Transition choice

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to Cinema 4D
pluMmet

Transition choice

Post by pluMmet » 21 Sep 2014, 12:21

After a load of research and soul searching I have landed happily in the C4D camp myself.

I can see by the amount of activity in this section that others are leaning this way as well so perhaps I made a normal and natural choice.

I miss I.C.E. but I can account for all my needs very well with C4D.

I've decided to go with Octane Render for the speed I can get with GPU rendering supplemented with Arnold to get the organic render elements a.k.a. Skin/hair/character elements.

Also going over to DaVinci Resolve for my post render needs.

Sticking with Mudbox as my only AD product. I just remember that it's simply an acquisition they made :P

This seems the tightest pipe line that I can get.

Bullit

Re: Transition choice

Post by Bullit » 21 Sep 2014, 13:56

I am leaning into Cinema to, i am testing it but i will only decide in 1-2 years depending on evolution.

Maybe you can help some of my small struggles:

How to have a starting scene default to 25fps?

The thing that irks me more about Cinema 4D is their conversion from parametric to polygon and their per-historic polygon/point deleting.

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 21 Sep 2014, 14:07

Bullit wrote:I am leaning into Cinema to, i am testing it but i will only decide in 1-2 years depending on evolution.

Maybe you can help some of my small struggles:

How to have a starting scene default to 25fps?

The thing that irks me more about Cinema 4D is their conversion from parametric to polygon and their per-historic polygon/point deleting.
Point deleting seems to benefit modeling very much as far as I can tell. It is not an issue that I see anyway. perhaps an example?

fps can be addressed here

Saving project settings

And the pee's of resistance
http://www.matt-pearson.net/free-custom ... ace-setup/

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 21 Sep 2014, 17:27

Thanks, for the links, But this should be something obvious, not something that needs a tut.
The tutorial frame rates doesn't adress my issue, it is changing the default i am asking.

In Cinema when you delete a polygon the points remain. It is also obtuse to have to connect a mesh primitive to weld the points since after converting from parametric to polygon.

In Softimage all this is straightforward.

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 21 Sep 2014, 18:05

Bullit wrote:Thanks, for the links, But this should be something obvious, not something that needs a tut.
The tutorial frame rates doesn't adress my issue, it is changing the default i am asking.

In Cinema when you delete a polygon the points remain. It is also obtuse to have to connect a mesh primitive to weld the points since after converting from parametric to polygon.

In Softimage all this is straightforward.
The answer for the fps is there... There is no such thing as "obvious". Sorry but true.

I did not know that a pickle was a cucumber soaked in vinegar until I was in my 30's... I thought that they squeezed "pickles" what ever they are then placed other pickles in that juice and "pickling" something meant soaking it in that same pickle juice.

Granted things start to click when you become used to a system and you can see how things are being put together than being able to predict other things.

You plan on spending 2 years learning C4D? I plan on spending 4 or 5 weeks watching every tutorial I can get my hands on :)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 21 Sep 2014, 22:06

The answer for the fps is there... There is no such thing as "obvious".
Default FPS? when i load a new scene is already with 25 fps, the resolution i want, sorry but i listened to it and i didn't see a way to set it up.

The obvious thing was obviously :)) :D setting it up in "Preferences". I want all my scenes start with HD 720p 25 fps.

I'll will keep track of it and learn my way around it, but i don't want to change to other software now . I'll also check more seriously Blender. It has now HDR Labs sIBL's that is something that i like to use.

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 21 Sep 2014, 23:14

Make any change you wish then save as template.c4d in the root folder.

O:-)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 22 Sep 2014, 00:09

Thanks. I was about to try new like in this video. Btw thanks for the link to that site, very helpful.

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 28 Sep 2014, 12:50

Got lucky with a Substance Painter license being on sale on the Steam Market. If Akeytsu does a perpetual license I'll be back in total pre si cancellation bliss O:-)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 28 Sep 2014, 16:35

Btw it should not be template.c4d . If you do that when you open a new scene inside cinema it starts with old configuration.

The file should be called new.c4d

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Sep 2014, 16:37

pluMmet wrote:If Akeytsu does a perpetual license
Is there any indication they are actually planning perpetual licenses or is this "wishful thinking"?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 28 Sep 2014, 16:58

They did finally email me back about a week ago just to say they are still looking into if they will or not.

I cant hurt for everyone here to make the same request :)

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 28 Sep 2014, 16:59

Bullit wrote:Btw it should not be template.c4d . If you do that when you open a new scene inside cinema it starts with old configuration.

The file should be called new.c4d

thx :ymcowboy: