Biosuit WIP

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to Houdini
Daniel Brassard

Re: Biosuit WIP

Post by Daniel Brassard » 13 Jul 2017, 20:24

A few more for yours to experiment with.
Attachments
drow_armored_mask_by_sharpener.jpg
drow_armored_mask_by_sharpener.jpg (13.09 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
Tron_helmet.jpg
Tron_helmet.jpg (5.86 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
Pacific_Rim_helmet.jpg
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 14 Jul 2017, 12:09

Daniel Brassard wrote:Hi Mathaeus,

Have you considered changing the helmet designs to be in line with the organic biosuit? The current design is acting like a magnifying lense, increasing the head size of the character and IMHO not fitting with the rest of the biosuit design.

Thank you kindly for focusing on ''real" questions :). Also for making clear what I should write together with pics, one day when I'll consider them finished.

Design is a mix of purely visual needs and (my) possibilities, and inspirations from all around. "Biosuit" here stands for ''tight'', not really ''alive'' or ''biological''. So, loosely along line of MIT's bio suit. While stripes and harness system here, theoretically is acting like some sort of elastic exoskeleton, or something like.

Regarding helmet, generally wanted a huge, fixed one (fixed = does not move together with head). There's strong visual reason, to be able to show entire head and of course some hairdo (from what I've read, there's similar reason for huge helmet in Martian movie, they just wanted to show actor's face, as much). However I'm planning to add some mechanisms for eating, drinking, hair styling and such, inside helmet. That should allow to put some googles or such on head, too, in case I'll want to de-personalize the characters. Also, such mechanism should give a smoother visual transition between suit and helmet.
One special reason for this kind of helmet, it was that I wasn't sure how hairs will render bellow transparent surface, so it was option to just remove the helmet. Hopefully this works, well as long as plain transparency/opacity is used.

Regrading inspirations, as usually I'm looking for scfi and general designs before 70's, imho there is no that much that happened after. Somehow, here design started from Planeta Bur movie and unbelievable talent of authors to find a sweet spot between practical and aesthetic (that small flying car thing imho is still unmatched) - many years later, same helmet design appeared in Prometeus movies, imho simply because there is not better and is still logical design (logical= ability to open the front side of helmet).

About references you posted, Faora's mask is really great and really really innovative, but it seems they lost inspiration with rest of suit, falling into stereotypes like scratched steel. About others.... I'm really really not a fan of imho, ''exaggerations, modern for one or two years'', like ''helmet-design-futuristic.jpg'' wavy thing, also I'm not not a fan of booleans all around.
Shape has to serve functionality, that's it. In other word, let's take cars as example, Porshe 911 or Citroen DS are designs forever. Functional, elegant, simple and provocative in same time. I'm also a fan of NASA ''Z" ''bubble'' suit design, while I think they can go further with this, design wise.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 15 Jul 2017, 03:04

z bubble suit 0o i tottaly forgot about this one
Im not so exited about entering from the back instead of wearing it (as a standard for all kinds of future suits) maybe for space suits that is ok( or im just saying this because i never been through the strugle of wearing one normal suit ;p). I maybe like too much the Iron man way of entering in a suit heh. But what i surelly like is the design for the helm/glass embeded to the neck/shoulders, it looks advanced and practical.

If i was trying to design a spin off of that design ment for lets say Mars terraform,, i would try to make the glass cover move along with the head (more freelly), i would bring all the suit more close to the body (like in your design), and i could possiblty throw some augmented reality ui in the mix. In general terraform suits can be potentionaly much more flexible than space walk suits. Im just commenting on zbubble you know that i alrdy like your design . I think with some color stripes it will look awesome.

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 17 Jul 2017, 16:48

@Mathaeus

Thanks for the insight about the suit and your inspiration behind the choice of the helmet. I did understand that you wanted to show the full head and hair and why you chose the all glass helmet. Looking forward to see where you are going to push this designs.

Cheers!
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 08 Aug 2017, 03:54

Thank you guys

Important things first... Just found an answer to question that bothered me for decades :), how do astronauts scratch their nose in their spacesuits. I'd take it as a yet another reason for huge and fixed helmet.

Here are new renders, let's say some of finals. From technical side, it went just fine, been able to fit all that crap into my 16 gigs of memory, actually it was always below 10 gigs. Mantra rendering is separate process, which means, when rendering single still picture to MPlay, once MPlay window is launched, Houdini could be closed, leaving more memory for Mantra. ip/MPlay option is one that displays the pic as it renders, giving a nice visual experience, also around half of hour for fighting on internet forums and such activities.

As usually, added a lot of point-sand-dust rendering, around 40 Mio of points at all. Probably will try to render one pic where everything is covered by sand. Houdini Scatter SOP evaluates fine, as long as it is left to evaluate it's SIMD story alone, without any 'post process' after, that means without relaxing too. That is, all attributes including 'width' (that's point radius or curve thickness in H) have to be set on emitter, before Scatter SOP. This disables the total per-point 'individualizing', however from my experiments, these small differences are almost invisible with such huge counts.