Questions about curves

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
Pivot_mazyar

Questions about curves

Post by Pivot_mazyar » 21 Jun 2013, 16:25

hi everybody !

1- I have a problem with creating "outline" . I draw a circle or any other shapes , now I want to creat an outline from itself . like following image . I did it in Cinema 4D but i cant do that in Soft Image , Please help me ! Thanks alot !

2- I want to extrude a Rectangle with cap . I did it in Soft Image with " Extrusion align Axis " , when I done , that was without caps . I did it in Cinema 4D Properly . But i want do it In Soft Image .

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Questions about curves

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 Jun 2013, 17:08

edit - This obviously is only an attempt at an answer for the first question:

It's true, Softimage and curves do not necessarily go well together.
You might want to take a look at this addon, keyvisCurveTools, which adds a whole lot of tools to handle (sub)curves in Softimage better and does have an "Offset (Sub)Curves" feature to "draw an outline around selected (Sub)Curves".
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

origin

Post by origin » 21 Jun 2013, 20:55

use Curve To Mesh instead of extrusion along axis

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 22 Jun 2013, 11:56

Hi Pivot_mazyar,
curves and extrusions... the weak spot in Softimage's modeling toolset exactly.

A) as Hirazi said, try my CurveTools addon. After installation, select the curve > Modify > Curve > Offset (Sub)Curves.

Be warned, though: these operators need to rely on clusters, an Softimage has a big flaw in it's SDK regarding topology changes and clusters, so freeze the modeling stack regulary to avoid trouble.
I'm communicating this to the developers regularly, but so far nothing happened. Also, ICE modeling does not support Nurbs curves yet. A somewhat frustrating situation, because curves and extrusions are the bread and butter of any visualization task.

B) to be a bit more precise - in CurvesToMesh you will find an "Extrude" tab.
It's a pretty powerful operator actually, especially the tesselation features. Delaunay for example... clever algorithm, well implemented.
The one thing missing: automatic UV generation. Don't ask me why ExtrusionAlongAxis has it and CurvesToMesh not.

Best,
Eugen

Pivot_mazyar

Post by Pivot_mazyar » 22 Jun 2013, 17:40

Special Thanks to all ! ( Hizari , Origin , Eugen )
But the link of "Curve tool " does not work Properly , redirected me to an scripted (XML) page .
Ah ! Im a Bad Boy ! ( because Im talktive and asking , asking , asking ) please forgive me !!!!! :-
I use the " Smoothing " and " Relax " tools for Smoothing and rounding Meshs , But it works completly different in compare of 3dsmax , Maya and . . .
In maya we have soft NURBS . Is there any component expect " Smoothing " and " Relax " for smoothing ?
Be warned, though: these operators need to rely on clusters, an Softimage has a big flaw in it's SDK regarding topology changes and clusters, so freeze the modeling stack regulary to avoid trouble.
I'm communicating this to the developers regularly, but so far nothing happened. Also, ICE modeling does not support Nurbs curves yet. A somewhat frustrating situation, because curves and extrusions are the bread and butter of any visualization task.

I dont Know what is " Cluster " !!!! where can I learn about it ? ( web Link )

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 22 Jun 2013, 18:56

http://www.keyvis.at/cg-tools/tools-for-softimage/curve-tools/
The download link works. RMB > Save linked content...

You can check the Softimage help for what clusters are.
In short: they are a special kind of group/collection of geometry components (points, edges, polygons, subcurves, subsurfaces, knots, isopoints even, ... ) which lift those components in the rank of an object.
You can assign a material to a polygon cluster, for example, and it will override the object's material on those polygons.

Also, operators that work on a selection of components need to create a cluster of those components first, then link their input to them.
For example, my DeleteSubcurves operator has to create a subcurve cluster first, then does something based on it.

Factory geometry operators do so as well, but it is worth mentioning, that they can utilize "internal" = hidden clusters. You won't see them in the explorer, but they are there. (check an operator, e.g. "DeleteComponentOp" with the SDK explorer for proof).
Custom operators always have to use "normal" clusters, though.

Now here's the drawback: if there are some clusters on an object already, and some custom operator changes the topology (= number of components change), the "old" clusters should get their component index list updated, but they don't. This is nasty, because it can lead to a messed up operator graph after a while.
Internally, this update mechanism is in place and working well, but it is not exposed in the SDK, so 3rd party devs are left in the rain.
I recommend working in immediate mode with curves therefore. Of course this thwarts the whole idea of non-linear modeling/editing.

If you think you can circumvent the problem with ICE... it does not handle cluster either, and there's no node for writing Nurbs curve/surface topology data yet. This missing topo nodes cannot be written with the ICE SDK, also.

If you ever meet a Softimage developer on the street, give him a kick from me for neglecting this issues... ; p

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 Jun 2013, 19:05

Try right-clicking on the download link and "Save as" (or something similar). This should leave you with a file named "keyvisCurveTools v1.4.xsiaddon", which is indeed a XML-file, but one Softimage knows how to deal with.
Go to " File > Add-Ons > Install", browse to the xsiaddon file and the rest should be easy. See this page for more info on the options you might encounter while installing.

This page should give you a good start on the topic of clusters...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Pivot_mazyar

Post by Pivot_mazyar » 24 Jun 2013, 10:32

THANKS a LOT !
why softimage is more powerful than 3dsmax and maya ? is that true realy? which one of features is so cool that some professional users using it ?