Very cool animation series in Blender

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to Blender
MauricioPC

Very cool animation series in Blender

Post by MauricioPC » 26 Jan 2015, 13:01

Cool trailer for a TV Animated Series about a little girl and her trainer. All done in Blender. I'm pretty impressed, given the guys at the studio (who did the animation) said that they think Blender as a real alternative to Maya.

Trailer:

Some more info:
http://www.blendernation.com/2015/01/22/vlad-louise/
We decided to give Blender a try two years ago, after assisting to a conference of Daniel Martinez Lara from Pepe School in Barcelona. Daniel is now a friend, he teaches animation using Blender, and he told us the software was getting really cool. Usually we use Maya, but we had a look at Blender and saw there were a lot of good and new things, and that the software was a real alternative to Maya, specially with the new Cycles.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Very cool animation series in Blender

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Jan 2015, 18:36

That's a well-crafted, highly entertaining trailer indeed.
But Blender should seriously aim higher than Maya, I'm afraid...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

talent103

Post by talent103 » 26 Jan 2015, 18:47

Very nice. I have never used Blender. What did they use to render? Do they have a good render pass system? How are the modeling tools?

Draise

Post by Draise » 27 Jan 2015, 04:52

I just saw this floating around the Facebook feed, I was very impressed! Beautiful animation work. They probably used Cycles, the internal CPU/GPU renderengine bundled with Blender.

But yeah, I do agree, they should aim higher than Maya.

EDIT: and just personal review, the modeling tools are exceptional, with many addons out there that will suffice. It also has sculpting Mudbox style, with multires SDS sculpts - also Sculptris style dynamic sculpt.

And concerning passes.... nothing like SI... but it does have a good AOV export system, and an ok Layers system.

I don't know it well, but just from what I know.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 27 Jan 2015, 12:42

From what I read, they render with Cycles (Blender render).

I'll take advantage of the Digital Tutors three free days and see their intro to modeling in Blender.

I do understand that they should aim higher than Maya, but given that Maya is 90% of the animation market, it makes sense the comparison. I have been talking to some people that I known on facebook about the CG market in Europe and all I hear is learn Maya Maya Maya. It's like Maya 70% and the rest. :/

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 27 Jan 2015, 14:16

I'm slightly put off by those animation curves. All that orange is incredibly hard to read. Is that the only colour available for selection? Could handles be different to keys?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 27 Jan 2015, 14:19

MauricioPC wrote:I do understand that they should aim higher than Maya, but given that Maya is 90% of the animation market, it makes sense the comparison. I have been talking to some people that I known on facebook about the CG market in Europe and all I hear is learn Maya Maya Maya. It's like Maya 70% and the rest. :/
When it comes to professional market share, aiming for the position Maya holds, is a good thing, albeit a rather futile one,
when it comes to the way the software works, Maya - very set in its ways, to put it mildly -
wouldn't seem something Blender should aspire to IMHO.
:-s
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 27 Jan 2015, 14:35

Agreed Hirazi.

It would also be helpful if there was animation courses in other software than Maya. It's a vicious circle and the measure of comparison for most animators is Maya. :/

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 27 Jan 2015, 15:28

mattmos wrote:I'm slightly put off by those animation curves. All that orange is incredibly hard to read. Is that the only colour available for selection? Could handles be different to keys?
Yeah it's possible to change all mentioned, including the size of handles. It's possible to customize keys too, perhaps more than in other apps - no big deal to assign different keys to vertical or horizontal move, in graph editor (that's AE in Blender). If I'm correct, only color, (still) not possible to customize in Blender graph editor, it's the way how "preview range" is darker than its background.
However, some sort of general look and feel, after-nuclear-war or like, this part is not possible to avoid when it comes to Blender interface. On flip side, if you are adapted well to Blender, you won't bother anymore, at some point :).

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 29 Jan 2015, 13:46

Great to know its customisable, thanks for the info!

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 29 Jan 2015, 20:23

There's some interesting animation training in Blender Cookie. It seems that aside from Maya, Blender is the only one producing good (appears to be) animation training.

http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-courses ... n-blender/

http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-courses/piero/

http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-courses ... n-toolkit/