Pinching on a SubD model

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
Wooph

Pinching on a SubD model

Post by Wooph » 08 Jan 2014, 02:10

I could use some help on this model that I'm working on. I can't seem to get rid of some noticeable pinching on a problematic area on the model. Any suggestions?
Attachments
pinching1.png
geo.png
geo2.png

Chris_TC

Re: Pinching on a SubD model

Post by Chris_TC » 08 Jan 2014, 10:11

You'll want to add one or more edgeloops close to the hole and tweak it until the surface looks smooth enough.

Edit: Where I drew an intersection of 6 yellow edges, you may instead want to insert two vertices, not one, so that you end up with two intersections of 4 edges.
Attachments
geo.jpg

Wooph

Post by Wooph » 09 Jan 2014, 03:21

Thanks for your input. I've tried your approach, but it ended up causing another problem. The holding edges around the hole would wrap over the creased edges when subdivided.

I ended up doing it another way. It's not perfect, but at least its more of a wobble than sharp pinch.
Attachments
reduced.png
geo.png
geo.png (9.25 KiB) Viewed 1722 times

SpookyMunky

Post by SpookyMunky » 17 Jan 2014, 06:04

I think your poly density is a bit low and non uniform for the shape maybe ?.. I'd lean towards more of this kind of layout (purely density wise hehe)...

Maybe with an extra edge loop around the outside of the hole area, hmm. Getting rid of kinks etc on subd meshes is a bit of a pain but generally I find adding in alot more edge loops helps, aim for squares ;)

Edit: the red line is just showing the path of the kind o polys that you really don't want to see coming out of a 5 poly.... emm.. star ? hehe, I forget the technical term. It's why you are getting the crease though, you need to minimize the damage every time you have 5 polys meeting at one vertice.. its an impossible puzzle, best of luck :)

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 22 Jan 2014, 23:46

$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 03 Feb 2014, 21:58

I've wasted so much time trying to get rid of these artifacts and most of the time succeeded, but in time I figured it for what it is - a time waste.
In 99% of the cases, the small artifacts in the corners and other small areas won't be visible, unless you render out a static high-res picture.
If it's HD resolution at most (let alone an animation), forget about it, just move on to more important things.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides