Maya 2017 OS's?

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to Maya
Rez007

Maya 2017 OS's?

Post by Rez007 » 30 Jul 2016, 02:56

I have a real quick question...does Maya 2017 work on Windows 8.1?

There are a couple of hours left to go to Windows 10, which I was planning on not doing, and want to stay with Windows 8.1 for right now, but I just saw that Windows 8.1 is not listed on Maya 2017 system requirements. I thought that was a bit strange and perhaps a mistake. Does anyone have it working on Windows 8.1?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ ... -2017.html

Thank You.

nodeway

Re: Maya 2017 OS's?

Post by nodeway » 30 Jul 2016, 07:26

You can install W10 and roll back to W8.1 (it's saved for 30 days), just to have free W10 assigned to your computer, if you would like to upgrade in later time. Otherwise you will lose free upgrade. Once you roll back to W8.1, you can do what I done, install W10 as dual boot, and test it once in a while.

luceric

Post by luceric » 31 Jul 2016, 03:14

it installs fine on any versions of Windows after Vista.

Rork

Post by Rork » 31 Jul 2016, 17:43

Very valid question, as W10 is a bit temperamental with certain applications, drivers and external devices.

Although the free offer isn't' there anymore, my advice is to check -ALL- applications, drivers and devices for W10 compatibility. Round up all updates for those, wipe the system and start from a clean slate.

I've tried upgrading twice on my machine, but reverted back to Win7 after a day with the second try. First try didn't even succeed all way through....
Upgrading pc's like ours, with a multitude of complex apps, font- and license managers doesn't seem to go well with a upgrade.
Luckily my pc's can easily be put back on a previous version with 2012 server. ;)

So at least I have all the W10 licenses, fort when I want to start clean at some point.

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 02 Aug 2016, 18:29

nodeway wrote:You can install W10 and roll back to W8.1 (it's saved for 30 days), just to have free W10 assigned to your computer, if you would like to upgrade in later time. Otherwise you will lose free upgrade. Once you roll back to W8.1, you can do what I done, install W10 as dual boot, and test it once in a while.
I didn't even think about the dual boot, that is a great idea. Ultimately, I just missed the Windows 10, as I saw there was a 30 day rollback period, but I figured I was going to keep Windows 8.1 for my Softimage license anyway, so I passed. Thanks for the dual boot idea. I'll have to remember that for the future.
luceric wrote:it installs fine on any versions of Windows after Vista.
Perfect! That is exactly what I was looking for. Everywhere else I posted, there was either no reply or people weren't for certain. I thought maybe it had to do something with a framework since it wasn't listed on the Autodesk requirements page. Thanks!
Rork wrote:Very valid question, as W10 is a bit temperamental with certain applications, drivers and external devices.

Although the free offer isn't' there anymore, my advice is to check -ALL- applications, drivers and devices for W10 compatibility. Round up all updates for those, wipe the system and start from a clean slate.

I've tried upgrading twice on my machine, but reverted back to Win7 after a day with the second try. First try didn't even succeed all way through....
Upgrading pc's like ours, with a multitude of complex apps, font- and license managers doesn't seem to go well with a upgrade.
Luckily my pc's can easily be put back on a previous version with 2012 server. ;)

So at least I have all the W10 licenses, fort when I want to start clean at some point.

rob
Yeah, I heard some people were having troubles with Windows 10 upgrades. Since Softimage is no longer supported, I was planning on just keeping this computer on Windows 8.1, then go to Windows 10 with a new computer in the future. I have my game I made and a few other projects that come up, so I didn't want to risk a Windows 10 update coming out that might make Softimage not work for some reason. I guess I'll just buy Windows 10 if I end up needing it on this computer. I kinda got used to Windows 8.1.

Thanks guys!

nodeway

Post by nodeway » 02 Aug 2016, 19:47

Rez007 wrote:I didn't even think about the dual boot, that is a great idea. Ultimately, I just missed the Windows 10, as I saw there was a 30 day rollback period, but I figured I was going to keep Windows 8.1 for my Softimage license anyway, so I passed. Thanks for the dual boot idea. I'll have to remember that for the future.
Actually you can still get it for free with this cheat => http://www.neowin.net/news/free-windows ... 10-upgrade

luceric

Post by luceric » 03 Aug 2016, 04:10

Autodesk dropped support for Windows 8 to save QA time from having to validate 4 different versions of windows (7, 8, 8.1 and 10), but actually most of the team is still on Windows 8 and therefore the app works fine on it. I think Adobe also did the same.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 03 Aug 2016, 04:34

nodeway wrote:
Rez007 wrote:I didn't even think about the dual boot, that is a great idea. Ultimately, I just missed the Windows 10, as I saw there was a 30 day rollback period, but I figured I was going to keep Windows 8.1 for my Softimage license anyway, so I passed. Thanks for the dual boot idea. I'll have to remember that for the future.
Actually you can still get it for free with this cheat => http://www.neowin.net/news/free-windows ... 10-upgrade
Thanks for the link. I think I might just sit with Windows 8.1 since Luceric verified it works with Maya 2017, and perhaps move to Windows 10 with a new computer down-the-road. Thanks for the heads' up, much appreciated!
luceric wrote:Autodesk dropped support for Windows 8 to save QA time from having to validate 4 different versions of windows (7, 8, 8.1 and 10), but actually most of the team is still on Windows 8 and therefore the app works fine on it. I think Adobe also did the same.
Ah. That is understandable. I did see the other day that the Ultimate Suite had it listed, so that felt better too. If you guys are mainly using it, then that is even better. Thanks for letting me know.