Simple tests

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to the Fabric Engine
User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1747
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Simple tests

Post by Mathaeus » 24 Jan 2016, 01:27

Hello

Just wanted to share some of simple translations from ICE to Fabric Canvas, I'm doing these days. Purpose is to get familiar, also to see, to which level is possible to use only built - in nodes.
This one is sort of bend deformer. "Sort of", as real bend op needs much more nodes to be usable, things like option for center of rotation and axis, uniform rotation instead of plain modulating by position, so on. Let's say , what it does is: if Z of XYZ point position is greater than zero, points are rotated around X axis, while angle of rotation is modulated by Z of point position.
As it is noticeable, structure is similar, while Canvas has some additional nodes. Here is short ICE - FE translation - I need to say that I've found these equivalents in 'intuitive' :) way, just by looking at examples and bit of trial and error, so any suggestion for improvement, or correction, is welcome.


LoadObj: I've used Canvas standalone - this is obj file loader.
Clone Polygon Mesh: from my understanding, this makes a 'local' copy of mesh, for use by FE.
Get All Point Positions: this is close to ICE Get Point Position - while FE node returns an array. There's [] after 'result'. [] thing means: array. Once something is array, it should be combined only with another array. That's reason to use 'fill []' node, to convert one constant value into array - 'fill' FE node seems to be close to ICE 'Build Array From Constant".
Rest of nodes: 'Ge' stands for 'greater or equal". Node that defines the input angle (first 'float32' looking from left) is divided by 180/Pi to get degree converted to radians. "Size []" is ICE 'Get Array Size'. 'Recompute Normals' at the end is for proper point normal, once mesh is deformed.

And that's it, for now. Hope I'll put some more. Used FE 2.01, a lot of times used Tab key for calling the search.

Image

anhungxadieu
Posts: 175
Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 10:39
Skype: nguyenvuducthuy

Re: Simple tests

Post by anhungxadieu » 24 Jan 2016, 04:38

hi Mathaues,
nice to know you are doing some stuff in FE, Are you already touch some node relate to location .. ect like get closest location inside ice.
i like to create this kind of deform like you already done before in this threat in FE
http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... f=19&t=996
i already asked this question to FE forum but still not get a proper answer yet.I think which is good to ask origin creator :ymblushing:
thank for your attention!

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1747
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Simple tests

Post by Mathaeus » 24 Jan 2016, 20:00

anhungxadieu wrote:hi Mathaues,
nice to know you are doing some stuff in FE, Are you already touch some node relate to location .. ect like get closest location inside ice.
i like to create this kind of deform like you already done before in this threat in FE
http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... f=19&t=996
i already asked this question to FE forum but still not get a proper answer yet.I think which is good to ask origin creator :ymblushing:
thank for your attention!
Could be wrong, but, don't see a way to get this, out of a few built - in nodes. Got something by modifying the code of 'wrap' node from 'shrink wrap' example, mentioned in answer on FE forum. But, now I really need to go deeper, as concept of location in FE seems to be composed of smaller pieces than in ICE, which is generally nice because it should allow to get the finer and faster solutions, but, well, laboratory rat (that is, me) will need a few turns more through labyrinth, this time. Not that much to find in docs, for now.
Good news is that Canvas standalone allows copying nodes in between opened files.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2458
Joined: 24 May 2012, 09:44

Re: Simple tests

Post by Bullit » 24 Jan 2016, 22:20

Good news is that Canvas standalone allows copying nodes in between opened files.
Very good like Soft.

anhungxadieu
Posts: 175
Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 10:39
Skype: nguyenvuducthuy

Re: Simple tests

Post by anhungxadieu » 25 Jan 2016, 03:11

Mathaeus wrote: Could be wrong, but, don't see a way to get this, out of a few built - in nodes. Got something by modifying the code of 'wrap' node from 'shrink wrap' example, mentioned in answer on FE forum. But, now I really need to go deeper, as concept of location in FE seems to be composed of smaller pieces than in ICE, which is generally nice because it should allow to get the finer and faster solutions, but, well, laboratory rat (that is, me) will need a few turns more through labyrinth, this time. Not that much to find in docs, for now.
Good news is that Canvas standalone allows copying nodes in between opened files.
well ... :(
i also try some too but still messy with name of node, simple ik setup :ymblushing:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1747
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Simple tests

Post by Mathaeus » 25 Jan 2016, 11:44

anhungxadieu wrote: well ... :(
i also try some too but still messy with name of node, simple ik setup :ymblushing:
Regarding names of nodes, I think it's pretty much standard naming, no big deal to find from where it's coming, with a bit of googling.

About 'deform by uv', or exactly, ICE style swap of taking the saved attribute from deformed geometry, or, re interpreting the location to new geometry. I'm also very interested how does it works in FE. Will see if I'll be able to find some close equivalent. If not, I'll go with 'documented case' :) on FE forum - while I still believe I'll find something, without asking around.

anhungxadieu
Posts: 175
Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 10:39
Skype: nguyenvuducthuy

Re: Simple tests

Post by anhungxadieu » 25 Jan 2016, 14:55

oh good!
hope to see how xsi user use FE!

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1747
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Simple tests

Post by Mathaeus » 26 Jan 2016, 00:34

Ok got 'deform by uv' thing, using latest build of FE, which deals with geometry attributes in a way similar to ICE. Also has this nice arrayed raycast preset. However this one is equivalent of ICE's 'reinterpret geometry to new location', instead of 'swap' of custom attributes in mentioned ICE compound. Because FE can fully operate on multiple objects in one tree, 're interpret' seems to be more a matter of node connections. One question answered, many others opened, well that's how it's going.
By the way there are instructions on FE forums, where to get FE latest build, so no need to ask here, just to say in advance.

Image

anhungxadieu
Posts: 175
Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 10:39
Skype: nguyenvuducthuy

Re: Simple tests

Post by anhungxadieu » 26 Jan 2016, 02:14

Mathaeus wrote: Ok got 'deform by uv' thing, using latest build of FE, which deals with geometry attributes in a way similar to ICE. Also has this nice arrayed raycast preset. However this one is equivalent of ICE's 'reinterpret geometry to new location', instead of 'swap' of custom attributes in mentioned ICE compound. Because FE can fully operate on multiple objects in one tree, 're interpret' seems to be more a matter of node connections. One question answered, many others opened, well that's how it's going.
By the way there are instructions on FE forums, where to get FE latest build, so no need to ask here, just to say in advance.
well, nice post here Anto! :ymapplause:
i got it! the way xsi user use FE make it become easier to understand
thanks for your screenshot! :ymblushing:

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1747
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Simple tests

Post by Mathaeus » 26 Jan 2016, 10:53

I think I still need to checkout some other options, also, how to properly use cache node (have to admit that I don't watching video tutorials :) ) - so please take this screenshot just as a first successful trial. Anyway it seems that entire my "introduction'' is nicely progressing, for now.

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 01:41

Re: Simple tests

Post by EricTRocks » 26 Jan 2016, 21:47

@Mathaeus: Please share your UV deformer on the Fabric forums! Great to see and other will be interested too! Great work.

http://http://forums.fabricengine.com/
Last edited by Bullit on 28 Jan 2016, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bullit: added url tag to the link.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1747
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Simple tests

Post by Mathaeus » 28 Jan 2016, 10:21

Thank you Eric. Of course I'll show it on FE forums, together with few beginner questions :). Beside this thing - as usually I'm focused more on final deformation, while 'deform by UV' option is one of components. Hope there will be more to show in near future.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1747
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Simple tests

Post by Mathaeus » 31 Jan 2016, 22:18

Ok just to finish the 'deform by uv' story in FE. Thing in pic seems to be workable 'core' of ICE compound. By the way, searched the internet for similar solutions in other 3d apps. Without surprise, strongest 'mutation' of method, most likely belongs to commercial 3ds Max plugin called AutoModeller pro - while they added painting of instances, automatic cuts at borders, who knows what else. Competition level is high, these days...
Back to topic, hope the next theme will be something related to Alembic IO presets, added to latest FE daily builds.

Image

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2458
Joined: 24 May 2012, 09:44

Re: Simple tests

Post by Bullit » 01 Feb 2016, 00:31


User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1747
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Simple tests

Post by Mathaeus » 01 Feb 2016, 01:25

Actually it could be done with anything able to put mesh into uv projection and deform the another mesh by this. It was an old Max tutorial with chain mail, or like, where guy used custom script and Max Skin Wrap, I think. In SI before ICE, this could be some script plus Cage deformer. Just wanted to see to which level this method is pushed in other 3d apps.

anhungxadieu
Posts: 175
Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 10:39
Skype: nguyenvuducthuy

Re: Simple tests

Post by anhungxadieu » 01 Feb 2016, 02:44

i still not test it in max, but i like Anto way and how it's already work in softimage ice in term of performance and flexible anyway i got it worked here, regarding Anto's screen grab it will good if you note some comment ;) , in "get closest[]" change scale [1,1,1], also modify a "maxUnscaledDistance". i got it work with ice before and i also use group of "deform mesh" instead one .. My idea is group of deform mesh and deform mesh also stick into reference mesh when it move.

just like you say one question answer another will go after .. :ymblushing:

i don't know what it's using for because when i remove it the result isn't change
2016-02-01 at 09-32-45.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.