Exporting Houdini hair styles to SI or Maya

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to Houdini
Pancho

Exporting Houdini hair styles to SI or Maya

Post by Pancho » 23 Jun 2015, 17:47

Since I got Houdini and want to test its hair styling tools: Is it possible to export the hair guides to SI or Maya? Then pimp the whole thing with ICE strands?

I guess in H it's curves you are workinmg with. No idea whether one can import export them. Modo might also be worth a try.

Anybody any experiences?

Cheers
Thomas

Mathaeus

Re: Exporting Houdini hair styles to SI or Maya

Post by Mathaeus » 23 Jun 2015, 19:50

Regarding SI or Maya, you can export Nurbs curves (or nurbs surfaces, too), via Iges format. Just be sure you really have a Nurbs curve(s) and only that - MMB over SOP node tells what you have bellow mouse. If curves are not nurbs, convert them to Nurbs, using 'Convert' SOP. After that, 'file' SOP, in 'write files' mode - you have to manually write the extension, like 'my_file.iges'.

For Modo, it seems only points are part of curve that transfers (va obj format). Maybe it's possible to re-construct curves, using script, already flowing around (don't know name). Or, by some another format.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 23 Jun 2015, 19:55

Cool! Thanks, Mathaeus!

Since you really spend a lot of time with hair, what do you consider momentarily to be the most efficient workflow/tool? For styling and rendering? I'm really into Redshift, so I might be a bit limited in my choices.

Cheers
Thomas

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 23 Jun 2015, 21:33

Best tool is what someone considers as best tool. To avoid long comparisons - for ICE addicts, there's fact that Houdini is developed, and developers were ready to add a long list of improvements in v14 (that's what I'm able to compare, 13 vs 14). Also everything is "ICE" in H, so, more of possible combinations to make something good, or to step in a hole.
Afaik, of the shelf 'add fur' copy the line primitive (that is, creates curves) on points of emitter. That's guide layer. Later, there's hair filler, called Fur SOP. After that, there's set of geometry and material shaders to create the rendering geometry. One of those geo shaders is Mantra Fur Procedural, which is also responsible for displaying details, providing a sort of front-back connection to Fur SOP.
If all what you want is to have simulated curves/guides, exported back to SI, all what you need is emitter mesh, line primitive and Copy SOP to place copies on mesh points. Over that, launch of the shelf 'wire object' to get DOP (simulation network) - then you'll have simulation, simulation parameters to tweak, f1 for help, and search engine over Houdini forums.