Generalist Layout

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to Modo
El Burritoh

Generalist Layout

Post by El Burritoh » 03 Sep 2014, 03:27

There was some discussion recently about needing a more 'unified' layout in Modo. Here's something I've been working on that might help with that. I made this for 801, but I think it should work with 701 too, just haven't tried it yet...

Generalist Layout

I should note that my goal here was NOT to emulate the Softimage UI in any way, but rather to try to streamline Modo's existing UI design, based on experience gleaned from using other apps like Softimage. The Generalist layout aims to gather features, lists, and commands that are likely to be useful regardless of the task at hand, and place them in a frame around a set of display viewports. The idea is that while the representation of the scene may change (3D view, render view, schematic view, etc.), the toolsets and data lists remain consistent. This has the benefit of keeping tools and settings within reach while reducing the number of GL views one has to manage across the application.

Lemme know if I've missed anything substantial, or if you have any questions or comments.

Update, 9/11/2014, v1.0.1:
- The Modes Toolbar across the top has been reconfigured to show Setup and Compensation modes as icons only
- The Drop Action Label was re-enabled, and the display type changed to show what kind of drop action you're set to
- the GL Recording button has been relocated from the Modes Toolbar to the Playback bar at the bottom
- The splitters were reconfigured so that the render pass section in the top right stays fixed when resizing the Item List horizontally
- The VMaps list was rolled into the Info tab
- An Assembly tab was added to the Properties section
Last edited by El Burritoh on 11 Sep 2014, 23:25, edited 3 times in total.
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

MauricioPC

Re: Generalist Layout

Post by MauricioPC » 03 Sep 2014, 14:45

Hey Tim, great work man! The UI is looking solid, will download later to play with it. B-)

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 03 Sep 2014, 17:31

Updated the layout so that the main 'Scene' tab is now a Quad View.
-Tim Crowson
Personal Website

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 03 Sep 2014, 21:41

Thank you kindly, just installed it. Yeah that's how I imagine a good layout. Thanks again!

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 11 Sep 2014, 23:19

Updated! See first post for details.
-Tim Crowson
Personal Website

Rork

Post by Rork » 13 Sep 2014, 17:22

Hi Tim,

Great work! This is indeed how the Modo UI should be to make it more 'compatible' with other 3d apps out there..

cheers for sharing!

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!