optimist will expect to see the 'focus on modeling' in Maya LT, or an interface option for both, exposed in LT by default. But nothing of that, for now.

panupat

Post by panupat » 06 Jun 2015, 02:00

Would you rate Blender up there near MAX/XSI level? There's also Modo but Foundry has increased price quite a lot.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 06 Jun 2015, 02:13

Blender's view port is weak, compared to SI or Max. If this is not a problem, model is not something huge - imho it's one of nicest mix of easy to use modifier stack, and a lot of 'direct' tools, all of that chosen carefully. Every update (around 3-4 months) has something new when it comes to modeling. It's easy to customize, let's say mentioned RMB for context menu. Modeling is somewhere between Max and SI.

P.S. latest work of Enrico Cerica, legendary 'frontman' of Blender and Octane
Last edited by Mathaeus on 06 Jun 2015, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.

panupat

Post by panupat » 06 Jun 2015, 02:21

Thank you for your insight Mathaeus. Sounds like a good candidate. I'll give it a shot.

Draise

Post by Draise » 06 Jun 2015, 06:37

I have seen some amazing models come out of Blender, and I like how it has a Mudbox/Zbrush workflow built right in there with everything else. I would say, once you push and pull on the interface, pie menu's and hotkeys (and even test out the up and coming sticky keys build) you'll get quite a fun modeler package.

But yes, the viewport is very slow..

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 07 Jun 2015, 23:31

If this means anything, I'm relearning Maya now, version 2016 after a long break. Sure it's modeling capabilities have come a long way but it is quite obvious that they're taking a lot of the good stuff and implementing it into Maya. Even then it's still buggy, and not as robust and flexible as Softimage.

Back in 2009, I remember Maya's modeling capabilities were absolutely horrible! With all the improvements put forth, however, now Maya is officially XSI's retarded little brother. Congrats Autodesk. I'll give you credit for going that far.