Mental Gymnastic in H

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to Houdini
NNois

Mental Gymnastic in H

Post by NNois » 23 Aug 2017, 12:05

Hi,
How do you guys deal with nearly all of the Houdini toolset names differs from XSI ?!?

I mean, starting from the simple Cylindre to... Tube, passing from Bulge to ... peak, f*ck ! the name are not so explicit...
fortunately they are doing something for that, the boolean tool isn't named cookie anymore ;-)

owei
Administrator

Re: Mental Gymnastic in H

Post by owei » 23 Aug 2017, 12:12

Hey.:!

Yes, the naming of things in Houdini is really, really a pain in the ass! They try to make it better, sure. That´s one of the reasons, its so hard to pick it up on your own. My way was to watch as many tuts as I could before even starting to build my own stuff. That really helps to get the overview and some hints where to find stuff and how it is named..
make some notes while you watch them, that helped me a lot ;)

cheers,
oli

NNois

Post by NNois » 23 Aug 2017, 15:24

Well I already did this tutorial job some times ago. Now After some years I'm fairly fluent with houdini but still... I would love some menus or Shelf sorted just like Softimage.. with no icons !

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 23 Aug 2017, 15:33

...yes same here, also with the overkill of icons, I don´t like that, too. I hide them most of the time. It should be possible to sort them somehow and bring them into some better order..somehow, diving into H´s UI stuff..but no time yet ;)
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/basics/config_menus