What are your thoughts about Houdini?

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to Houdini
FXDude

Re: What are your thoughts about Houdini?

Post by FXDude » 12 May 2016, 20:30

I see Houdini like for more complex (and dynamic) centerpiece elements.

But I don't think it will ever become an ideal general purpose DCC by itself. (or maybe someday)

Werner

Post by Werner » 12 May 2016, 20:36

Why do you think so? That is exactly what we are currently using it for. Everything we used to do in Softimage now gets done
in Houdini. :-o

We mainly do character animation driven commercials.

http://www.luma.co.za

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 12 May 2016, 20:54

I personally feel that it's flexibility which makes it one of most (uhm...) flexible for anything with logic going on (without working with a text editor), is also what makes it the most difficult to work with for 'regular' things (often 90%+ of things in scenes)

And despite some varying recent directions, most of everything seems to be centered around making those special center pieces where it seems to be mostly good at.

But I don't discount the possibility of surprises at some point *-:)

NNois

Post by NNois » 12 May 2016, 21:29

julca wrote: @McNistor,
When I have go on Houdini at the beginning I would be happy to see your involvement and I must tell you that it motivated me to go further with this software.
So I'm inevitably a little sad to see your reaction today.
Know that I totally understand that after much effort you are naturally a less patient and a little angry.
Perhaps I would have same reaction in two years..
You also may know that I submit some RFE but I do not know what will be the impact.

The fact is that today, even if I spend time on Houdini, I still make my projects in Softimage until I find the/my good horse (I remain hopeful).
I think that's not over for him, he just replied and argued perfectly on a thread i open there today about animating in Houdini. But i understand, Houdini is not really for modeling characters, but the rest is very cool.

By the way i was fucking amazed that a dev himself replied on that post and more importantly positively !

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 12 May 2016, 21:47

So how you guys characterize animating in Houdini? Crazy, good, on par with Softimage? Worst?

Edit:

Are these two commercials done in Houdini? Houdini or not, VERY impressive stuff! Congrats to you and the team.

julca

Post by julca » 13 May 2016, 11:41

NNois wrote:I think that's not over for him, he just replied and argued perfectly on a thread i open there today about animating in Houdini. But i understand, Houdini is not really for modeling characters, but the rest is very cool.

By the way i was fucking amazed that a dev himself replied on that post and more importantly positively !
Thanks for the info I'm glad to hear that, and as I see on your thread (on sidefx) developper are already aware on part of what you explain/request and for the rest ask you to make RFE, so I just can be positive with this :) !
And by the way, I'm more a 3D generalist with technical skills than a pur dev guy.

NNois

Post by NNois » 13 May 2016, 13:42

A great idea to improve a software with actual production need tools is just... producing with it and figure what's needed.
That's actually what they did with http://www.outside-movie.com/ i think ;-)
Last edited by NNois on 13 May 2016, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 13 May 2016, 14:20

That's so cool NNois!

Can you share with us more in-depth into the production? Congrats! :)

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 13 May 2016, 20:13

Excellent animation! Everything was really nicely done! Mantra looks like a great render engine too.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 13 May 2016, 20:19

Indeed, & this collaboration will also surely help Houdini *-:)