Houdini Poly Modeling Interface

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to Houdini
MauricioPC

Houdini Poly Modeling Interface

Post by MauricioPC » 07 Mar 2015, 12:14

I guess this guy liked the new ZBrush poly modeling tools ...

nodeway

Re: Houdini Poly Modeling Interface

Post by nodeway » 07 Mar 2015, 12:44

Yeah, just with small difference. I see Maya there, not Zbrush.

The problem i have with this kind of interface is that it doesn't fit Houdini workflow. It works in Zbrush because you sit all the time in Viewport. But in Houdini you sit most of the time in Network View, so with this you get suddenly two interfaces, one in Viewport for modeling and second in network view. Windows 8 deja vu anyone? It's like you would want to make from Houdini Lighwave, separate modeler and then rest of the application. Two interfaces slapped in one app, no thanks.

While I do understand that some people may like it, 99% of those people came from viewport centric apps and still don't understand many parts of Houdini and thinks that this would work. No, you are breaking everything that makes Houdini special. Houdini is all about freedom, not about hiding it from the user.

This is the same reason why people that come from apps that have script editor logging executed command, when they come to Houdini they think that it should also have it that way because all other apps have it. But Houdini is not like any other app, it does work different under the hood and that's why people love it.

There are better, more subtle ways to improve Houdini without slapping Metro interface in it's Viewport.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 07 Mar 2015, 13:58

I do understand your point, but I think that the modeling work must be something more artistic than technical.

That's why people like Modo or ZB, you don't think to much about it, you just do. The cool thing about Houdini is that you can model this way and than come back and fix stuff, mess around, etc.

I do agree that this isn't the best example, but it's a first. :)

nodeway

Post by nodeway » 07 Mar 2015, 15:11

MauricioPC wrote: That's why people like Modo or ZB, you don't think to much about it, you just do. The cool thing about Houdini is that you can model this way and than come back and fix stuff, mess around, etc.
Recently I saw cool script for 3dsmax that speeds up modeling by being aware of what type of components are selected. If you pressed "C" for connect, you would get:
- two points selected, will create line
- more than two points selected, creates polygon
- two edges selected, creates polygon
- two polygons selected, creates bridge

And it was all with one key. This is something that I would like to see. It subtle, but also powerfull. And it doesn't brake Houdini workflow.

NNois

Post by NNois » 07 Mar 2015, 21:31

well, this is old !
This guy seems to have moved to a far better plan with his "stretch tool"
https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option ... ic&t=37607

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 07 Mar 2015, 22:06

mantragora wrote: Recently I saw cool script for 3dsmax that speeds up modeling by being aware of what type of components are selected. If you pressed "C" for connect, you would get:
- two points selected, will create line
- more than two points selected, creates polygon
- two edges selected, creates polygon
- two polygons selected, creates bridge

And it was all with one key. This is something that I would like to see. It subtle, but also powerfull. And it doesn't brake Houdini workflow.
What's the tool for 3ds Max? Looks interesting and it's probably where I'm heading after XSI.

nodeway

Post by nodeway » 07 Mar 2015, 22:41

What's the tool for 3ds Max? Looks interesting and it's probably where I'm heading after XSI.
I think I saw it on Polycount forum, but don't ask me what topic it was.