Modelling tools in Houdini

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to Houdini
owei
Administrator

Modelling tools in Houdini

Post by owei » 10 Feb 2017, 12:17

Hey there!
I just started to collect some videos, which makes it easier to see what is already working in Houdini. Feel free to add the videos you like concerning (none procedural, more classical) modelling!

rray

Re: Modelling tools in Houdini

Post by rray » 10 Feb 2017, 17:52

Nice! Very convenient. There are some big advancements that they show with every release.

For the new version, the new booleans and also this one (poly capping) is great:

Here's a random list of Softimage modeling things in that I absolutely couldn't miss:
* non sticky tools.. hotkey to activate, release to deactivate
* proportional range and bias visualized on the mesh while hovering with a tool active
* propotional range's limit (border to 0 influence) also clearly visible on the mesh
* ability to use the mouse wheel to modify proportional range and bias DURING interaction with the tools
* screen space proportional tool
* option to have points and edges *almost* invisible to better see the polygon object's shape
* automatic shortest path finding for component selection when clicking alt
* all tools interpolating UVs
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

NNois

Post by NNois » 13 Feb 2017, 15:39

Hi,
I couldn't agree more if modeling is important ;-)
Just curious by "* all tools interpolating UVs" what tool exactly doesn't interpolate attributes ? I found houdini very good for this.

rray

Post by rray » 13 Feb 2017, 18:40

Hi NNois - it is just a list of Softimage things I couldn't do without - don't know Houdini enough yet to tell if they are missing on that side. Good to hear this one doesn't.

Some more while at it =p~
* Viewport level object and polygon isolation with hotkey
* frame selected components function
* customizable viewport navigation .. (default alt key is too far on the left to be used as the tumble hotkey for me)
* very fast raycast component selections
* "generic" command. For example "duplicate" which works for polygons, edges, points, groups, objects, doing very different things for each, that makes 1 hotkey for all of them :)
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 13 Feb 2017, 23:26

rray wrote: don't know Houdini enough yet to tell if they are missing on that side. Good to hear this one doesn't.
Yeah, for example, if there's custom vector attribute saved on points, Resample SOP properly interpolates that attribute too, and offers to save a few 'usual' attributes, like tangent, distance to next point and such.

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 14 Feb 2017, 13:12

Hey guys!
This threat was not meant as a wishlist. More like, if there is a modelling feature in Houdini, that seems similar to common workflows (not that procedural) one could post it here or, even better, do a little video, if there is nothing to find in the net.
For those suggestions/wishes already made, I guess, one could find out and post the answer here ;)

Thanks!
cheers,
oli

jonmoore

Post by jonmoore » 15 Feb 2017, 17:40

owei wrote:Hey guys!
This threat was not meant as a wishlist. More like, if there is a modelling feature in Houdini, that seems similar to common workflows (not that procedural) one could post it here or, even better, do a little video, if there is nothing to find in the net.
For those suggestions/wishes already made, I guess, one could find out and post the answer here ;)

Thanks!
cheers,
oli
Great idea for a thread.

When H16 is out I'll add a few of my own. I'm doing a set of videos for the Modo beta group anyway so happy to share them here too.

nisachar

Post by nisachar » 28 Feb 2017, 02:50

Here are a few I found useful while fiddling or asking around.. Well you can't really avoid procedural with Houdini and that is the point of using the software anyway.

1 - press the ' key ( or right click over the manipulator and untick attach to geometry ) to detach the transform gizmos from the selection and with snapping and orient functions on, the transform handles behave like Maya's 'D'Key or 'middle mouse button to relocate manipulator'.

2 - Depending on the task or your preferences, set the default object creation context to 'çreate in context' in preferences>objects and geometry to create new geometry inside the existing geo's node network, instead of creatng a new GEO node and diving in. Houdini already puts you inside the Geo node.

3 - Edit Sop : You all may already know these options but you can set Symmetry ( mirror ), Local, slide on surface, transform along normals ( peak option or press the 'H' while components are selected ) etc. A bit clicky but it's there.

4. The new radial menus in v16 make it so much better to do some work right from the viewport itself.

5. The new booleans are fantastic.

6. Houdini seems to have a preference for the middle mouse button. Not sure this is a tip, but try pressing it or scrolling the wheel, when the left or right clicks don't do as you expect when trying out new things. ~x(
Last edited by nisachar on 02 Mar 2017, 04:51, edited 1 time in total.

nisachar

Post by nisachar » 28 Feb 2017, 03:30

@rray

customizable viewport navigation .. (default alt key is too far on the left to be used as the tumble hotkey for me)

Just press escape. Houdini defaults to keyless pan, zoom and rotate with the mouse buttons.

“option to have points and edges *almost* invisible to better see the polygon object's shape “

Press D in the viewport and adjust options in the effects tab for default shading colors etc ) and in Geometry for wireframe options. For further modifications to colors, change settings in the 3DSceneColors.xx files ( via text editor ) found in Houdini/configs folder.

“automatic shortest path finding for component selection when clicking alt”

Default is “Ä”

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 28 Feb 2017, 20:36

Thanks for sharing the videos! I have to say, and I only looked at a couple of these videos and not tried Houdini yet myself, but if you are a modeler, there really is no reason not to try Houdini. I had no idea that the modeling was this far along, and the fundamentals seem to be there. If you are looking for a "make window" button, different story. From what I see here, it looks like Houdini is good-to-go for modeling. (albeit some of the hotkey settings I think should be different.)

I am definitely going to have to give Houdini 16 a try and see if I should switch focus to that.

NNois

Post by NNois » 01 Mar 2017, 00:07

nisachar wrote:... For further modifications to colors, change settings in the 3DSceneColors.xx files ( via text editor ) ...
There's a python UI tool available in the docs for that ;-)